Player Discussion: 2019-2020 Goaltending

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Do you think the equipment change has really affected his game that much. Does his style of play require the bigger pads?

Two months into the NHL season, the NHL league average save percent was at .905, whereas it was .912 to .915 each of the past 9 years. By the end of the year it had risen to .910

Other than this evidence, I'd suggest that it simply defies credulity to suggest that changes to equipment rules wouldn't require an adjustment period.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Nothing arbitrary about comparing two goalies playing behind the same team over the course of the latest full season.

And that's why Christopher Gibson is a better goalie than Vezina finalist Robin Lehrer, and that's why Landon Bow is a better goalie than Vezina finalist Ben Bishop.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
IIRC last year Helle gave as part of his reasoning for his slow start tweaking his style/stance slightly during the summer. Then part way through the year he either reverted to his old style or worked out the kinks of the new style I can’t remember.

Hopefully he doesn’t have another slow start this year. Jets need to gain some points in this first month when the schedule is a bit softer.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I am hopeful that Helle has a good season. I think right now I would say that I do have a decent level of concern with him at the moment. From last year and into this preseason, he has not filled me with confidence like he used to. Not sure if it's technical or mental, but he's letting in what I consider to be soft, or savable goals almost every game. That needs to change for this team (any team really) to have a chance.

Reactions: DRW204

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So when we start the season with Kuli as our #1 RHD I think it goes without saying we will need our goaltending to be lights out to compete this year. I will cross my fingers......pray.....sacrifice something if necessary :laugh:

GJG

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Can we please fire Wade Flaherty? Other than Hellebuyck's one good year and the heater that Pav went on to get us to the playoffs, our goaltending has consistently been among the worst in the league. It can't be a coincidence that all of our goalies perform so poorly and are so inconsistent. Either our goalie scouts & evaluators are bad (possible), or Flaherty is teaching them the wrong stuff (much more likely). Replace Flaherty and see what happens after a few months.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Can we please fire Wade Flaherty? Other than Hellebuyck's one good year and the heater that Pav went on to get us to the playoffs, our goaltending has consistently been among the worst in the league. It can't be a coincidence that all of our goalies perform so poorly and are so inconsistent. Either our goalie scouts & evaluators are bad (possible), or Flaherty is teaching them the wrong stuff (much more likely). Replace Flaherty and see what happens after a few months.

Here's an angle very much worth pursuing.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
In early 2014, I was convinced that Hellebuyck was going to be the best goalie for the Jets in the future. I was right. I still support Hellebuyck, but now there is a new kid in town. Enter the Birdman.

I've know Berdin has been something special since the 2017-18 season. He eclipsed Comrie as the Jets best potential goalie prospect, and could see action later in the season if one of our keeper goes down to injury. I believe in Berdin, the first Jets goalie who can handle the puck better than some non-goaltenders.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Bottom line... Hellebuyck was not helpful at all to the Jets cause. Did he make even one big save? I think maybe one... but as I recall the Jets defenseman (Morrissey I believe) slowed up the Ranger in time for Hellebuyck to make the save.

As Wheeler said, when you get 50 shots on net, you expect a better fate. The defense was exactly the way the defense is going to be this season. We need goaltending. We didn't get it. End of story.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I've said this since year three. What does he add???????????????? (infinity question marks)?

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Meh. The ova playing of ahl D like Biteto and having Kuli with Josh is more troubling. Henrik wasn't great either.
Wasn't Bitteto tripped, which wasn't called and led to the Rangers first goal? Other than that, I don't think he was that bad. Kulikov played about as well as he possibly could have.... which meant, Morrissey did about 80 percent of the work.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
In early 2014, I was convinced that Hellebuyck was going to be the best goalie for the Jets in the future. I was right. I still support Hellebuyck, but now there is a new kid in town. Enter the Birdman.

I've know Berdin has been something special since the 2017-18 season. He eclipsed Comrie as the Jets best potential goalie prospect, and could see action later in the season if one of our keeper goes down to injury. I believe in Berdin, the first Jets goalie who can handle the puck better than some non-goaltenders.

Holy Goalie, Batman. One stinker to start the year and you pack up and move to Berdin County. :laugh: On the plus side, Helly avatars make me twitchy so :thumbu:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Wasn't Bitteto tripped, which wasn't called and led to the Rangers first goal? Other than that, I don't think he was that bad. Kulikov played about as well as he possibly could have.... which meant, Morrissey did about 80 percent of the work.

I thought that was a penalty but who are we to question professional referees? :sarcasm:

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
There may be an explanation for Helly's suckiness last night. The ghost of suspended Dustin Byfuglien. Does Helle still have the big man painted on his mask? Can someone sharpie a mustache on his face, or white it out? We can always repaint it if he ever decides to come back.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
There may be an explanation for Helly's suckiness last night. The ghost of suspended Dustin Byfuglien. Does Helle still have the big man painted on his mask? Can someone sharpie a mustache on his face, or white it out? We can always repaint it if he ever decides to come back.

Does that mean if Buff retires, Helly could get even worse?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Friedman nailed it on the radio today, the reason Helly says those things to the media is because he is trained to say those things by sport psychologists. He needs to say those things and the reason is that he is lacking confidence. People want him to take ownership, but he won't because he needs to find that confidence and it worries me that he is lacking that right now. I spoke to confidence and goalies in great detail a few years ago in this thread. I don't know why Helly is lacking confidence in this pre season and game 1 but it is so critical that he gets it back and however he needs to do that I hope he does. The position is 80% mental and as I have said before if you lack confidence and second guess yourself in the NHL you will get lit up. Helly was like that year one when he was learning his craft that season. Year two the confidence was evident and his performance was very good. Im seeing something in his body language this season closer to year 1 than 2 and it seems that he is reading the play slower and second guessing himself a bit which at this level is unforgiving. Im not sure why, maybe its pressure? Maybe it's a coach trying to change his game again? I am his biggest supporter and I know he has the tools to have a great season but I wonder what is between his ears right now? I am confident he will get it back soon but confidence is just so important for a goalie so if he doesn't get that back he may be inconsistent once again this season. I feel like he's got a big enough sample of great hockey that I know what he can do. Now he needs to do it. I like the player. But last night even I felt bad for the guy as the Jets deserved better. Best thing now, get a shutout next game and earn the confidence right back.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Friedman also said on Calgary radio, or at least he agreed, that it could grow old fast with the team as it look like excuses.

Helley strikes me as emotionally fragile. I'm not shocked he has to tell himself in the mirror he's a champ and a beast and the bad performances are the stars aligning wrong, and Saturn is in retro-grade

Reactions: DannyGallivan

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
The way the Jets D system are the last year and 2 games.
We need a generational goaltender to get us through it.
They dont come often

Roy
Hazek

I dont include Brodeur as he plays in a great system. So dont know how he response in a system like the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: