2017 Hot Seat

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Actually i'd wager hiring Fisher is more of a Isray thing than a Bears thing. And surprise, surprise; the Colts are one of the teams that are apparently interested.

If i were Luck at that point i'd demand a trade lmao.

Luck's gotta rebuild his value first. Nobody knows whats going on with that shoulder and he may now need another surgery.

giphy.gif

Lots of people bring up BB time in Cleveland to say McDaniels will do well a 2nd time

Josh McDaniels entire time in Denver was disaster and his inability to play nice with others (Coaches , players , management , etc) was nothing like BB in Cleveland

McDaniels was also only 33 at the time and its not easy being coach & GM at that age. He had a lot of pressure and wasn't ready for it.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Luck's gotta rebuild his value first. Nobody knows whats going on with that shoulder and he may now need another surgery.

giphy.gif

McDaniels was also only 33 at the time and its not easy being coach & GM at that age. He had a lot of pressure and wasn't ready for it.
Probably shouldn't have got the GM fired then.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Lions not making the playoffs much less winning the division shouldn’t sit well considering Rodgers was out of the way.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
How likely is it that if Caldwell goes that Jim Bob Cooter is named HC? He and Stafford seem to have good relationship and Stafford seems to be less mistake prone in this offense then previous offenses

I imagine it is something that the Ford's would consider

Cooter's name has come up in last couple offseasons as a potential hire around league

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Promoting from within for head coaches don’t seem to have hardly any success.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He has Stafford making less mistakes because he takes away Stafford's biggest strengths and forces him into being a dink and dunk passer in an air raid type system. Stafford's arm and out of structure instincts usually lead to his biggest plays but also will lead to some turnovers. Cooter is a boring and risk averse coordinator and his running scheme is the worst in football. "Having a good relationship with the QB" is how you end up with McAdoo and Koetter.

Sep 19, 2008
Lot of talk about Garrett being can ned
Garrett is essentially Jerry Jones clone on the field :laugh: Why would he fire himself?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
HC's under Jones
Landry = 3-13 in 1 season
Johnson = 44-36 in 5 seasons (Won 2 SB's in 3 playoff appearances going 7-1 in playoffs)
Switzer = 40-24 in 4 seasons (Won 1 SB in 3 playoff appearances going 5-2 in playoffs)
Gailey = 18-14 in 2 seasons (Both seasons made playoffs going 0-2)
Campo = 15-33 in 3 seasons
Parcells = 34-30 in 4 seasons (Made playoffs twice going 0-2)
Phillips = 34-22 in 3 1/2 seasons (Made playoffs twice going 1-2)
Garrett = 66-53 in 7 1/2 seasons (Made playoffs twice going 1-2)

Its hard to understand how Garrett gets so much rope from Jerry

I get that he is Jerry's friend and a yes man but still the results are not there to justify his continued employment IMO

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jay Gruden might be tied to Kirk Cousins. If Cousins leaves, Jay is in a very bad situation where he has to break in a new QB with an impatient owner. I don't know if Jay will force his way out, but if he doesn't think Cousins is returning, he should, and that could be why he is available. That could be a trade situation.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Going through the divisions:
Oak - Del Rio - maybe due to expectations.
Den - Joseph 1st year guy without a QB, should get another year
LAC - Lynn - 1st year guy, close to playoffs. Will be back
KC - Reid will return

Cin - Lewis is mutually parting ways
Cle - Jackson Should start fresh despite the disfunction
Pit - Tomlin is coming back
Bal - Harbaugh is coming back

Jax - Marrone is coming back
Hou - O'Brien should return. Finally got a QB in Watson, but he got hurt. Lost his pass rushers in Watt and Merciless
Ind - Pagano is gone.
Ten - Munchack I think might be let go if they miss the playoffs. Expectations, plus they need to add more dynamic plays on offence. The bounty they got from the Rams in the Goff deal should have set them up nicely to be the team in the South. Have the QB, 3 1st rounders on the OL. Ground and pound running game.

NE - BB is there until he retires
But - Dermott returns. Total rebuild there
NYJ - Bowles, not much expectations and the fact that they won 5 games so far is impressive. Could go either way.
Mia - Gase returns

Sea - Carroll returns. But, he really needs to turf his OC and OL coach in Bevell and Cable.
AZ - Arians, could start new since they have to break in a new QB. Players love him.
LAR - McVay returns
SF - Shanny returns

NO - Payton returns
ATL - Quinn returns. Should re-consider his OC
Car - Rivera returns
TB - Koetter, could pay the price for a disappointing season

Phi - Pederson returns
NYG - already fired MacAdoo
Was - Gruden could be tied to Cousins. Doubt he wants to re-start with a new QB. I don't personally believe that Cousins is a Super Bowl calibre QB. At least not one without a top level D and strong running game.
Dal - should move on from Garrett

Chi - Fox, likely gone
Det - Caldwell should be gone. Should be in the playoff chase until the last week. Losing to Cincy should seal his fate
Min - Zimmer returns
GB - McCarthy, lots of injuries likely saves his job. But, GB with Rodgers should be a Super Bowl contender year in year out.

To me, the for sure gone are: MacAdoo who is gone already. Fox is gone from Chi. Caldwell from Det. Koetter in TB. Pagano in Indy. Lewis in Cincy is gone. Jackson in Clev should go too. That's 7 jobs I would say for sure.

Maybes are Garrett in Dal due to the owner wanting to keep him. Oakland with Del Rio. Jets if they feel that they need to re-boot. Munchack in Tenn if they miss the playoffs. Arians if they want to re-boot. And a couple others.

Likely to see 9-10 new coaches. I don't think it will be 12-14 that Jay Glazer is speculating.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
14 is turning over almost half the league. It won't be that many.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It won't be 14 but it sounds like there could be quite a few. Yesterday, Jay Glazer said there might be an unprecedented number of coaching changes this offseason. The two he mentioned by name were Caldwell and Koetter, saying they sealed their fates with the losses yesterday.

It seems more and more likely that the Vikings will lose Pat Shurmur to one of these teams.

Also.....

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
As a Jet fan, Bowles should get at least another year because of how a lot of the younger players have developed under him so far: Enunwa and Williams last year, Robby Anderson, Adams, Maye, McGuire this year. It is apparent the team plays hard for him as they have really overachieved considering the roster.

BUT, even if this team has a QB, the opportunities they squandered have all been 4th quarter and second half meltdowns. That's 100% on coaching.

I don't have the confidence in Bowles to make the correct decisions in big-time moments so he'll be fired soon, but ownership will give him at least chance to develop the team more. Between a rock and a hard place...

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If there are 12 to 14 coaches fired, we are going to see coaching chaos. There will be panicked hires. Retreads who should be put out to pasture will get jobs solely because of the number of openings. Yes, this means Jeff Fisher and John Fox will get new jobs.

This will be the offseason of regret.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Sources saying Arizona and Bruce Arians are expected to part ways at season's end.

I imagine he probably retires if that's the case.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sources saying Arizona and Bruce Arians are expected to part ways at season's end.

I imagine he probably retires if that's the case.
Only way I see him taking another hc job is if that team is close to winning.

Who has under achieved? But is still a good team?

Raiders? Titans? Colts? Bucs? Lions?

All have a QB. Assuming luck comes back from the shoulder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad