2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The IslAnders own two first round picks, there’s and Calgary’s, which gives them decent relative odds at landing one lottery pick.

If I were Garth Snow and trying to prove to ownership I did everything possible to keep JT, then I would be in the market for upgrades prior to July 1st. Trading the lottery pick and Anthony Beauvillier for the Kings pick at 20, plus Pearson and Martinez could be exactly what he needs and can pull off.

For the Kings management, it puts them in position to draft a guy like Svenchnikov or Tkachuck. Plus, Beauvillier is a young, left hand shot who had a great rookie season. It also sends the message that the team in a younger, more offensive direction.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
The IslAnders own two first round picks, there’s and Calgary’s, which gives them decent relative odds at landing one lottery pick.

If I were Garth Snow and trying to prove to ownership I did everything possible to keep JT, then I would be in the market for upgrades prior to July 1st. Trading the lottery pick and Anthony Beauvillier for the Kings pick at 20, plus Pearson and Martinez could be exactly what he needs and can pull off.

For the Kings management, it puts them in position to draft a guy like Svenchnikov or Tkachuck. Plus, Beauvillier is a young, left hand shot who had a great rookie season. It also sends the message that the team in a younger, more offensive direction.

I'm pretty sure that Calgary's pick is lottery protected.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm pretty sure that Calgary's pick is lottery protected.

Unfortunately for them, they didn't protect it. I was really tempted to invite my friend who's a Flames fan to watch the lottery with us on Saturday. She'd be oblivious that they dealt the pick, so it would have been amusing to watch her reaction if Calgary got bumped up.

Ottawa's pick is lottery protected and St. Louis' pick was top 10 protected.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just when I thought Sportsnet did a decent job producing the draft lottery reveal last year without making it too much of a farce.....

......they were handed a tough hand and get Vegas/San Jose as the Saturday Hockey Night in Canada game. So they're now planning on revealing #4-15 around 5pm PST like usual, but now they're going to wait until the 2nd intermission to reveal #1-3.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Checked out some of the U-18 game, quite a few top prospects for this years draft but the best player on the ice was 16 year old Jack Hughes who seriously probably belongs at the senior WC’s as opposed to this tourney. Just amazing to think he will be back at U-18 next year. Apologies to Matthews and Eichel but this is the best American prospect in a long time.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Checked out some of the U-18 game, quite a few top prospects for this years draft but the best player on the ice was 16 year old Jack Hughes who seriously probably belongs at the senior WC’s as opposed to this tourney. Just amazing to think he will be back at U-18 next year. Apologies to Matthews and Eichel but this is the best American prospect in a long time.

Yeah I've only gotten to view him a couple of times but each time he's looked like he's in a different league. The hype is real.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Reactions: KingTrouty

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
New mock draft is posted. Kaut, Berggren, Ylonen just miss the first round. Same with Bernard-Docker, Dellandrea, McGlaughlin -- all are first-round quality.

Hate reactionary drafting but Kings need to get quicker. A winger might be a better option but they need speed down the middle as well.

NHL Mock Draft 2018: Sabres hit jackpot with Rasmus Dahlin; lottery prizes aplenty after No. 1
I think if they're there at 20, they do go with Samuelsson or Miller over a Kempe clone. Always BPA.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Noonan61

Aug 16, 2011
LA
Samuelsson is definitely the safe pick at 20. Crazy first round with all the Dmen that will be available. I'm praying for Farabee to be available, but he will for sure be picked in the top-15.

Would you take a chance at 20 with Merkley? Top-5 talent, but has some off ice issues?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Would you take a chance at 20 with Merkley? Top-5 talent, but has some off ice issues?

Apparently some on ice issues in terms of coachability and how his defensive game is pretty rough. I've seen a few OHL people mention him in the same breath as Anthony DeAngelo was a first rounder in 2014, but is already with his third franchise.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
And no big "project" defensemen. If they pick one of those I will personally fly to Dallas and kick Blake in the nuts.

I'm gonna hold you to your word.

Ill be pissed if we get another forbort/Linthuniemi or whatever.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm gonna hold you to your word.

Ill be pissed if we get another forbort/Linthuniemi or whatever.

On one hand, there's a lot of highly-ranked d-men, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a faller. Then again, maybe not, since most of the teams regularly drafting in the top-10 or so are hurting for d-men. But if it's BPA, hard to say no.

On the other hand, we're starving for high end offensive talent, so getting a d-man at all kinda stinks in my eyes.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I would really like to see the Kings snag one of the Islanders two 1st rounders. Isles need NHL defensemen right now. Since their picks are 11 and 12, they not getting someone who's going to play right away.

If Kings really think Voynov is coming back, and they're high on Brickly, now could be the time to move a dman.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I would really like to see the Kings snag one of the Islanders two 1st rounders. Isles need NHL defensemen right now. Since their picks are 11 and 12, they not getting someone who's going to play right away.

If Kings really think Voynov is coming back, and they're high on Brickly, now could be the time to move a dman.

Definitely could see the Islanders moving one of the picks for a LHD. Not that their right side is great, but they technically have those spots filled (Boychuk/Pulock/Mayfield). The Flames allegedly are looking to get back into the first round and T.J. Brodie seems like trade bait; Albeit it would be odd to see them trade 1st for Hamonic only to possibly give up Brodie to reacquire the pick. I'd be curious if the Islanders would give up that pick for Ryan Murray. Garth Snow infamously tried to trade all of his 2012 draft picks (although to be fair, that sounds worse than it was) to move for Murray. Columbus' current management inherited Murray and they've been using him a 4/5 defenseman.

That being said, I think Kotkaniemi's the only guy I'm enthused about in that neighborhood of the draft. Maybe Ty Smith as well.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Just take the BPA. There is a good chance the asset may be traded in the future. A GM can never know exactly what a team will need 5 years down the line.

Remember how excited we all were when the Kings acquired Jack Johnson?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00