2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I dont know.

I do know you cant call a player abysmal when he does hit 24 goals and say he has had ‘one good’ season when he scored 31 goals. All on a defensive team. Thats not good, thats fantastic. Its always ridiculous to come up with points as argument with snipers anyway. They wont rack up a lot of overrated assists.

Looking forward to your posts about Toffoli next season already. I have a feeling he will be your new whipping boy.

I call it like I see it, and Tyler Toffoli has not shown me much since his 30 goal season and the contract he signed. Just seems like a player that is a shot and nothing else at this point. And even at the end of last year he wasn't even doing that, after the turn of the year Toffoli had 7 goals in 47 games and was again completely invisible in the playoffs.

Sorry if I am not overly optimistic about his chances of rebounding and providing much for this team, I hope that he is traded, he has run his course in LA.

Chruceg

Aug 12, 2008
Near Philadelphia,PA
I call it like I see it, and Tyler Toffoli has not shown me much since his 30 goal season and the contract he signed. Just seems like a player that is a shot and nothing else at this point. And even at the end of last year he wasn't even doing that, after the turn of the year Toffoli had 7 goals in 47 games and was again completely invisible in the playoffs.

Sorry if I am not overly optimistic about his chances of rebounding and providing much for this team, I hope that he is traded, he has run his course in LA.

I have enormous respect for your opinion and you truly believe what you say is best for the Kings. You have a deep knowledge of the league and your knowledge of college hockey is enviable. With all that said ... I'm sorry but this post is over the top.

The Kings single biggest problem is scoring goals. Trading away one of our top 5 goal scorers makes zero sense. If you look at all right wingers in the league Toffoli's 24 goals is tied for 18th in the league which is the equivalent of a first liner. If you would rather take a less rosy view of his stats his 24 goals is good for 68th overall which is still in the top 93 and thus top line. Now let's be even more pessimistic and look at just points overall in which his 47 points is tied for 130th. AT WORST he is a middling second liner. But just for comparison's sake his numbers are right in line with Guentzel, Oshie, Konecny, and the player half this board wants Skinner.

Could not disagree more.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Even Mike Futa was critical in pointing out Toffoli as a player who needs to perform better. So I guess he agrees with Herby on that front. Toffoli fell off the map in the second half and has done nothing in the previous two playoff series. He needs to play better than what he's shown over the past two seasons.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I have enormous respect for your opinion and you truly believe what you say is best for the Kings. You have a deep knowledge of the league and your knowledge of college hockey is enviable. With all that said ... I'm sorry but this post is over the top.

The Kings single biggest problem is scoring goals. Trading away one of our top 5 goal scorers makes zero sense. If you look at all right wingers in the league Toffoli's 24 goals is tied for 18th in the league which is the equivalent of a first liner. If you would rather take a less rosy view of his stats his 24 goals is good for 68th overall which is still in the top 93 and thus top line. Now let's be even more pessimistic and look at just points overall in which his 47 points is tied for 130th. AT WORST he is a middling second liner. But just for comparison's sake his numbers are right in line with Guentzel, Oshie, Konecny, and the player half this board wants Skinner.

Could not disagree more.

Thank you for the kind words, but I still think he could be a candidate to have a big fall off this season. I see a lot of Richards and Lucic in him, maybe I am wrong but it looked like he was skating with Matt Greene's cement skates last season.

And if the Kings are trading Toffoli I believe it would be for another scorer or to free up a spot for a scorer they either signed or traded for. Perhaps Toffoli for someone else who's career has stagnated. Sometimes those types of trades can be beneficial to everyone involved.

We will see, but I am way less optimistic on TT than I am on Pearson who skates better and is a better all around player.

Chruceg

Aug 12, 2008
Near Philadelphia,PA
Even Mike Futa was critical in pointing out Toffoli as a player who needs to perform better. So I guess he agrees with Herby on that front. Toffoli fell off the map in the second half and has done nothing in the previous two playoff series. He needs to play better than what he's shown over the past two seasons.

Totally fair. But his comparables are all considered high quality depth on other teams. Guentzel and Oshie are recent cup winners with almost the exact same point totals. He can be better yes ... but he is not as bad as Herby is making him out to be.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
What do you guys think aboot trading down (depending on who falls to the 20th pick on Friday night). The Red Wings have the 30th, 33rd, 36th and 67th picks. Maybe we could get the 30th and the 33rd or the 30th and 36th picks......would that be worth it.....?

Chruceg

Aug 12, 2008
Near Philadelphia,PA
Thank you for the kind words, but I still think he could be a candidate to have a big fall off this season. I see a lot of Richards and Lucic in him, maybe I am wrong but it looked like he was skating with Matt Greene's cement skates last season.

And if the Kings are trading Toffoli I believe it would be for another scorer or to free up a spot for a scorer they either signed or traded for. Perhaps Toffoli for someone else who's career has stagnated. Sometimes those types of trades can be beneficial to everyone involved.

We will see, but I am way less optimistic on TT than I am on Pearson who skates better and is a better all around player.

I think the root of my disagreement comes from my assessment of the team. The thread I started about how far the Kings are away from contention shows that the Kings need roughly 30 more goals to be competitive. Trading tofolli for another goal scorer is at best a 20 goal difference and that would involve giving up an additional major asset. It just doesn't make sense.

And even if you think Toffoli's career has stagnated that means he is going to stay at his current production. Which again, is at worst a second liner. I personally believe he is better than that but I am arguing the worst case scenario.

And your lucic/Richards comments directly contradict the idea he needs a change of scenery to be successful. If he were the former the scenery wouldn't matter.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I think both guys are right.

Toffoli needs to 'perform' better all over the ice. We didn't see the anticipation and IQ this year that we did from him in other years. His skating looked labored and he lost every battle.

However, he still has that sniper's touch that we're missing if we trade him. In a 'down' year he was still a top-20 NHL goal scorer and as we know goals don't grow on trees.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Dean Lombardi and Ron Hextall must have gotten to him. Wilde to the Flyers, E5.

Makes no sense to go to the OHL when he can go right to the AHL. He can sign a contract, start making money and if you play well enough you can even warrant an NHL call-up at anytime in the season.

Tough loss though, although not completely unexpected, I think Hughes may go pro as well, he is a late 99, he could even play in the NHL next year in the right situation, his speed and hockey sense are off the charts.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I wouldn't be surprised if the Kings take this guy:
Isac Lundeström

Already playing against men in the SHL, strong skater, LW/C, scoring touch in close, ranked close to #20 by most pundits.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
LOL @ Montreal fans who called Bergevin the worst GM in the league and a complete idiot (true) now saying he'll get a package including Vilardi. Blake is gonna package up some alley trash for Pacioretty.

Muzzin, Lewis, & Reider?

Wait! Even better! The rights to Prokhorkin, Kubalik, Voynov, and Dergachev (sp?)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
LOL @ Montreal fans who called Bergevin the worst GM in the league and a complete idiot (true) now saying he'll get a package including Vilardi. Blake is gonna package up some alley trash for Pacioretty.

Bergevin is awful. He's also going to get Vilardi, Pearson, and a 1st. /shrugemoji

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
What do you guys think aboot trading down (depending on who falls to the 20th pick on Friday night). The Red Wings have the 30th, 33rd, 36th and 67th picks. Maybe we could get the 30th and the 33rd or the 30th and 36th picks......would that be worth it.....?
If they can't get one of their upper tier guys at 20 and they can't trade up, I wouldn't mind trading down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad