2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Impressive writeup, I couldn't find him on TSN's top 100 or ISS's top 31.

ISS Top 31 - Top Prospect Rankings

But there are some pretty good forwards in the range where the Kings are drafting. Unless they like somebody in the top 12 or so and move a player with the 20 to move up.

Button didn't have him in his top 100 since he hadn't seen him enough, so he didn't feel comfortable ranking him.

Note: If I haven’t seen a player at least four times, they don’t get evaluated. That’s why highly rated players like German winger Dominik Bokk and Russian forward Vitaly Kravtsov aren’t in this month’s rankings.

Kravtsov was tied for #15 on Bob McKenzie's latest poll: https://www.tsn.ca/the-big-four-solidify-spots-in-tsn-draft-ranking-1.1066345
him.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
The Kings need wingers that can score

For years, DL drafted centers and defensemen, which he deemed to have more value than wingers. That is true, but need wingers that can score. The last wingers drafted that amounted to ANYTHING, were Pearson in 2012 and Toffoli in 2010. 6 and 8 years ago! Horribad and abysmal by all standards. This must be NHL worst. You can say all you want, you can sign or trade for wingers...but you must draft your own and develop them. Hopefully, Brodzinski, Watson or Eyssimont emerges. Amadio, Brad Morrison and JAD are centers, as is Vilardi. I suppose JAD could play wing.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Sobering...er, more like depressing fact: the BIG 3 that keep the Kings a decent team...were all now drafted 10 or more years ago:

Kopitar 2005, Quick 2005, Doughty 2008. Time for another home run or 2. Hope that Vilardi is one, but damn.

Kings need to find their next core. They have the Quick, Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, Carter core.

They seem to have a good start on the next core.

Peterson = Quick
Kopitar = Vilardi
Doughty = ?
Brown = ?
Carter = JAD

Can Clague be Doughty lite? Can they find a heart and soul Brown type winger?

Edit: not saying those guys will be that good, but that's their projected ceiling.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings need to find their next core. They have the Quick, Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, Carter core.

They seem to have a good start on the next core.

Peterson = Quick
Kopitar = Vilardi
Doughty = ?
Brown = ?
Carter = JAD

Can Clague be Doughty lite? Can they find a heart and soul Brown type winger?

Edit: not saying those guys will be that good, but that's their projected ceiling.

We're not going to have another Drew Doughty for another 30-40 years if ever and the sooner people come to grips with that, the sooner maybe they'll appreciate what we DO have.

Even Dahlin will be lucky to have the career Drew has had.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
You most likely will not see another Center like Carter on the Kings for a long time. Carter has a rare blend of speed/size/IQ/Shot.

Yet another reason why we should not be so quick to trade him. Especially his reliability on offense; players we draft would have an easy time adjusting at the NHL level playing with him.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I’d be happy if they found the next Rakell, who was a 30th overall pick.

You don’t have to be in possession of a top 10 pick in order to find some scoring help in the draft, so long as your scouts are good at identifying talent.

Pastrnak was a 25th overall selection. Brock Boeser, 23rd overall. The Kings don’t have to be in the top 10 to find quality, they just have to keep their 1st and 2nd round selections and start producing results.

helmut

Jan 27, 2018
The Kings need wingers that can score

For years, DL drafted centers and defensemen, which he deemed to have more value than wingers. That is true, but need wingers that can score. The last wingers drafted that amounted to ANYTHING, were Pearson in 2012 and Toffoli in 2010. 6 and 8 years ago! Horribad and abysmal by all standards. This must be NHL worst. You can say all you want, you can sign or trade for wingers...but you must draft your own and develop them. Hopefully, Brodzinski, Watson or Eyssimont emerges. Amadio, Brad Morrison and JAD are centers, as is Vilardi. I suppose JAD could play wing.[/QUOTE

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I’d be happy if they found the next Rakell, who was a 30th overall pick.

You don’t have to be in possession of a top 10 pick in order to find some scoring help in the draft, so long as your scouts are good at identifying talent.

Pastrnak was a 25th overall selection. Brock Boeser, 23rd overall. The Kings don’t have to be in the top 10 to find quality, they just have to keep their 1st and 2nd round selections and start producing results.

I was really hoping Pasta would drop to us.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yet another reason why we should not be so quick to trade him. Especially his reliability on offense; players we draft would have an easy time adjusting at the NHL level playing with him.
It's important to keep Carter for those 1st round exits and near playoff misses. I don't get your reasoning at all on this KP.

What's the difference if the Kings finish 4th in the Pathetic Division or 7th, other than 7th gets the Kings a much better pick, plus the assets acquired in a Carter trade. The Kings "core" is going to be approaching will be between the ages of 32-37 in three years. Do we honestly see Blake being able to reload within a year or two?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's important to keep Carter for those 1st round exits and near playoff misses. I don't get your reasoning at all on this KP.

What's the difference if the Kings finish 4th in the Pathetic Division or 7th, other than 7th gets the Kings a much better pick, plus the assets acquired in a Carter trade. The Kings "core" is going to be approaching will be between the ages of 32-37 in three years. Do we honestly see Blake being able to reload within a year or two?

I think Carter is an easier player for young prospects to play with and learn from.

Kopitar's line gets too much responsibility.

The bottom 6 lines don't have the skill/consistency on the attack at the same level as Carter.

Toffoli and Pearson are too inconsistent.

What's the point of having quantity and quality of picks if we can't provide the best environment to develop them?

It's like taking a harem of supermodels to a Motel 6. Sure, it works. Sure, you can get something good if you have enough to accompany you, but do we just want to get a good one or do we want a successful methodology until we're creepy old(er) men?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If any of you are like Pierre McGuire and like to watch young men working out, then here’s a treat for you.

I listened to a lot of it when I could already.

Ty Smith apparently still keeps in touch with Nachbaur (Kings assistant coach), and he's reportedly very well liked. He has to be on the Kings' radar, especially since he's a teammate of Anderson-Dolan

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Has anyone read or heard anything about people the Kings spoke to? Rosen hasn't said a peep about the draft or combine (I tried putting him on the spot by tweeting him, but no response). The people who covered the combine said practically nothing about the Kings.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Love Yanetti.

"Everybody wants to sound really smart. Everybody wants to sound like they’ve reinvented the wheel and they’ve discovered something that no one’s ever thought of. Like, the ‘New NHL.’ It’s so cyclical. It’s like every three-to-five years there’s a new NHL. Everybody spent time trying to be the Detroit Red Wings. Everybody spent time trying to be the New Jersey Devils. Then everybody spent time trying to be the LA Kings. Now everybody’s spending time trying to be Chicago, Pittsburgh. Again, it’s not that anything’s created different. You’ve always wanted that speed, you’ve always wanted that skill. So, when we go in and look, speed jumps of the page. You walk into a rink in warm-up and the first thing you notice is if a guy’s big, or if a guy’s fast. It’s just obvious. You see a guy who’s 6-foot-5, you don’t need to scout it. You know he’s big. You can almost look in the program, and then you see a guy flying around the rink in warm-up, flying around the rink the very first shift of the game, you know he’s fast. I think those traits are pretty obvious, and I think they’ve been obvious … I don’t think you have to be a scout to tell me who’s fast."

Edit: From same question, haha. Love how he illustrates this point re: Vilardi.

"More would come down to in certain areas, you might go for a faster player over this player. Player A is faster than Player B. But again, as you saw last year, the focus with speed, I don’t see an issue with Gabe Vilardi’s skating. He’s certainly not on the rocket ship side of the spectrum, but if it was ‘speed,’ there were four or five guys drafted behind him that are faster. But, as you saw during this year, there wasn’t a better player in junior hockey when he came back. So, you wouldn’t sacrifice a clear level of player just to get speed. You wouldn’t sacrifice a clear level of player just to get skill. Now, if you had Gabe and Elias Pettersson, now have an argument. You’ve got a fast guy. I won’t tell you who was ahead because it’s not fair to say who we had ahead on the draft board, but now you’re comparing two elite players, and one has an attribute you’re looking at and one doesn’t. That might come into play."

Also great stuff in there re: Clifford, why he was drafted, why they love him.

Last edited:

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I listened to a lot of it when I could already.

Ty Smith apparently still keeps in touch with Nachbaur (Kings assistant coach), and he's reportedly very well liked. He has to be on the Kings' radar, especially since he's a teammate of Anderson-Dolan

This wouldn't surprise me in the least, they have a pretty extensive record of taking a player from the same program in back-to-back years or 2 in 3 years.

Owen Sound: Trever Lewis & Wayne Simmonds (2006-07) & David Kolomatis (2009)
Seattle: Bud Holloway & Thomas Hickey (2006-07)
Regina Pats: Linden Rowat & Colten Teubert (2007-08) (Also Jordan Weal in 2010, Austin Wagner in 2015)
SSM: Andrew Campbell & Jordan Nolan (2008-09), Colin Miller (2012)
Owen Sound: Jacob Friend & Markus Phillips (2016-17)

Los Angeles Kings Draft History at hockeydb.com

Just to name a few.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
This wouldn't surprise me in the least, they have a pretty extensive record of taking a player from the same program in back-to-back years or 2 in 3 years.

Owen Sound: Trever Lewis & Wayne Simmonds (2006-07) & David Kolomatis (2009)
Seattle: Bud Holloway & Thomas Hickey (2006-07)
Regina Pats: Linden Rowat & Colten Teubert (2007-08) (Also Jordan Weal in 2010, Austin Wagner in 2015)
SSM: Andrew Campbell & Jordan Nolan (2008-09), Colin Miller (2012)
Owen Sound: Jacob Friend & Markus Phillips (2016-17)

Los Angeles Kings Draft History at hockeydb.com

Just to name a few.
Yeah wouldn't shock me to see Smith drafted by the Kings in the least bit.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I love that article in LAKI about the draft. It just makes you think, in a way, the Kings have a top 15 pick when they know there are so many different lists and someone in one of those tiers always falls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad