2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think we all agree on getting the BPA. But we're discussing how players would fit if they are picked.

Otherwise this is a dead discussion thread since all we can say is "pick BPA"

Reactions: KINGS17

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I wouldn't take a goaltender in the 1st round whether he's BPA or not.

Don't really need to worry about that. The vast majority of Goalie prospects never get rated first round picks. It's always overwhelmingly forwards and Defense.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I think we all agree on getting the BPA.

I think this year it's different. If you believe in the whole "Cup Window" philosophy, then you also believe that ours is closing fast. I do believe Blake will try to take the BPA *who is also NHL-ready. This might mean that he selects somebody who wasn't drafted in either 2016 or 2017 and then had to re-enter this year's draft. We'll see how it all turns out in about 60 days, but my instincts say we'll be looking for a guy who can help us IMMEDIATELY.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I think this year it's different. If you believe in the whole "Cup Window" philosophy, then you also believe that ours is closing fast. I do believe Blake will try to take the BPA *who is also NHL-ready. This might mean that he selects somebody who wasn't drafted in either 2016 or 2017 and then had to re-enter this year's draft. We'll see how it all turns out in about 60 days, but my instincts say we'll be looking for a guy who can help us IMMEDIATELY.

They aren't getting somebody who will step into the lineup at #20, even if they somehow jumped into the back half of the Top 10 or 12, their is about a 40% chance that they would take an American (Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, Farabee and Hughes) who is gonna play college hockey next year.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
They aren't getting somebody who will step into the lineup at #20, even if they somehow jumped into the back half of the Top 10 or 12, their is about a 40% chance that they would take an American (Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, Farabee and Hughes) who is gonna play college hockey next year.

You are spot on about not getting a player at #20 who is NHL ready. Zero chance in that. I would love to get Wahlstrom, but he will likely be gone in the top 8, maybe even the top 5.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Sign me up for the Svechnikov bandwagon! If Carolina takes the Kings pick at 20 plus Muzzin+, I’d jump on it in a heartbeat

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Playing in the NHL sooner doesn't mean the prospect is better. Would you rather have Brandon Gormley or Derek Forbort? Gormley played in the NHL two years before Forbort and was drafted higher, but he only has five career points in the NHL.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
This is the first year I don't know to much about the prospects nor can I get excited over one . To many euros ranked high this year and I don't know anything about them . What are some comparable draft years to 2018?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is the first year I don't know to much about the prospects nor can I get excited over one . To many euros ranked high this year and I don't know anything about them . What are some comparable draft years to 2018?

I was thinking the same thing, a lot of Euros with question marks about how their games will translate, like Bokk. Might be a good year to get another one, frankly, take that swing. I'm liking that Olofsson kid!

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Currently the GM for the Kings for the Oilers HFBoards Mock Draft. Picked Hayton at #20. What are the kings biggest needs prospect wise?

Last edited:

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I hope not but at 20 I think it’s really hard to predict. I can see a few guys that they might think have more upside on defense in that slot.

In this draft...the players around pick 20 or later are actually more forward heavy than dman. The good dman will go early leaving the "non-Top4" guys and the headcase that is Ryan Merkley at our pick. I'd rather the Kings take a forward than dman.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Yes, if Kravtsov is still around at 20, you take him. Say he compares to Evgeny Kuznetsov...no substitution for that kind of skill. They say he may drop some, due to his contract situation...meanking he must be locked up a few yrs, but I could not find the specifics of that.
Would rather go after that, than a possible top 4 defenseman, or possible top 9 forward. I think some high skill players may fall to
20. I prefer a forward at 20. BFA. (best forward available) Kings need to get a top 6 forward, more than anything.
Players like Veleno, (but he should be gone by 15) Kaut, Kupari, Kotkanieni (would love to be able to get Kotkaniemi, but he should be gone by 15 too) Lundestrom, Bokk or Olafsson. And Serran Noel, Hayton, Denisenko, Akil Thomas or McLeod as well.

Kings D corp is decent and not what holds this team back...and Brickley and Clague are truly potential 3/4 D's...and still hope for LaDue. Then there's also Austin Strand and Michael Anderson. Andrerson was apparently a surprise at the WJC and his college team were NCAA champions. Not a bad year at all.
Conversely, how many potential top 6 forwards in the pipeline, outside of Vilardi? Possibly JAD. I would have no problem if the
Kings traded 20 + , to go after a Wahlstrom or someone in the top 10 they covet.

I LOVE eliteprospects site, as they link to DRAFT pages of: McKeens, ISS, Hockeyprospect.com, and futureconsiderations.com...and all the
eliteprospects profiles INCLUDE ALL STATS from the tournaments and include playoffs. AWESOME site to make comparisons...and they include Central Scouting rankings too. You also see the rankings of all sites on the player profile.

Elite Prospects - NHL Draft CenterISS HOCKEY TOP 31

www.mynhldraft.com is good too, and links videos.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
If there is a really good pick for a fair price the Kings should make the trade. If not, the Kings should 100% draft a forward with their pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad