2017 Training Camp Discussion

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Thanks for correcting me, even though I was apparently correct :fence: :P

Well, it turns out I was wrong, so please accept my apologies.

Also, I warn you, this will not be the last time I'm wrong about something. But most everyone around here knows that already.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Him saying some guys getting more of a chance that others and that sometimes life isn't fair was amusing

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Well, it turns out I was wrong, so please accept my apologies.

Also, I warn you, this will not be the last time I'm wrong about something. But most everyone around here knows that already.

Just joking, I tend to be wrong more often than not, so I figured I'd celebrate that I was right a bit :razz:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Kemper has not really even been discussed. Interesting.

Kempe has been an intriguing get for the Mutts for me. I was just amazed that the Coyotes had someone watching the KHL and Euro hockey at all, to be honest. But then I read about his Team Sweden links and it started to make more sense. The team is REALLY packing in a lot of OEL-friendly elements lately. No question in my mind who the team's cornerstone is going to be long-term.

I do wonder whether Chayka et al. expected Kempe to compete for a roster spot on the big squad, though.

Tocchet:

[...on Crouse]

Great news to hear

Agreed. The idea that Crouse had a low ceiling has always conflicted in my mind with everything I know about his history up until now. Hoping Tocchet's system can bring out the player he was before last season.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
If Crouse finds his offensive game and can become a 20g-20a power forward this team becomes even more scarier. Think Wayne Simmonds lite.

I hope "Even More Scarier" is this season's tagline :)

LMAO. Now that i read that aloud that is nowhere near proper english so yes it absolutely should be our new slogan :laugh:

Or your 2017-2018 Arizona Coyotes: Now with more scary

RABBIT

I'm getting nervous that we aren't going to name a captain this year. I agree with the sentiment of letting people earn it, but I would honestly much rather make OEL happy and name him captain ASAP. Even Doan said he would make a great captain, and he does seem to be more vocal.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm getting nervous that we aren't going to name a captain this year. I agree with the sentiment of letting people earn it, but I would honestly much rather make OEL happy and name him captain ASAP. Even Doan said he would make a great captain, and he does seem to be more vocal.

I don't think OEL cares about wearing the C - and the team has done a metric crap-ton of stuff to make him happy.

We have a lot of guys in the room right now with good leadership qualities - OEL, Stepan, Crouse, Domi, Hjalmarsson spring immediately to mind - who have pedigrees as captains or alternate captains in other contexts. In the pantheon of issues about which I'm nervous for this season, which one of the players wears the letters is pretty far down the list... :D

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't think OEL cares about wearing the C - and the team has done a metric crap-ton of stuff to make him happy.

We have a lot of guys in the room right now with good leadership qualities - OEL, Stepan, Crouse, Domi, Hjalmarsson spring immediately to mind - who have pedigrees as captains or alternate captains in other contexts. In the pantheon of issues about which I'm nervous for this season, which one of the players wears the letters is pretty far down the list... :D

Its window dressing to me. Being a leader has zero to do with a letter on your shirt. Leaders emerge over time, the players know who it is or who they are.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Its window dressing to me. Being a leader has zero to do with a letter on your shirt. Leaders emerge over time, the players know who it is or who they are.

I see the leaders as more of a "ceremonial" role. When new players come in, they get to know them and fill them in on all of the idiosyncrasies on the team.

On-ice, I don't see them playing too big of a role anymore, except perhaps in the locker room (off-ice).

RABBIT

Even though i agree with bot of you, and I believe there are many players on our team who can take leadership and make it a collaborative effort, I believe our best course of action is to give in to OEL, make him feel more wanted, appreciated and valued to the organization. Plus with all the hype around him being the next captain, for him not to get it may hurt him.

My first choice would be Domi due his natural leadership, but give it to Oliver

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Even though i agree with bot of you, and I believe there are many players on our team who can take leadership and make it a collaborative effort, I believe our best course of action is to give in to OEL, make him feel more wanted, appreciated and valued to the organization. Plus with all the hype around him being the next captain, for him not to get it may hurt him.

Stepan?

I know it is hard for a player to be named captain when he is very new to the team, but it sounds like he is assuming a leadership role on and off ice.

RABBIT

Stepan?

I know it is hard for a player to be named captain when he is very new to the team, but it sounds like he is assuming a leadership role on and off ice.

Stepan would make a great captain. But i believe you are right seeing how early it is, probably won't happen.

I love this video of him with the Rangers, the best goalie in the world gets frazzled over another goal he let in, Stepan gets off the bench, skates over and tells him to "Relax." Very Aaron Rodgers like. Keeping the superstar level-headed, offering reassurance.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

For me, the best reason to name a captain is to put one of the players officially in charge of welcoming new guys, helping them get acclimated, and basically being the kind of responsible pseudo-management rep for the room that Doan and other team captains have been. Those are the practical responsibilities that I think are key for a captain, more so than being Mr. Room Rah Rah. And in that respect, I'm not sure who would be Doan's natural successor - Doan was so dang good at that part of the job that he'd be a hard act for anyone to follow.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Domi is too young, he won't be captain. 3 A's or the only captains possible are: OEL/Tjam/Stephan/Richie/Goose. The C will be a vet.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Domi is too young, he won't be captain. 3 A's or the only captains possible are: OEL/Tjam/Stephan/Richie/Goose. The C will be a vet.

Nah, Domi's not too young. Toews, McDavid, Landeskog, Crosby were all younger than Domi when they were named captain and I don't buy that they get a pass because of their skill.

OEL's probably going to get the C because Chayka is rather blatantly building the team around him, but I'd bet Domi ends up with an A sooner rather than later.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Kempe has been an intriguing get for the Mutts for me. I was just amazed that the Coyotes had someone watching the KHL and Euro hockey at all, to be honest. But then I read about his Team Sweden links and it started to make more sense. The team is REALLY packing in a lot of OEL-friendly elements lately. No question in my mind who the team's cornerstone is going to be long-term.

I do wonder whether Chayka et al. expected Kempe to compete for a roster spot on the big squad, though.

Agreed. The idea that Crouse had a low ceiling has always conflicted in my mind with everything I know about his history up until now. Hoping Tocchet's system can bring out the player he was before last season.

I don't understand your thinking on Crouse. He never was a scoring machine in junior and always brought a heavy game. I thought he progressed very nicely last year, as did most of the kids.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Just give it to OEL to make him happy. Give him whatever he wants. We need his ass to re-sign more than anything else.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It's OEL's team. He will be named Captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad