2017 Training Camp Discussion

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Coach Tocc ain't here to **** around. Get those slack players on a bag skate and stream it :naughty:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Eight years of Tippett down the drain. Might as well join the ####ing Peace Corps.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009

Just got back from Scottsdale, nice four hour round trip to take in the second day of camp. Got to chat with Nash for a bit while the third group practiced, he's pretty excited about Pojo. Then Biz showed up so we got to welcome him back and talk about home town proximity and the documentary he was plugging on the Yandle episode of that chiclets show.
Is anybody else watching camp? There was a good crowd for the scrimmage but it was pretty empty for the second and third groups' practices. I dunno, maybe i'm in the wrong thread, nobody talking about Martinook still playing at center? Where's the torches?

Group B lumped C in the scrimmage. Dvorak and Duclair looked solid together, skating with Kempe who had some trouble making plays at their pace. Crouse/Martinook/McGinn did the most damage, they could pretty much dictate play when Goligoski/Schenn weren't out against them. Nice to see those two working as a pair, they were handling the Perlini/Richardson/Keller line well, Keller really didn't show up until it went down to 4 on 4, then 3 on 3. Space and time adjustment still a work in progress. OEL took shifts with Clendening on his right then Campbell on his left. C's goaltending looked pretty bad giving up 4, Louie looked like he hadn't stopped a puck all summer but he came in cold. In the following practice, Houser looked like he'd never skated in goalie pads before. Hill and Miska looked sharp for B, the only goal against was Hill being overly aggressive and taking himself out of position, again, like every game he got pulled from last year.

Tough to say on Cousins, Martinook looked better at center but he wasn't stuck with Rinaldo and Garland for wingers. I liked Rinaldo's puck hounding, looking forward to seeing him in Tucson with Latta, MacInnis and Pederson hitting things, while Merkley, Etem, Bunting and Looke fly the wings. I suppose Garland and Gaudet will be there too, meh.

Only got to see group A practice, but Domi was out to teach Raanta/Langhamer a lesson about going down early, just ringing everything top shelf past their ears. Domi/Stepan looked good, but i can't even remember who was trying to keep up on their wing, probably Merkley. Etem/Strome/Fischer looked good, but Fischer really stood out. Strome looked flat footed on several plays, still struggling to match the pace. Oh, and KEL and Wood were both easily beaten below their own goal line, not looking forward to the Roadrunner defense beyond Capobianco.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just got back from Scottsdale, nice four hour round trip to take in the second day of camp. Got to chat with Nash for a while the third group practiced, he's pretty excited about Pojo. Then Biz showed up so we got to welcome him back and talk about home town proximity and the documentary he was plugging on the Yandle episode of that chiclets show.
Is anybody else watching camp? There was a good crowd for the scrimmage but it was pretty empty for the second and third groups' practices. I dunno, maybe i'm in the wrong thread, nobody talking about Martinook still playing at center? Where's the torches?

Group B lumped C in the scrimmage. Dvorak and Duclair looked solid together, skating with Kempe who had some trouble making plays at their pace. Crouse/Martinook/McGinn did the most damage, they could pretty much dictate play when Goligoski/Schenn weren't out against them. Nice to see those two working as a pair, they were handling the Perlini/Richardson/Keller line well, Keller really didn't show up until it went down to 4 on 4, then 3 on 3. Space and time adjustment still a work in progress. OEL took shifts with Clendening on his right then Campbell on his left. C's goaltending looked pretty bad giving up 4, Louie looked like he hadn't stopped a puck all summer but he came in cold. In the following practice, Houser looked like he'd never skated in goalie pads before. Hill and Miska looked sharp for B, the only goal against was Hill being overly aggressive and taking himself out of position, again, like every game he got pulled from last year.

Tough to say on Cousins, Martinook looked better at center but he wasn't stuck with Rinaldo and Garland for wingers. I liked Rinaldo's puck hounding, looking forward to seeing him in Tucson with Latta, MacInnis and Pederson hitting things, while Merkley, Etem, Bunting and Looke fly the wings. I suppose Garland and Gaudet will be there too, meh.

Only got to see group A practice, but Domi was out to teach Raanta/Langhamer a lesson about going down early, just ringing everything top shelf past their ears. Domi/Stepan looked good, but i can't even remember who was trying to keep up on their wing, probably Merkley. Etem/Strome/Fischer looked good, but Fischer really stood out. Strome looked flat footed on several plays, still struggling to match the pace. Oh, and KEL and Wood were both easily beaten below their own goal line, not looking forward to the Roadrunner defense beyond Capobianco.

Maybe Keller is this years Strome of last year.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Just got back from Scottsdale, nice four hour round trip to take in the second day of camp. Got to chat with Nash for a while the third group practiced, he's pretty excited about Pojo. Then Biz showed up so we got to welcome him back and talk about home town proximity and the documentary he was plugging on the Yandle episode of that chiclets show.

Great stuff, man. Thanks for that. Regarding the young guys, this sounds like a carbon copy of the prospect games, especially for Wood, Keller, Fischer and Strome.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Maybe Keller is this years Strome of last year.

Doubtful, from what I've seen (although you can't really tell sh** from the streams), Keller has already made better strides. My take on Keller is that he's working to find / make - time /'space at this level and basing what I saw on the streamed games vs yesterday (Saturday 9/16), he's already improved.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Doubtful, from what I've seen (although you can't really tell sh** from the streams), Keller has already made better strides. My take on Keller is that he's working to find / make - time /'space at this level and basing what I saw on the streamed games vs yesterday (Saturday 9/16), he's already improved.

Why are you lying to yourself? What tuxonpups reported is exactly what we all know from Keller until now. Great with space, struggling without. I know that's not what you want to see but it's about time to face the truth...he's gonna be fine but you're fooling yourself if you think that he's good enough to play in the NHL right now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I have maybe watched ten minutes of the streams, so my comment was made from reading these posts. I like to see how the players do in real games before making predictions.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Why are you lying to yourself? What tuxonpups reported is exactly what we all know from Keller until now. Great with space, struggling without. I know that's not what you want to see but it's about time to face the truth...he's gonna be fine but you're fooling yourself if you think that he's good enough to play in the NHL right now.

:laugh: show me where I said that!

What tuxonpups said about Keller is exactly what I'm saying.

I understood Jakey to be referring to Strome sh**ing the bed last year, not whether he made the roster, or not.

Relax man, you don't need to fight so hard to try and prove you have some knowledge.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Doan bother heading to GRA for camp today. Chiller went out last night and I'm told entire sheet needs to be redone. Moved today's to the Ice Dump 11:00 - 2:00

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Just got back from Scottsdale, nice four hour round trip to take in the second day of camp. Got to chat with Nash for a bit while the third group practiced, he's pretty excited about Pojo. Then Biz showed up so we got to welcome him back and talk about home town proximity and the documentary he was plugging on the Yandle episode of that chiclets show.

It was like 10 degrees in there. It was as cold as I could remember watching a practice. I have a cold now...lol. Good report. I thought Keller looked better than he did in rookie camp..but that's not saying much. To me, the test will be how he performs in games...particularly later in camp when more regulars play.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I just clued in to the fact that Chychrun is on the group A roster. What's that about?

Someone (Morgan? I don't remember) also tweeted yesterday that he was walking around the facility with no brace or anything on. Looks like he may not miss much time.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Someone (Morgan? I don't remember) also tweeted yesterday that he was walking around the facility with no brace or anything on. Looks like he may not miss much time.

He posed for a picture yesterday with a young fan that made it to Twitter. Was wearing shorts and no hardware around the knee.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
He posed for a picture yesterday with a young fan that made it to Twitter. Was wearing shorts and no hardware around the knee.

She was sitting in front of me and my girlfriend and absolutely losing her mind. I saw the pic as she showed her mom and then she immediately signed into her twitter account. She let him know that she turns 17 in ten days and when her phone blew up immediately after tweeting it she was pledging her undying love for him to her friends. Pretty adorable.

I think he comes to his group's practice times and hangs in the room before and after to stay in the mix. What a steal that kid has been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad