2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
From Elliotte Friedman's column:
31 Thoughts: What owner Tom Dundon wants in a new Hurricanes GM - Sportsnet.ca

25. In the aftermath of the trade deadline, I asked junior expert extraordinaire Sam Cosentino for feedback on what went down with some of the prospects. He had an interesting answer about the upcoming draft.

Sam said he would compare it to 2008, where 12 defencemen went in the first round. Eight of them were right-shot defenders, some real studs among the group: John Carlson, Drew Doughty, Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo. Add Zach Bogosian, Michael Del Zotto, Jake Gardiner, Tyler Myers, Luca Sbisa and Luke Schenn — you’ve got a lot of guys who hit 500 games (Sbisa is at 495.) In his February rankings, Sam had 13 defencemen in the first round, six with right shots. With defence and centre being the most premium spots to pick, it’s a really good year to take a shot at a top pairing defender.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Did people think Matthew was going to be this good before he was drafted, KB11? Maybe his brother is riding his coattails a bit?

I mean its possible, but in Matthew's case there were at least 4 players who were dead solid locks to go ahead of him with Auston Matthews, Laine, Dubois and Puljujarvi. So I don't think it was much not rating Matthew, it was more than there were better players than him. Now I don't think either Zadina or Svechnikov are on the level of those players from Matthew's draft, but I'm pretty comfortable in saying those 2 are better than Brady this year. And from most mock draft and rankings, they have Brady going around the same range that Matthew went 4-5. 2 was definitely the highest I've seen Brady go. And if you compare their stats, because they pretty much had the same development pattern, Matthew was definitely a higher point producer than Brady. But from I have heard about Brady is that apparently he's even more nastier than his brother, which means we want him to go as far away from the pacific division as possible. :laugh:

Reactions: KingTrouty

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Button is so strange. Tkachuk ahead of Svechnikov and Zadina? Veleno at 27?

Button does concede in the article that those three could go in any order. In past interviews, Button notes how we as fans can perceive a big difference between a couple spots when the separation could be minuscule in his mind.

And there is the difference between his ranking not necessarily being a predictor of where a guy will go. In 2015, he wasn't high on Pavel Zacha (had him 24th on his final list) but had him going #6 to the Devils in his mock draft. A couple years later, Zacha is probably closer to where Button had him.

Tough thing with Button is that he's juggling viewing prospects with a full time studio gig. He gets out to junior games and the major tournaments, but he doesn't get as many viewings as a full time scout. Even in this article, he concedes that he hasn't seen a couple highly ranked guys (Bokk/Kravtsov), so he omitted them from his list.

It's too bad we never quite get a full look at teams' draft boards, because I think we'd be surprised how far they stray from consensus. Vancouver had their 2010 list leaked by accident a few years back. Philadelphia did a behind the scenes video and forgot to blur out their list. It was humorous to see Paul Holmgren walk into the meeting and being puzzled why his staff suddenly had Sean Monahan ranked below Sam Morin and Mirco Mueller.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Button is so strange. Tkachuk ahead of Svechnikov and Zadina? Veleno at 27?

I'm meh on Button, to be honest. Frankly, I think my biggest criticism of him is how he got emotional and biased in his analysis of the Jack Johnson to Columbus trade.

That said, while I may not agree with his rankings sometimes, I do not question the effort he puts into actually watching the players, speaking with scouts, and putting together a respectable list based off of his own opinions. It's something that, if I actually had the finances to do so, wish I could do as a hobby (or, well... being paid to do it, but I'm nowhere near that).

He has strange lists, but teams have strange lists. It's why you see Kopitar or Vilardi fall to 11, or Simmonds being nabbed at the 2nd (even though he wasn't even ranked by CSS).

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think lists are going to bounce around a bit because there are some really solid players, could be the best draft in a while for sure. Some superstar potential up high and lots of impact guys are going to be sprinkled around the first round.

What I'm hoping for is the BPA at #30.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Kings will grab Noel at 18. I am so sure.

Ranked around 15-20.

Big, not so good skater and one of the youngest draftees like Vilardi, Kopitar, JAD, Tukonen, Kempe...

He will break out next season and than you will have a bargain because he is several months younger than most.

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
A couple of players I like at our probable position

ALEXEYEV ALEXANDER, big russian D comparable to Sergachev, late 99 birthday and injured, could drop, would be ideal if avaliable in second round but I doubt it
Alexander Alexeyev

DOMINIK BOKK
Dominik Bokk

and as others have mentioned
SERRON NOEL, big guy, one of the youngest in the draft; Kings have history of drafting late birthdays
Serron Noel

most likely avaliable in third round
ALBIN ERIKSSON, very good skater , big guy
Albin Eriksson

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Really think Jared McIsaac is being underrated and will hopefully fall into our laps... has a Jake Muzzin type game(the good years) w/a Willie Mitchell type edge..

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
No Russians. The Kings have terrible luck with Russians. I can think of 3 good ones to wear a Kings jersey, Zhitnik, Frolov and Voynov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->