10 Kotkiniemi
11 Veleno
12 Hayton
13 Ty Smith
14 Farabee
T15 Denisenko
T15 Kravtsov

https://www.tsn.ca/the-big-four-solidify-spots-in-tsn-draft-ranking-1.1066345

In fact, the Big Four in this year’s draft — Dahlin, Russian winger Andrei Svechnikov, Czech winger Filip Zadina and American winger Brady Tkachuk — hold down the same spots as they did at mid-season.

{snip}

And while there was a little bit of separation between those three and Hughes at No. 9, understand one thing about this year’s draft: Based on our survey, there is a huge drop off in consensus after No. 9.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
McKenzie did a concensus top 15 ahead of the lottery

1 Dahlin
2 Svechnikov
3 Zadina
4 Tkachuk
5 Bouchard
6 Boqvist
7 Wahlstrom
8 Dobson
9 Hughes
10 Kotkiniemi
11 Veleno
12 Hayton
13 Ty Smith
14 Farabee
T15 Denisenko
T15 Kravtsov

https://www.tsn.ca/the-big-four-solidify-spots-in-tsn-draft-ranking-1.1066345

In fact, the Big Four in this year’s draft — Dahlin, Russian winger Andrei Svechnikov, Czech winger Filip Zadina and American winger Brady Tkachuk — hold down the same spots as they did at mid-season.

{snip}

And while there was a little bit of separation between those three and Hughes at No. 9, understand one thing about this year’s draft: Based on our survey, there is a huge drop off in consensus after No. 9.

I have Wahlstrom as my #4. I think he is more dynamic offensively than Tkachuk, who while he is a great player, plays a bit different of a role.Wahlstrom just has more polish to his game and is a way better shooter.
Really wish we still had a first rounder. Should be some good kids available still in the back half of the first.

This draft is loaded with shooters though. Svech, Zadina, Wahlstrom, Nyman. Any team looking for scorers should be heavily interested in these guys.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Don't they all endu up as "enforcers?" :sarcasm:

hahaha well that and a lot of them tend to stay all 4 years. It's weird. It's like they value education or something. Killorn, Kerfoot, Biega, Vesey and Moore all stayed 4 years. Two went to different teams then the ones that drafted them. That is all former Harvard players currently in the NHL.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
hahaha well that and a lot of them tend to stay all 4 years. It's weird. It's like they value education or something. Killorn, Kerfoot, Biega, Vesey and Moore all stayed 4 years. Two went to different teams then the ones that drafted them. That is all former Harvard players currently in the NHL.

That degree is golden

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
One guy that might be there that I have watched develop all year and quite like is Riley Sutter from Everett. He is a big,skilled center. I think his play from the start of the year till now has improved immensely. He is having a very good playoffs and plays against other teams top lines. His speed has improved quite a bit over the year, He is close to being 6'4 and around 205 right now. He is kind of a faster Adam Lowry. I think he might move up the charts though since centers are at a premium this year

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
One guy that might be there that I have watched develop all year and quite like is Riley Sutter from Everett. He is a big,skilled center. I think his play from the start of the year till now has improved immensely. He is having a very good playoffs and plays against other teams top lines. His speed has improved quite a bit over the year, He is close to being 6'4 and around 205 right now. He is kind of a faster Adam Lowry. I think he might move up the charts though since centers are at a premium this year
Is this the next wave of Sutter's?

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Goalies don't get drafted too quickly, so with our first pick we'd probably have a chance at one of the top three ranked goalies.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Hudson Elyniuk (Pat Elyniuk son) who was drafted In 2016 in the mid 3 round by Carolina. He is 6'5 195 Lbs center and had 86 points in 71 games for Spokane in the W.H.L this year.

Reminds me of Lowry

I believe Bob McKenzie has stated that Elyniuk plans on not signing with Carolina by June 1st and re entering the 2018 draft.

I had him on my list of possible good picks for the Jets in 2016. But , I had him penciled in the 4th or 5th round where we took Cederholm and Stallard. I was very surprised he went as early as he did in 2016.

If he re enters the 2018 draft Where do you think he gets re drafted ? I allways liked Patty Elyniuk on Hawerchucks line and I kicked ass with him on Genises E.A. sports hockey.

I also had Ronning penciled in for a long shot in the 6 th or 7 th round of the 2016 draft. He only had 60 plus goals last year for the Vancouver Giants. NYR drafted him in the 7th round. That was the year Chevy traded our 2016 7th pick for a 2017 th 7 th round pick as he said his scouts were not overly excited about anyone left.

Last edited:
Reactions: kabidjan18

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Hudson Elyniuk (Pat Elyniuk son) who was drafted In 2016 in the mid 3 round by Carolina. He is 6'5 195 Lbs center and had 86 points in 71 games for Spokane in the W.H.L this year.

Reminds me of Lowry

I believe Bob McKenzie has stated that Elyniuk plans on not signing with Carolina by June 1st and re entering the 2018 draft.

I had him on my list of possible good picks for the Jets in 2016. But , I had him penciled in the 4th or 5th round where we took Cederholm and Stallard. I was very surprised he went as early as he did in 2016.

If he re enters the 2018 draft Where do you think he gets re drafted ? I allways liked Patty Elyniuk on Hawerchucks line and I kicked ass with him on Genises E.A. sports hockey.

I also had Ronning penciled in for a long shot in the 6 th or 7 th round of the 2016 draft. He only had 60 plus goals last year for the Vancouver Giants. NYR drafted him in the 7th round. That was the year Chevy traded our 2016 7th pick for a 2017 th 7 th round pick as he said his scouts were not overly excited about anyone left.

Every time I watched the Giants I was underwhelmed by Ronning. He does score a lot though.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Frederik Andersen is the only re-draft success story I can recall. Drafted in the 7th round in 2010 by the Carolina Hurricanes, went back in to the 2012 draft and was taken in the 3rd round by Anaheim.

I haven't really searched. Kichton and Sutter are the only other ones that come to mind.

Ah, Google turned up this article - mostly busts but a few successes: Top 15 NHL Players Who Were Drafted Twice

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Alan Quine is the most recent one who made it, he had his brief moment of glory playing on the Tavares line in the 2016 playoffs.
Of course Andersen couldn't be double drafted any more under the current CBA. It's really just CHL players now. Andersen's rights would have been owned by CAR until Summer 2014. Maybe the Canes make the playoffs in an alternate timeline...
Adam Mascherin is the other guy who doesn't want to sign with his club and might re-enter.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Isn't it a red flag when a player doesn't sign with the team that drafted him?

It might be for some teams. Players should have some choice in their future but like Wheeler, Vesey, Kerfoot and the like, you have to pay the price of leaving some money on the table early in order to do so.

I have no issue if a player decides to go that route but if I were in charge of a team, I'd do my due diligence and figure out if they even want to play for my team in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad