Player Discussion: 2019-2020 Goaltending

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I thought Helle rebounded from his terrible start last year.
We wasted some pretty good efforts from him in the second half with our bone headed play.

Hopefully he can stand tall with our new D.
Especially early in the year while the team figures itself out.

Can you really afford to have a starting netminder that sucks for half a season? Broissot was the better netminder last season and stupid was not going with him more!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I guess after these two preseason games, Hellebuyck is a write-off?

I'm really hoping this season doesn't turn into Pavelec era type posts of three page analysis of every goal against, but based off of the preseason I think that will be the case.
We all know this will be the case.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
General play of the Jets goaltenders is open for discussion here. Micro analysis of every goal against can be discussed in the pertinent game thread.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Can you really afford to have a starting netminder that sucks for half a season? Broissot was the better netminder last season and stupid was not going with him more!

Due to the nature of goaltending it is inevitable through nothing more than random chance alone that you will have stretches of ups and downs. About 1/6th of a Vezina winner's 15 game stretches will be at a league average level.

PS 20/63 is not "half a season"

What about how mediocre he was last year?

What about the fact that you're citing two preseason games as evidence of how bad you feel he currently is, and acting as if a 69 game stretch of above average goaltending last year supports that thesis in any way?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Brossoit was only better in the first half of the season. He had mediocre stats after the All-Star weekend. Hellebuyck, on the other hand performed very well, after getting off to a slow start in the first two months. Helle finished with above average stats. Hellebuyck outplayed Blues goalie Binnington in the first round of the playoffs.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Hellebuyck is hella horrible.
Big and boring is getting on my nerves and the season hasn't started yet.

He's as much of a sieve as this POS DB's are for the Bombers.
Jets aren't making the playoffs this season but all the blame will be proven to be able to be laid at the feet of the D.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Curious to see how this year shakes out in terms of our goaltending.

Hellebuyck seems tough to read, IMO. He was fantastic the first year, struggled second, played out of his mind the next, and was superbly average the next.

Leads me to ask this.... If Hellebuyck has another "down" year and Brossoit continues to trend upward, do we then explore the possibility of moving Hellebuyck and going with Brossoit?

As I mentioned, very interested to see how Helle plays this year.
Right now, I'm a lot more confident with Brossoit in net.

Reactions: Tommigun and Ggg99

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I guess after these two preseason games, Hellebuyck is a write-off?

I'm really hoping this season doesn't turn into Pavelec era type posts of three page analysis of every goal against, but based off of the preseason I think that will be the case.
This is a continuation of his "meh" play of last year... it's not soley based on a couple of pre-season games.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Or it's just preseason. Depends on what you want to believe I guess.
Given his inconsistent play last season, there is reason to believe that his horrible angles, rebound control and general sloppiness will magically disappear in a week?

Well, I'll say one thing for you...hopeless optimists tend to live longer and happier lives than the rest of us.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Given his inconsistent play last season, there is reason to believe that his horrible angles, rebound control and general sloppiness will magically disappear in a week?

Well, I'll say one thing for you...hopeless optimists tend to live longer and happier lives than the rest of us.
Given his Vezina form from the previous year, I think a case can be made he can have a better season. Just because somebody has a different opinion than you, does not make them a hopeless optimist, anymore than it makes you a hopeless pessimist. If you think throwing around cliché's like horrible angles and rebound control, not to mention general sloppiness, makes you a goalie authority, that's great.

He's nowhere near as bad as some have convinced themselves he is. I want to see Broissoit more because I think Helle played too much last year, he doesn't need to play that much when you have another goalie playing as well as Broissoit did. Having said that, the sample size on Broissoit playing well is much smaller than Helle's. All the people claiming he's the answer are the same ones who loved Helle after the 2017-18 season. I expect the flip flopping to continue.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Given his Vezina form from the previous year, I think a case can be made he can have a better season. Just because somebody has a different opinion than you, does not make them a hopeless optimist, anymore than it makes you a hopeless pessimist. If you think throwing around cliché's like horrible angles and rebound control, not to mention general sloppiness, makes you a goalie authority, that's great.
Just not sure what goalie you've been watching the past season and a bit. Hey, I hope you're right. We not only need him to be at Vezina-contending form, we may need the second coming of Dominic Hasek to save us from our AHL defense. But really, he does not look comfortable in net.

You go back to his Vezina contending season, before last season's adjustments to equipment. He really hasn't been able to adjust since then.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Just not sure what goalie you've been watching the past season and a bit. Hey, I hope you're right. We not only need him to be at Vezina-contending form, we may need the second coming of Dominic Hasek to save us from our AHL defense. But really, he does not look comfortable in net.

You go back to his Vezina contending season, before last season's adjustments to equipment. He really hasn't been able to adjust since then.
He really struggled in the first quarter of the season, is second half was really not all that bad and he posted a .926 in March.

.913 after his first 20 games wasn't bad. His consistency was the issue, I expect him to be more consistent, he was .926 in March, he's capable. Small sample I know, but since we're talking about 2 preseason games, what the hell.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
He really struggled in the first quarter of the season, is second half was really not all that bad and he posted a .926 in March.

.913 after his first 20 games wasn't bad. His consistency was the issue, I expect him to be more consistent, he was .926 in March, he's capable. Small sample I know, but since we're talking about 2 preseason games, what the hell.
Well again... he had better be on his game this season.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Have you bothered to look up actual stats on Hellebuyck ?

After All Star break, Hellebuyck was well above average for NHL goalies, even finishing 0.926% during the month of March. For the season, he finished with a 0.913% saving percentage, which was better than the league average of 0.909%. He even outplayed Binnington in the series against St.Louis (0.913 vs 0.908).

Some people will be critical of anyone and anything,

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Have you bothered to look up actual stats on Hellebuyck ?

After All Star break, Hellebuyck was well above average for NHL goalies, even finishing 0.926% during the month of March. For the season, he finished with a 0.913% saving percentage, which was better than the league average of 0.909%. He even outplayed Binnington in the series against St.Louis (0.913 vs 0.908).

Some people will be critical of anyone and anything,
...usually just mediocrity. But I guess he's been "lights out" in the pre-season at least. Oh no, wait...

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
...usually just mediocrity. But I guess he's been "lights out" in the pre-season at least. Oh no, wait...
The Lightning must be hysterical about Vasilevskiy's .885 this preseason.

Not making the playoff with that kind of goaltending. McElhinney clearly needs to get more games with a sterling .953.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The Lightning must be hysterical about Vasilevskiy's .885 this preseason.

Not making the playoff with that kind of goaltending. McElhinney clearly needs to get more games with a sterling .953.

And why wouldn't you play a backup goaltender more if they are outperforming the #1? Isn't the goal to give your team the best chance to win? Go with the hot hand till they ain't hot no more.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
And why wouldn't you play a backup goaltender more if they are outperforming the #1? Isn't the goal to give your team the best chance to win? Go with the hot hand till they ain't hot no more.
Because it's preseason and nobody gives a shit?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hellebuyck is hella horrible.
Big and boring is getting on my nerves and the season hasn't started yet.

He's as much of a sieve as this POS DB's are for the Bombers.
Jets aren't making the playoffs this season but all the blame will be proven to be able to be laid at the feet of the D.
Helly is a good goaltender , not great but good , he will be good again this season . As a former goalie every goal you let in feels like your fault , i'm sure Helly feels the same and wouldn't blame it on the defense and nothing is as bad as the Bombers so called secondary . :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad