2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yea point taken....I always enjoy draft day but its a bit tougher this year without a pick in the 1st round. Either way I will get ready at some point.....usually I have the Black Book out by now and I am jacked.
And what if the Jets make a big trade that includes multiple picks and you aren't prepared?;) Get at it PS :sarcasm::thumbu:

Reactions: surixon and ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
And what if the Jets make a big trade that includes multiple picks and you aren't prepared?;) Get at it PS :sarcasm::thumbu:

Yea I will get ready for sure King......I just need 24 hours to shift priorities.

Reactions: GNP

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Not only have we all completely ignored the upcoming draft this year, the prospects thread has been extremely quiet all year.
This was the year where we all stopped dreaming of the future and started living in the present.
But tonight, the present really does suck.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not only have we all completely ignored the upcoming draft this year, the prospects thread has been extremely quiet all year.
This was the year where we all stopped dreaming of the future and started living in the present.
But tonight, the present really does suck.

I've paid attention. As HFJets resident prospect man ask away about anyone.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
No first round pick makes this years draft far less interesting
Honestly I paid zero attention to prospects this go around so I don't even know who to get hyped for when we're making our selections. Funny what happens when your team is actually doing well.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Corey Pronman came out with his final top 70 2018 draft prospects list today and Jett Woo did not make his list (yikes)? Corey has a unique take on things and I don't always line up with him but I do enjoy that he marches to the beat of his own drummer.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Corey Pronman came out with his final top 70 2018 draft prospects list today and Jett Woo did not make his list (yikes)? Corey has a unique take on things and I don't always line up with him but I do enjoy that he marches to the beat of his own drummer.

There must be some serious concern that he may never recover from his concussions for him to fall out of the top 2 rounds.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hopefully Chevy can trade his way back into the 1st rd.
I was thinking this as well. Now that the season has ended, we should be in for a wild ride this off season with all the signings that need to be done. Getting back into the 1st round would all of a sudden put some spice into the draft.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There must be some serious concern that he may never recover from his concussions for him to fall out of the top 2 rounds.

Just shows how dynamic prospect development is. Black Book had Woo at #30 in their March ranking and it will be interesting to see how he lands in their end of final ranking. Lots of interesting prospects this year I love the Stastny pick up and would do it again tomorrow but it hurts to see all the talent in this draft and know that now we are becoming the hunted as other teams improve their talent pool while we sit on the sidelines this year in the 1st round. All part of the cycle I am just taking time to adjust.

Ok I apparently want it all :laugh:.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
I've paid attention. As HFJets resident prospect man ask away about anyone.
Vesalainen-regardless of room for him he was playing great this year. What will prevent him from becoming a jet?
Niko-great year again. How dis his defensive game progress IYO?
What’s your target in this years draft?

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Vesalainen-regardless of room for him he was playing great this year. What will prevent him from becoming a jet?
Niko-great year again. How dis his defensive game progress IYO?
What’s your target in this years draft?

As far as Vesalainen goes the major thing keeping him from being a Jet coming into next season will be how he transitions to the NA game and if he can beat out his competition. Unless he comes into camp as one of the best players I think it's likely he spends a season with the Moose where he can become a focal point of their PP.
Niku is definitely going to be a offence first type of defender. Like most guys who think the game that way they need to play with more stable partners when they come into the league. Best thing for his game will be having a dependable partner that can cover for him while he does his thing. More defensive aspects of his game will eventually develop.

Our first pick in this years draft is likely to be 60th overall I believe. I have my eye mostly on centers with that pick. Jack Drury, Jack McBain, Milos Roman, Phillip Kurashev and Alex Khovanov would all be great picks at the back end of the 2nd round.

Reactions: Finnflash

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Wouldn't mind taking a chance on Khovanov. His whole season was pretty much derailed by sickness and his draft stock dropped like a rock.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think this years draft sucks. Bad year for Canadian players and that usually means a weaker draft. Going to take some doing to find some talent in the later rounds

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wouldn't mind taking a chance on Khovanov. His whole season was pretty much derailed by sickness and his draft stock dropped like a rock.

Yeah Colin White and I think Matt Barzal battled mono and ended up dropping a lot in their draft year. Khovanov sees the ice really well, has good hands and is a really solid passer. Has a pretty slick shot as well. Definitely needs to work on his skating.
I'm not entirely sure how the Jets feel about Russians though. In 52 picks through 7 drafts they have only selected 2 Russians. Pavel Kraskovsky, a center, at 164th overall in the 6th round of the 2014 draft, who I believe just signed an extension through the 19/20 season in the KHL.
And Mikhal Berdin, a goalie, picked at 157th overall in the 6th round of the 2016 draft. We just signed him not long ago.

Jets definitely seem to shy away from Russians.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think this years draft sucks. Bad year for Canadian players and that usually means a weaker draft. Going to take some doing to find some talent in the later rounds

It's top heavy. A lot of really solid wingers and dmen. Not great on centers. Not great if you don't have a 1st round pick though as the draft isn't crazy deep. We should still get a decent player at the 60ish mark but I can bet that they will be a long shot to be a top 6/top 4 type player.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Might be some interesting guys around at 62 for us. Calen Addison might be there but I think he goes earlier. Woo might be there but with his concussion issues I am not sure. A couple of guys I heard the Jets might like is Oskar Back a big center from sweden and 2 Defensemen on the opposite sides of the spectrum Nicolas Beaudin from Drummondville and Kevin Bahl from Ottawa

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Might be some interesting guys around at 62 for us. Calen Addison might be there but I think he goes earlier. Woo might be there but with his concussion issues I am not sure. A couple of guys I heard the Jets might like is Oskar Back a big center from sweden and 2 Defensemen on the opposite sides of the spectrum Nicolas Beaudin from Drummondville and Kevin Bahl from Ottawa

I thought we were 60 but yeah I guess we are even lower at 62.

Back isn't who I would want at 62 but he could be a good pick in the 3rd/4th rounds. With Stanley developing a little better I don't think we need to take another chance on another big low scoring left handed defencemen. We don't need the tallest team in the league to win games, we need the fastest. Beaudin is definitely someone I have my eye on. He's a lot like a Green/Niku type. Incredible skater. Feel like he will go well before our first pick at 62 though.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Aren’t Jets 29th pick? Why would they be 62 and not 60 in 2nd round? Does 2nd round convert to season standings and not playoff results?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Aren’t Jets 29th pick? Why would they be 62 and not 60 in 2nd round? Does 2nd round convert to season standings and not playoff results?

Yeah I'm not 100% sure about the reseeding. We will be 60 or 62 though.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
As far as Vesalainen goes the major thing keeping him from being a Jet coming into next season will be how he transitions to the NA game and if he can beat out his competition. Unless he comes into camp as one of the best players I think it's likely he spends a season with the Moose where he can become a focal point of their PP.
Niku is definitely going to be a offence first type of defender. Like most guys who think the game that way they need to play with more stable partners when they come into the league. Best thing for his game will be having a dependable partner that can cover for him while he does his thing. More defensive aspects of his game will eventually develop.

Our first pick in this years draft is likely to be 60th overall I believe. I have my eye mostly on centers with that pick. Jack Drury, Jack McBain, Milos Roman, Phillip Kurashev and Alex Khovanov would all be great picks at the back end of the 2nd round.

You can count me in on having Kurashev and Drury on my list of Jets draft hopefuls and I’m really wishing Chevy can turn some of our spare parts into an earlier 2nd or a first if a larger trade for cap purposes.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I still am of the belief the Jets will have a first round pick when it is all said and done. Someone will need to be moved for cap purposes. Perrault is the likely bet atm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->