2017 Training Camp Discussion

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don't understand your thinking on Crouse. He never was a scoring machine in junior and always brought a heavy game. I thought he progressed very nicely last year, as did most of the kids.

It just seemed to me over the course of last year that the idea germinated about Crouse being some third- or fourth-line-ceiling grinder, when the guy (to me, anyway) has Hanzal-style upside and a lot of leadership ability.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
It just seemed to me over the course of last year that the idea germinated about Crouse being some third- or fourth-line-ceiling grinder, when the guy (to me, anyway) has Hanzal-style upside and a lot of leadership ability.

I've been a little bearish on his upside since before he was drafted. I still feel he was drafted far too high. I thought and still think he's closer to Milan Lucic than he is to Tyler Biggs, but he's got a ceiling.

Still, he has the potential to be a valuable contributor. He has some solid finishing skills but the most promising thing about him is his tenacity, which did not wane last year and which I expect Tocchet to make the most of. He's already an absolute terror on the forecheck and should be a useful 3rd or more likely 4th liner this season. With the right usage, I think he can be a valuable middle 6 wing for a couple more offensively inclined linemates. He seems like he'd complement most of the forwards in the current pipeline.

If everything goes right, I think he breaks the 40-point mark a few times in his career. Something like a Justin Abdelkader. With everything else he brings to the game, that's a very valuable player.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If everything goes right, I think he breaks the 40-point mark a few times in his career. Something like a Justin Abdelkader. With everything else he brings to the game, that's a very valuable player.

If we can get an Abdelkader minus the inherent douchiness, I think that's a win for us.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Domi is too young, he won't be captain. 3 A's or the only captains possible are: OEL/Tjam/Stephan/Richie/Goose. The C will be a vet.

He isn't too young. And I don't see how you can say the names you mentioned are the only possibilities. There is no fixed protocol when it comes to choosing a captain.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

I think he can be a middle six power forward and like Hanzal, play in front of the net on the PP. I like what he showed last year and think he can produce more offensively playing with more skilled linemates. I certainly don't think the book has been written on what he can become.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Looking around the tv schedule, I was hoping the Calgary game would be televised on their end but it isn't.

Our only televised game is vs the Kings on the 28th. Hopefully it won't be blacked out since it's a road game.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I think he has a Hanzal upside.

I've been a little bearish on his upside since before he was drafted. I still feel he was drafted far too high. I thought and still think he's closer to Milan Lucic than he is to Tyler Biggs, but he's got a ceiling.

Still, he has the potential to be a valuable contributor. He has some solid finishing skills but the most promising thing about him is his tenacity, which did not wane last year and which I expect Tocchet to make the most of. He's already an absolute terror on the forecheck and should be a useful 3rd or more likely 4th liner this season. With the right usage, I think he can be a valuable middle 6 wing for a couple more offensively inclined linemates. He seems like he'd complement most of the forwards in the current pipeline.

I agree.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
The C should go to the most deserved, not to some guy the team want's to retain. How well will he play, when he is handed a fat contract and an undeserved title? The country club was nuked.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
100% agree.

Oh yeah. Trade for a ticking bomb to make OEL happy. Name him Captain to make him happy. What else does he need? An IKEA store next to his house perhaps? An Abba concert? Swedish stinky fish?

Firstly, we're talking about a guy who was absolutely crap last season. Secondly, he's, in my view, not a Captain. To give somebody a C just to make him sign is a stupid idea. Lastly, do you really think he's gonna ask for less if you give him a C? I seriously doubt it. If he wants to stay, then he's gonna sign a reasonable contract. If not, I'd much rather trade his ass than to try to make him sign with questionable trades or a free Captain.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Ummm it's OEL man. Not some ******* from off the street. OEL is great. Obviously pinning the C on him isn't a bad thing.

Why is it so obvious? Why does the best player always have to be the "obvious" choice to be Captain? The leader on and off the ice should be Captain...not the star who might for once put some effort in because it's a contract year. Murphy would have been an ideal Captain. A true leader who brings it each and every night. Always willing to give it all and to defend a teammate if necessary. Captain of the US squad and greatly respected off the ice. Since he's gone, I'e go with Schenn or Domi. They're the pro's I'd want the young guys to look up to...not OEL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The C should go to the most deserved, not to some guy the team want's to retain. How well will he play, when he is handed a fat contract and an undeserved title? The country club was nuked.

