2017 Hot Seat

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Pagano, Fox are near locks
Koetter, Hue (if they lose out), Del Rio (less likely) are maybes.

Bowles outside chance
Joseph outside chance
Marvin (only if he retires)
Caldwell outside chance.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Vance Joseph getting fired, when he's a defensive coach after a year where Elway failed to get a quarterback, would be absolutely ridiculous. Joseph will go somewhere else and get another shot and make them look stupid.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Pagano, Fox are near locks
Koetter, Hue (if they lose out), Del Rio (less likely) are maybes.

Bowles outside chance
Joseph outside chance
Marvin (only if he retires)
Caldwell outside chance.

Del Rio is not getting fired one year after coaching the Raiders to their best season in 15 years. He's got some leash.

Joseph won't get fired either.... he was the wrong hire to begin with IMO but its not his fault Elway can't replace Manning. Denver was already trending down last season but with a half decent QB they'd at least go 8-8 or 9-7.

Caldwell it depends on how the Lions finish, even if they miss the playoffs as long as he has a good run at the end he might buy some time. IIRC Martha Ford is a big fan of him.

Bowles is another guy who bought more time with his teams surprise performance. The core was pretty much stripped down and he managed to have a few more wins than expected.

I expect Pagano to get fired after next weeks game.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What is point of firing a coach with only one game left? If Colts haven't fired Pagano yet there isn't much of a reason to expect they will can him after week 16

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Caldwell it depends on how the Lions finish, even if they miss the playoffs as long as he has a good run at the end he might buy some time. IIRC Martha Ford is a big fan of him.

Caldwell will do just enough that the morons running the Lions keep him around but not enough to provide any joy or quality for Lions fans and the cycle of him being a god awful coach with bad co-ordinators will continue.

But I am sure we will have another off-season where people will talk about how great Austin and Cooter are and how they should be considered for open HC positions. I assume the people who say this are those that have never watched a game of football in their lives or at the very least never watched a Lions game that either of those two have been involved in.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Cooter won't ever get an HC job. Del Rio won't be fired because Davis is broke and can't afford the buyout.
Can't even afford a professional hair cut.

Mark-Davis-hair.jpg

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
So we already know that the Giants and Bengals jobs are open.

Other coaches who might get axed:

John Fox - Bears
Chuck Pagano - Colts
Hue Jackson - Browns
Jay Gruden - Redskins
Dirk Koetter - Bucs
Bruce Arians - Cardinals (Retirement)

I think Bill O'Brien survives because of Watson's injury, plus Watson vouching for him. The Jets exceeded expectations so Bowels might get another year but wouldn't be surprised to see him go.

There could potentially be 8-10 jobs open.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

The Bears hiring Fisher would be the most Bears thing possible. And I could 100% see them do that.

I imagine Austin will get a job this year & I think this is the year Shaw leaves Stanford. Shurmur is another one I like.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Actually i'd wager hiring Fisher is more of a Isray thing than a Bears thing. And surprise, surprise; the Colts are one of the teams that are apparently interested.

If i were Luck at that point i'd demand a trade lmao.

Reactions: Voight

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Lots of people bring up BB time in Cleveland to say McDaniels will do well a 2nd time

BB wasn't that bad in Cleveland honestly including getting them into playoffs and competitive again. He got trashed for moving on from Kosar but history proved that was right move and that Kosar was not a #1 anymore

Also they were 3-13 and aging/fading team when he took over so this view that his Brown teams were some disaster just doesn't prove accurate

And his final year in Cleveland it all fell apart because of the announced move and complications that brought as anyone who watched that documentary on final season in Cleveland would understand

Josh McDaniels entire time in Denver was disaster and his inability to play nice with others (Coaches , players , management , etc) was nothing like BB in Cleveland

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Lots of people bring up BB time in Cleveland to say McDaniels will do well a 2nd time

BB wasn't that bad in Cleveland honestly including getting them into playoffs and competitive again. He got trashed for moving on from Kosar but history proved that was right move and that Kosar was not a #1 anymore

Also they were 3-13 and aging/fading team when he took over so this view that his Brown teams were some disaster just doesn't prove accurate

And his final year in Cleveland it all fell apart because of the announced move and complications that brought as anyone who watched that documentary on final season in Cleveland would understand

Josh McDaniels entire time in Denver was disaster and his inability to play nice with others (Coaches , players , management , etc) was nothing like BB in Cleveland
It doesn’t matter. Teams are going to keep hiring Patriots assistants because they all hope the next guy brings some magic. It never works long term. Hell, Eric Mangini might have had the most success as a Patriots expat, and he quickly ran himself out of two jobs by being an egomaniac.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->