2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Alexeyev seems pretty dynamic offensively. Would like to see him handle some defensive assignments to get a better idea though.

Reactions: TopT

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Typically in years past they'd draft a kid who was either A) a teammate of a current prospect so they've seen him a bunch B) an overager they felt was slightly more polished than a younger kid or C) a higher ranked prospect who's dropped at the draft.

Oh and the really focus on either the OHL, the WHL or Europe ala Kempe.

That's my prediction.

Reactions: KingTrouty

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Typically in years past they'd draft a kid who was either A) a teammate of a current prospect so they've seen him a bunch B) an overager they felt was slightly more polished than a younger kid or C) a higher ranked prospect who's dropped at the draft.

That's my prediction.

A few guys who fit in one or more of those categories:

Ty Smith (Spokane)
Jet Woo (Moose Jaw)
Barrett Hayton (SSM)
Rasmus Sandin (SSM)
Ryan McLeod (Mississauga)

Linus Nyman (Kingston) is a later-round guy who could fit this profile as well.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

That's my prediction.

Yup. Under Lombardi's regime:
33% picks were OHL players
18% were WHL players
13% were European
11% were NCAA players
10% were QMJHL players
10% were USHL players
5% were from lesser leagues (such as BCHL, OPJHL, etc)

Furthermore:
51% were Canadian
26% were American
7% were Russian
6% were Swedish
4% were Czech
2% were Finnish
1% were German
1% were Slovak

20% of all picks made were OHL forwards.

Of course, this is just a history that isn't a necessary indicator. After all, in all of Lombardi's years as a GM, he never once drafted a goalie in the OHL. But Blake, in his first season, drafted a goalie out of the OHL (Villalta). The sample size is too small, but 4/7 of his picks were from the OHL last year.

Some of the more common teams they've drafted from:
St. Cloud: Garrett Roe, Jonny Brodzinski, Mikey Eyssimont; Kevin Gravel and Nic Dowd were drafted out of the USHL but committed to St. Cloud
Owen Sound: Markus Phillips, Jacob Friend, Wayne Simmonds, David Kolomatis
Sault Ste. Marie: Matthew Villalta, Andrew Campbell, Jordan Nolan, Colin Miller
Regina: Austin Wagner, Jordan Weal, Colten Teubert, Linden Rowat
Ottawa: Tyler Toffoli, Alex Lintuniemi, Jacob Middleton

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
So, with the Kings poised to be the first team knocked out of the playoffs, it looks like they'll be looking at the 18th selection (assuming Colorado and New Jersey are also eliminated and go on to pick #16 and #17).

Oh black hole, how we missed you.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
So, with the Kings poised to be the first team knocked out of the playoffs, it looks like they'll be looking at the 18th selection (assuming Colorado and New Jersey are also eliminated and go on to pick #16 and #17).

19th, unless Philly beats Pittsburgh. (I am assuming ROW is the tiebreaker, if seeding is, you would be correct)

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Akil Thomas looks like an interesting player. Speedy playmaker.

lastwordonhockey.com/2018/04/16/akil-thomas-scouting-report-2018-nhl-draft/

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Tankathon | 2018 NHL Draft Order & Lottery Simulator

Tankathon has the Kings in the 20th spot. Teams only get shuffled back if they make the conference finals; Ie if Columbus wins this round but gets knocked out next round, they'd still pick ahead of the Kings.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I could see the Devils and Kings swap spots if the Devils are targeting a D and the Kings want to leapfrog for their choice of forwards.

Noonan61

Aug 16, 2011
LA
If Joel Farabree is available at #20, i will be ecstatic.

If both continue to fall due to the U18's performance, I would love to take a flyer on K'Andre Miller or Mattias Samuelsson with our 2nd rounder.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I keep wanting to do a mock draft, but halfway through I realize it's completely futile without knowing the lottery results. But for funsies, the 15-20 chunk looks something like:

15. Florida - RD Bode Wilde - Toolsy D who'll need a couple years to clean up his defensive game.

16. Colorado - LW Joel Farabee - LW and LD seem like their most pressing short and long term needs. Farabee probably BPA at this spot.

17. New Jersey - LD Rasmus Sandin - LD is a weak on the main club and the pipeline. Sandin gradually rising up the boards with a nice OHL rookie season with Sault Ste. Marie. Maybe some consideration for Jared McIsaac who was a teammate with Nico Hischier last season or the toolsy K'Andre Miller.

18. Columbus - C Rasmus Kupari - My annual "Jarmo Kekalainen drafts a Finn even though he assures us that's not a factor" pick.

19. Philadelphia - RW Serron Noel - Deep with goaltending/defense prospects, plus Patrick/Frost/Rubtsov down the middle. Adding to the wing makes sense (and I had them taking LW Grigori Denisenko at #14).

20. Los Angeles - LW Dominik Bokk - German winger reminds some of David Pastrnak.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Jared McIsaac seems pretty talented. Just unlikely the Kings would draft him. They haven't drafted a d-man out of the Q since 2006.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00