Yeah, you don't give a player a C because you want to retain him, but in OEL's case it is deserved, and he will be the C.

Oh yeah. Trade for a ticking bomb to make OEL happy. Name him Captain to make him happy. What else does he need? An IKEA store next to his house perhaps? An Abba concert? Swedish stinky fish?

Firstly, we're talking about a guy who was absolutely crap last season. Secondly, he's, in my view, not a Captain. To give somebody a C just to make him sign is a stupid idea. Lastly, do you really think he's gonna ask for less if you give him a C? I seriously doubt it. If he wants to stay, then he's gonna sign a reasonable contract. If not, I'd much rather trade his ass than to try to make him sign with questionable trades or a free Captain.

Firstly, he was not crap last year. He did not play up to his expectations and he has said that himself, even though he had family issues and a broken hand or thumb on top of that. Secondly, in my view he is C material and the Coyotes will not make him C just to keep him happy which is stupid if anyone thinks that. Your evaluation of players have been wrong before and you are wrong again about OEL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why is it so obvious? Why does the best player always have to be the "obvious" choice to be Captain? The leader on and off the ice should be Captain...not the star who might for once put some effort in because it's a contract year. Murphy would have been an ideal Captain. A true leader who brings it each and every night. Always willing to give it all and to defend a teammate if necessary. Captain of the US squad and greatly respected off the ice. Since he's gone, I'e go with Schenn or Domi. They're the pro's I'd want the young guys to look up to...not OEL.

Man oh man, now I have heard it all.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Of all my years reading and posting on this forum, amongst plenty of differing opinions, not once has anyone actually made me physically cringe while reading their posts.. until now. Congratulations, Hinterland.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Murphy would have been an ideal Captain. A true leader who brings it each and every night. Always willing to give it all and to defend a teammate if necessary. Captain of the US squad and greatly respected off the ice.

This man crush you have on Murphy is inexplicable to me. I like the kid and think he's got some upside but this reads like he's Zdeno Chara or something.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I appreciate you having an opinion Hinterland, but damn bro, stop ****ing on other people's. It's so hard to keep a coversation going when someone is contantly poking and prodding.

I'm not going to say your right or wrong though, that's your prerogative.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm assuming OEL gets the C and he will react to it by trying to act like Doan (in terms of dealing with his teammates and community off the ice) as much as he can. I think OEL doing a Doan impression makes for a pretty good captain. Same goes for Domi if they go that route. If it's Stepan, he'll be the leader he's always been and his successor (if it's someone that was on the team last year) will have two great leaders to emulate when it's their turn to get the C.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I still like Domi as the captain. I think he checks all the boxes. My only issue with OEL is the occasional embellishment/diving. I absolutely hate that **** and it would be worse if he's the captain. I know others do it but I don't want the captain of my team that way. It's another reason I'm glad the flopper Smith is gone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I still like Domi as the captain. I think he checks all the boxes. My only issue with OEL is the occasional embellishment/diving. I absolutely hate that **** and it would be worse if he's the captain. I know others do it but I don't want the captain of my team that way. It's another reason I'm glad the flopper Smith is gone.

Domi has not earned it yet.

My guess:

C - OEL
A - Stepan
A - Hjalmarsson

Good guess

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I too assume OEL will get the C. I hope/trust Tocchet and the rest of the coaching staff will do their due diligence to make sure it is the best choice. Remember, not ALL players will want to be named captain (no idea about OEL).

I would be happy if it were NOT OEL (unless he really wants the added responsibility). Let him lead with his talent.

If not OEL, Stepan is a natural choice. Just oozes leadership plus he has the Rangers winning pedigree.

Last edited:

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
We got a game tonight. Any idea if this one will be streamed?

Had dinner with Oliver and his brother last week at the mission for my brothers going away party, didn’t talk much hockey, but from what I understand the C is his, not entirely sure though.

I can’t see Stepan getting a letter, especially being his first go with the team, however, tochett is new as well and he ultimately decides.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Of all my years reading and posting on this forum, amongst plenty of differing opinions, not once has anyone actually made me physically cringe while reading their posts.. until now. Congratulations, Hinterland.

I got accused of bullying a couple of months back when I objected to a string of his posts. Someone clued me in to the ignore button. You can use it and avoid getting all worked up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad