2017 Hot Seat

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What coaches do you think are on hot seat?

Here are some names

Todd Bowles (New York Jets) - Dead man walking according to many ,, Seems only a matter of time until he gets axe with what is shaping up to be even by Jet standards a horrific team

Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati Bengals) - Another poor year and even Mike Brown wont be able to ignore the calls from fans for change

John Fox (Chicago Bears) - Historically terrible teams during his tenure ,, Lack of any signs of improvement or another dreadful year and it will be hard for ownership to ignore the increasingly hostile fanbase

Chuck Pagano (Indianapolis Colts) - Been on hotseat for a while and another disappointing season in Indy should be final nail in his coffin. Team has missed playoffs with 8-8 record these past two seasons after surprise trip to AFC title game in 2014 season

Did I miss anyone who you feel is on hotseat?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Agreed on all those names. Payton always seems like he's one step from the door, and my dad seems to think that Arians might be wearing thin with management despite being loved by the players.

I've also heard Harbaugh might be on a bit of a hotseat if the Ravens tank again, but is he really? He's been dealt a tough hand with injuries so far this season.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I thought about putting Gruden on list but figured it would be so stupid to fire him at this point

But then again given who owner ,, I wouldn't be shocked

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Agreed on all those names. Payton always seems like he's one step from the door, and my dad seems to think that Arians might be wearing thin with management despite being loved by the players.

I've also heard Harbaugh might be on a bit of a hotseat if the Ravens tank again, but is he really? He's been dealt a tough hand with injuries so far this season.

yeah i think harbaugh's job is safe for the time being. injuries have really killed the team the past couple seasons

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Jay gruden has gotten the redskins to a nfc title
I know Danny Snyder likes to manipulate the local press and slant things to make the organization actually look good but this is on a whole different level...

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Jim Caldwell

In my opinion, he should have been fired after last season. Lacks in game adjustments as they are needed, stubborn, deer in headlights look for the most of the game.

Even if the Lions finish at 8-8, he needs to be canned, and Quinn would need to throw all the money in the world at Jon Gruden (one can dream...).

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

1 playoff appearance in four years since the SB is probably why.

I honestly thought Payton was going to go back to the Giants before they hired McAdoo but it seems to be that he'll entertain leaving when Brees retires.

Pagano has the hottest seat in the NFL IMO, especially after he outlasted Grigson.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kevin Sumlin-Texas A&M

His seat might be the hottest in all football.

One of the strange things here I think is that based on how his season goes he can either move up or move down.

Sean Payton has had one foot out the door since he moved his family back to Dallas. I'm not sure he ever moved back, but the speculation then was that he was waiting out Jason Garrett's firing and it's never happened. It's Gruden-levels of holding on to him with 3 7-9 seasons in a row.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
If the Cowboys have a disappointing season, Jason Garrett should be on the hot seat. This is somehow this 8th season (7th full)...does he do anything other than clap? That playoff game against GB was not a good look.

I also will believe Marvin Lewis is fired when I see it. Not buying that he is on any hot seat.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Mike Brown won't fire Marvin. He's too cheap for that. He's the type of guy who goes to a high end restaurant and orders soup.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Marvin Lewis will be a "mutually agree to part ways."

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
If the Cowboys have a disappointing season, Jason Garrett should be on the hot seat. This is somehow this 8th season (7th full)...does he do anything other than clap? That playoff game against GB was not a good look.

I also will believe Marvin Lewis is fired when I see it. Not buying that he is on any hot seat.

To be fair. It was a catch :)

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Aside from the aforementioned four names, how about Hue Jackson and Jim Caldwell?

In regards to Jackson, I get the Browns suck, but at some point they need to show improvement. If they have another truly awful season, do they keep him?

Caldwell to me has always just been "there", never seems like he's coaching anything. DET has been an actual NFL team under him, but after collapsing down the stretch into the PO's last season, another performance like that could get him canned.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As long as the Lions stay relevant, I think Caldwell is safe. Completely bottoming out is a different animal, but that applies to almost anyone. Hue Jackson just got a new QB who is probably starting Week 1, and that always buys you time. They won't be 1-15 again.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Jackson should be safe at minimum for 2 years. Let the guy actually build a damn culture/roster instead of going back to the coaching wheel

An underdog hot seat candidate might be Doug Marrone in Jacksonville. This might be just me, but that removing of the interim tag felt hollow. Like they knew there was no one better left out there so they're just like screw it, let's give him a year. Especially with a hardass like Coughlin in the Jags organization.

Arians is also a name i would back in this conversation. Those Torts hardass type coaches seem to work wonders initially, but their shelf life is pretty short. Especially with the Cardinals best days looking to be behind them.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jackson should be safe at minimum for 2 years. Let the guy actually build a damn culture/roster instead of going back to the coaching wheel

An underdog hot seat candidate might be Doug Marrone in Jacksonville. This might be just me, but that removing of the interim tag felt hollow. Like they knew there was no one better left out there so they're just like screw it, let's give him a year. Especially with a hardass like Coughlin in the Jags organization.

Arians is also a name i would back in this conversation. Those Torts hardass type coaches seem to work wonders initially, but their shelf life is pretty short. Especially with the Cardinals best days looking to be behind them.

Players love playing for Arians though, even if he's hard. Tortorella is not in that vein. The Cardinals never felt like they were starting to loaf it or tuned him out.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
This thread is morbid. Why does it excite you thinking of people losing their jobs and being miserable?

And holy crow, what in the name of He-Man is with a the ",," thing?
Newsflash: We have one of these threads every year. Its simply speculating who is vulnerable to getting fired since every year there is quite an active coaching carousel. No one is really celebrating someone losing their job per say......unless of course said individual is so utterly incompetent at coaching that he makes watching your favorite team a miserable experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad