Player Discussion: 2019-2020 Goaltending

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I will let Helle's performance in the regular season tell the tale. He's been a league average goalie over his career so I'm at least expecting that level of performance from him.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The Lightning must be hysterical about Vasilevskiy's .885 this preseason.

Not making the playoff with that kind of goaltending. McElhinney clearly needs to get more games with a sterling .953.
The Lightening only have to go back to last year's regular season to feel not too bad about their goaltending. You need to go back two years, before the last goaltending equipment adjustments, before you see evidence of any positive consistency with Hellebuyck. But I'm cheering for you and your Polar Blue coloured glasses... this is a case where I'm fine to be proven wrong by the eternal optimists out there.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Some of you are going to go absolutely crazy over analyzing our goaltending. Just keep some of the crazy off the board please.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The Lightening only have to go back to last year's regular season to feel not too bad about their goaltending. You need to go back two years, before the last goaltending equipment adjustments, before you see evidence of any positive consistency with Hellebuyck. But I'm cheering for you and your Polar Blue coloured glasses... this is a case where I'm fine to be proven wrong by the eternal optimists out there.
They might be concerned about not winning a single game in the playoffs though . ;)

Reactions: Jets4Life

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Goaltending won't be the issue this year

Defense, on the other hand ......
We'll need goaltending to offset our defensive woes (in other words, we need goalies to steal games for us). I see little evidence to suggest that our goaltending will bail out our defensive issues.

Reactions: Ggg99

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
To be proven wrong, you'd have to be right first, which I'm hardly convinced of.

How am I an eternal optimist? Because I don't think everything is permanently hopeless? One year at .913 is hardly something to lose your mind over, but carry on.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
To be proven wrong, you'd have to be right first, which I'm hardly convinced of.

How am I an eternal optimist? Because I don't think everything is permanently hopeless? One year at .913 is hardly something to lose your mind over, but carry on.
Yeah, you're right, Hellebuyck was on fire last season...

images

(with apologies to the Sens fan who used this classic image first in another thread).

Almost all goalie stats are team stats, and our defense is even worse this year, so in what planet should we expect Hellebuyck to do what he couldn't do last year (or perhaps only do once or twice), and that's steal hockey games for us.

[MOD] Is Hellebuyck's play awful? Not really? Is it elite? That's laughable. He is very... average, as of late.

Last edited by a moderator:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Vezina talk with this guy right now? That's rich.

Just as much to suggest he can replicate 2017-18 as there is that he'll replicate the first half of last season.

Let's just relax with the hot takes on both sides. I think he'll end up between .917 and .922 this year.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Interesting thing is stats about goalies tell me very little

For instance Save percentage.

Among goalies that have played in 50+ more games Helly ranks right in the middle of 19 goalies with a 913. But he actually has the 7th most wins. Martin Jones actually has more wins then Helly and he has the worst save percentage among all of the starting goalies. Helly also has seen the most shots against last year.

It just seems like your individual stats seem less important then whether or not your team is actually winning games. Which tells me a lot of that depends on how well your team is playing in front of you.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Have you bothered to look up actual stats on Hellebuyck ?

After All Star break, Hellebuyck was well above average for NHL goalies, even finishing 0.926% during the month of March. For the season, he finished with a 0.913% saving percentage, which was better than the league average of 0.909%. He even outplayed Binnington in the series against St.Louis (0.913 vs 0.908).

Some people will be critical of anyone and anything,

Sure let's lookup the overall stats.

2018-19 Reg Season: Brossoit was .925 . Hellebuyck was .913
2019-20 Pre-Season: Brossoit was .950 . Hellebuyck was .813

Brossoit was better last year. And in the pre-season Brossoit has been better.

Brossoit looks like the better goalie right now. He himself said he is the best goalie in the NHL in the FreePress. Maybe a stretch but good for him and he is at least the best goalie on the Winnipeg Jets. He looks confident and more comfortable in the net than the other guy.

Really frustrating to watch Hellybuyck play through stretches of bad games while we have Brossoit sitting on the bench.

With the defence we have this year there is no time to ride a goalie through below average stretches. The playoffs is possible this year but only with solid goaltending out of the gate and all season.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018

Among goalies that have played in 50+ more games Helly ranks right in the middle of 19 goalies with a 913. But he actually has the 7th most wins. Martin Jones actually has more wins then Helly and he has the worst save percentage among all of the starting goalies. Helly also has seen the most shots against last year.

It just seems like your individual stats seem less important then whether or not your team is actually winning games. Which tells me a lot of that depends on how well your team is playing in front of you.

Save percentage is probably the best simple indicator of how well your goalie is playing. The percentage of shots he actually stops is independent of how many shots he gets it.

Bottom line is percentage that he actually stops is what matters most.

How the team is playing in front of him will impact the quality of those shots but it's a fair assumption to say Helly and Brossoit would have faced the same overall quality of shots playing with the same Jets team.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
My main beef about Helle is the contract he was gifted for one great season when the entire team played an amazing brand of hockey. Too much $ and too much term. Hoping he regains his consistent, puck tracking form and it becomes one less thing to worry/gripe about.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Sure let's lookup the overall stats.

2018-19 Reg Season: Brossoit was .925 . Hellebuyck was .913
2019-20 Pre-Season: Brossoit was .950 . Hellebuyck was .813

Brossoit was better last year. And in the pre-season Brossoit has been better.

Brossoit looks like the better goalie right now. He himself said he is the best goalie in the NHL in the FreePress. Maybe a stretch but good for him and he is at least the best goalie on the Winnipeg Jets. He looks confident and more comfortable in the net than the other guy.

Really frustrating to watch Hellybuyck play through stretches of bad games while we have Brossoit sitting on the bench.

With the defence we have this year there is no time to ride a goalie through below average stretches. The playoffs is possible this year but only with solid goaltending out of the gate and all season.

Well as long as he says he is the best goalie in the NHL then he should play

FYI we haven't gotten below average goaltending from Helly. Last year which a lot of people seem to think was a "Bad year" he was pretty average for a goaltender.

Reactions: Eyeseeing and Ggg99

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think if Helly falters they probably end up going to Brossoit. I just not of the opinion if our team play is garbage again it will turn into wins so easily.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018

FYI we haven't gotten below average goaltending from Helly. Last year which a lot of people seem to think was a "Bad year" he was pretty average for a goaltender.

The better save percentage is probably a better reason to play him.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The better save percentage is probably a better reason to play him.

I think if Brossoit plays the same amount of games as Helly his save percentage will roughly be the same over time. He has never played more then 21 games in the NHL and last year was his best season stat wise

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

I could not agree more. Almost all goalie stats are, in fact, team stats. Even a save percentage doesn't tell you about the quality of shots, or if they were rebounds, or if they took place with a man in the box. More than any other player, the "eye test" is necessary for a complete picture of how well a goalie is doing.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

Average is fine for average teams. I mean, if one is satisfied with average. However, with all the question marks about our defense, I think we'll need goaltending that steals games to actually fool anybody that we're still contenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad