2017 Training Camp Discussion

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So the other thread had some nonsense in it so I'm making a new one :P

Supposedly tomorrow is going to be streamed per Dave Vest, no details yet though. He did say that McConnell and Lapinski will be on the stream and possibly Biz.

Here's McLellan's article about camp:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...raining-camp-coach-arizona-coyotes/650390001/

Day 1 will focus on defensive-zone coverage and another key tenet of Tocchet’s approach: breakouts – how the Coyotes will transition from their own end up ice to the opponent’s net.

“I’m a big breakout guy,” Tocchet explained. “I think that’s where you get most of your offense. So we’ll spend a lot of time on that early on in training camp.”

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Let's just get it out of the way: Tippett. Tippett Tippetts the Tippetty Tippett. Now that that's out of the way we can discuss things other than the same topic we've debated for like 5 years and should finally be over lol.

We're streaming camp? Awesome. It's such a refreshing change of pace to see this organization actually trying to get and keep fans. We don't have any PTOs yet right?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Short story:
Neither _Del_ nor rt are going to blame Dave Tippett for anything that happens in the 2017-2018 season or beyond.

Humble request:
Knock it off with this ridiculous narrative that anyone has any designs on blaming Tippett for anything that happens this season.

smoot

Jul 13, 2017

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Luke Lapinski is great to listen to.

Luke Lapinski could be great if he didn't seem so blatantly chained to the Coyotes management. He put so much lipstick on that pig of a team last year that I should have bought stock in Sephora. I got real tired of Luke waxing poetic on the strength of the juggernaut Wings, when we lost to them, the juggernaut Kings, when we lost to them, the juggernaut [name your team]. Luke has been making on air excuses for this team for years now. I would love to see objective analysis on the post game.

How about: "OEL had a rare bad game today. His turnovers in the defensive zone led to the 3 Dallas scores, which the Coyotes couldn't seem to overcome. The Coyotes were outhustled on the boards all game and couldn't generate much offense."

What I hear on Luke's show is: "We have to remember that the Stars have overwhelming offensive talent and despite OEL's best efforts, he went minus 3 today. The Stars have huge forwards and had an unfair advantage on the boards."

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Lapinski does the post game radio show right? If that's the guy I'm thinking of his excuses are ridiculous, but in between them he has some decent insights. Really I understand focusing on the positive, very few fans want to hear how the team took a crap on ice while driving home, but there's a middle ground between that and excusing every negative thing that happened.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Luke Lapinski could be great if he didn't seem so blatantly chained to the Coyotes management. He put so much lipstick on that pig of a team last year that I should have bought stock in Sephora. I got real tired of Luke waxing poetic on the strength of the juggernaut Wings, when we lost to them, the juggernaut Kings, when we lost to them, the juggernaut [name your team]. Luke has been making on air excuses for this team for years now. I would love to see objective analysis on the post game.

How about: "OEL had a rare bad game today. His turnovers in the defensive zone led to the 3 Dallas scores, which the Coyotes couldn't seem to overcome. The Coyotes were outhustled on the boards all game and couldn't generate much offense."

What I hear on Luke's show is: "We have to remember that the Stars have overwhelming offensive talent and despite OEL's best efforts, he went minus 3 today. The Stars have huge forwards and had an unfair advantage on the boards."

Lapinski does the post game radio show right? If that's the guy I'm thinking of his excuses are ridiculous, but in between them he has some decent insights. Really I understand focusing on the positive, very few fans want to hear how the team took a crap on ice while driving home, but there's a middle ground between that and excusing every negative thing that happened.

Maybe you guys don't realize that post game shows aren't like message boards where it's easy to rip on everything in sight.

But if you think doing nothing but ripping into everything negative about a team every game on the air is going to enhance ratings and get people to buy more tickets then whatever..... :sarcasm:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Maybe you guys don't realize that post game shows aren't like message boards where it's easy to rip on everything in sight.

But if you think doing nothing but ripping into everything negative about a team every game on the air is going to enhance ratings and get people to buy more tickets then whatever..... :sarcasm:

I addressed that in my post.

"Really I understand focusing on the positive, very few fans want to hear how the team took a crap on ice while driving home, but there's a middle ground between that and excusing every negative thing that happened."

He needs to find the middle ground. Finding positives is fine, and really what he should be doing, but many of the excuses made for poor games were just absurd.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

Isn't that why they stopped taking calls? (in fact, I think a few of those erstwhile callers post here sometimes)...or after a while they tired of saying "all the lines are open" because nobody was calling?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

Oh please. Ever hear the Islander's announcers and post game? They are homers but honest homers. That's all I want, honesty and objectivity from a Coyote fan's point of view, not a national talk show host point of view at all.

I didn't expect Lapinski to go all rt and _del_ on Tippett or the team, just to be honest without exaggeration.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Oh please. Ever hear the Islander's announcers and post game? They are homers but honest homers. That's all I want, honesty and objectivity from a Coyote fan's point of view, not a national talk show host point of view at all.

I didn't expect Lapinski to go all rt and _del_ on Tippett or the team, just to be honest without exaggeration.

honesty is subjective my friend. A person can feel honest about an opinion as long as it belongs to them.

F51Up3A.gif

RABBIT

Perhaps I should have used the word "integrity."

I see it as throwing stones at one another when we're all die hard fans of the same team. People are going to have opinions, and being honest in regards to your opinion is being honest to yourself, which definitely shows integrity. It boils down to the fact that you're not a fan of the way they vocalize their beliefs, they aren't a fan of they way you combatively respond to it.

Such is life brotha.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I see it as throwing stones at one another when we're all die hard fans of the same team. People are going to have opinions, and being honest in regards to your opinion is being honest to yourself, which definitely shows integrity. It boils down to the fact that you're not a fan of the way they vocalize their beliefs, they aren't a fan of they way you combatively respond to it.

Such is life brotha.

I agree, but in the case of Lapinsky, I think he's way too smart for some of the crazy spins he sometimes throws out there. Every team we lose to isn't out of our league. He makes way too many astute observations to really believe some of the excuses for the team that he has given. There's positives from every game to find, and there are some valid excuses for losing games, but they have to be realistic, if not it just comes across as disingenuous pandering imo. It is kind of what's expected from sports radio, and post game shows in general, but it would just be nice if it was little closer to reality.

RABBIT

I agree, but in the case of Lapinsky, I think he's way too smart for some of the crazy spins he sometimes throws out there. Every team we lose to isn't out of our league. He makes way too many astute observations to really believe some of the excuses for the team that he has given. There's positives from every game to find, and there are some valid excuses for losing games, but they have to be realistic, if not it just comes across as disingenuous pandering imo. It is kind of what's expected from sports radio, and post game shows in general, but it would just be nice if it was little closer to reality.

LL has always been eccentric. I pick and choose my media personalities very carefully due to some people's antics.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Why isn't Garland on that list? He's got a lot of energy and hustle but he's just not a good hockey player. lol

He's under contract so he'd be "assigned" to the AHL camp not "cut" as such.

They need bodies to fill out the roster in preseason games anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->