2017 Hot Seat

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
How likely is it that if Caldwell goes that Jim Bob Cooter is named HC? He and Stafford seem to have good relationship and Stafford seems to be less mistake prone in this offense then previous offenses

I imagine it is something that the Ford's would consider

Cooter's name has come up in last couple offseasons as a potential hire around league

That would be very typical of the Lions to make that move. 1 step forward 3 steps back.

I don't get the love affair with an OC whose offense seems to rely on passing to Golden Tate 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage and hoping he can break 3-4 tackles or hoping that the play called breaks down so that Stafford can scramble and find Jones 60 yards downfield with a 50/50 ball. The other 80% of the time is god awful routes mixed with running guys straight into the DL. I know he has had Sanders or Dickerson back there but you would think at least 1 game he could have enough runs called to get a RB over 100 yards but that would involve actually designing effective run plays not just caliing dives into the line.

Caldwell needs to be fired but hiring Cooter (or Austin) would be a god awful move.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Insert Michael Scott yelling no from the Office here.

God I want Caldwell gone so bad but please dear lord do not replace him with another dumpster fire like Patricia. Surely the Lions have to have better options than Patricia or Cooter to replace Caldwell.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

God I want Caldwell gone so bad but please dear lord do not replace him with another dumpster fire like Patricia. Surely the Lions have to have better options than Patricia or Cooter to replace Caldwell.

It must be something that's out there because Breer says the same thing.....

5. I think after tough losses on Sunday, Titans coach Mike Mularkey and Lions coach Jim Caldwell are on increasingly thin ice, particularly since each was inherited by a fairly new general manager. And both GMs, Tennessee’s Jon Robinson and Detroit’s Bob Quinn happen to be New England connected, which is why many believe that Josh McDaniels would be a strong contender for the Titans jobs, and Matt Patricia would be under serious consideration for the Lions job. Detroit was eliminated from the NFC picture Sunday, and the Titans still control their fate, if they can avoid a fourth straight loss next week at home against the division champion Jaguars.

Garoppolo leading a late-season revival in San Francisco

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Taking coaches from the Patriots always seems to work

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
There will be too many openings and not enough quality coaches to fill them. Is this the year Gruden returns? If he does it'll be to T.B. or Indy.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If Jay Gruden is potentially available the Bears should be talking to Washington about acquiring him

Would be perfect fit for Bears and guy I would be very happy to see working with Trubisky

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
That would be very typical of the Lions to make that move. 1 step forward 3 steps back.

Caldwell needs to be fired but hiring Cooter (or Austin) would be a god awful move.
All three coaches proved just how inept & incompetent they all are at their positions, and should all be let go, and fast.

Caldwell, for being utterly clueless, Cooter for being beyond predictable & unimaginative, and Austin for continually dropping the ball when it counts, on the Defensive Side.

We'll finally get to see if Quinn is really in charge of football operations, or if bat crazy Martha Ford is going to continue her husband's legacy of meddling without having the first clue what she's doing.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Why not just promote Austin? Before someone takes him.

There will be too many openings and not enough quality coaches to fill them. Is this the year Gruden returns? If he does it'll be to T.B. or Indy.

I have read that his kids are all now out of highschool (youngest graduates in June) so he would be more listening than years past. I don't know if he'd want to work for an arrogant prick like Irsay but either way I see Tampa being he most likely destination.

I think the Giants would be an option too, especially of they offered him dual GM/coach responsibilities. He could build the team how he wants and with blank cheque. & if I'm not mistaken he lives in the greater New York area, or at least during the NFL season when he has work to do in Bristol.

Until Snyder gets rid of him on a whim.

I have heard that he's quite fond of Gruden and he's his favorite coach (that hes hired).

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Brad Wells (a well connected former Colts writer) has said that Gruden would be open to Indianapolis if Peyton Manning was involved in some way.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Jerry isn’t firing Garrett but is looking for someone to blame. Cowboys media is universally calling for change. Fans want change. Dez is whining about the scheme not working, and Jerry always sided with his star players.

Cowboys OC Scott Linehan is a dead man walking. He should go ahead and put his house on the market.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Breer goes through a bunch a teams and their coaching situation here:

Albert Breer: NFL Black Monday primer

Houston Texans: Simply, a reckoning is coming here. I’d be floored if O’Brien even considered signing an extension without changes to the way the football operation is aligned, and 2018 is a contract year for him. That would create a decision point for ownership—go forward for a year with a coach that would be the No. 1 guy on the market if free, or cut the cord now and move forward with GM Rick Smith.

What am I not seeing with O'Brien? Why do people in the media and apparently people around the league love him so much? I bet some of them will try to give him all the credit for Watson's development too and use that as a major selling point if he becomes available.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well for one he is only part of BB coaching tree that hasn't proven to be toxic

Also he has been success in Houston to an extent despite the pretty terrible list of QB's they have had before Watson. I think he deserves some credit for fielding competitive teams during his time there (This year injuries ravaged them)

It is true he feasted on a weak division but overall the Texans have been solid enough with him at helm and that should warrant further time in Houston

If not an NFL team looking for youngish coach who has shown stability in job he has appeal. Also his players and coaches seem to enjoy playing for him which is again something that BB minions cant really say often

And should he not deserve some of the credit with Watson? If he is to be blamed for what goes wrong with team then shouldn't he get credit for what goes right?

Last edited:

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Because before Watson, the QB position (his supposed speciality) was a black hole and he couldn't get anything out of them. Now a talented and confident QB arrives, who has been great at every level of play, and he deserves all the credit for him? Bullshit. DeShaun Watson elevated the players around him.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Well for one he is only part of BB coaching tree that hasn't proven to be toxic

Also he has been success in Houston to an extent despite the pretty terrible list of QB's they have had before Watson. I think he deserves some credit for fielding competitive teams during his time there (This year injuries ravaged them)

That has to be on him somewhat considering he is supposed to be a QB expert.

I have a hard time believing that they didn't ask him for some input on the guys they were bringing in and if they didn't and he didn't raise hell then what kind of coach is he?

He has had amazing talent on defense and some excellent skill players on offense and done jack squat with it.

As a fan of a team (Lions) that may be in a coaching search and may be interested in him (Pats ties with the GM) I wouldn't be overly excited if he was hired as our coach. I don't think he is terrible but he doesn't appear to be very impressive either.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It could be argued that going to playoffs with Brian Hoyer and Brock Osweiler as your QB's is an achievement to show his ability to overcome crap at QB

I mean he won 9 games with Ryan Fitzpatrick , Brian Hoyer and Brock Osweiler as #1's in three consecutive seasons. That type of QB lineup would get most coaches fired

Reactions: Voight

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Breer goes through a bunch a teams and their coaching situation here:

Albert Breer: NFL Black Monday primer

What am I not seeing with O'Brien? Why do people in the media and apparently people around the league love him so much? I bet some of them will try to give him all the credit for Watson's development too and use that as a major selling point if he becomes available.
Argumentum ad cucullo

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It could be argued that going to playoffs with Brian Hoyer and Brock Osweiler as your QB's is an achievement to show his ability to overcome crap at QB

I mean he won 9 games with Ryan Fitzpatrick , Brian Hoyer and Brock Osweiler as #1's in three consecutive seasons. That type of QB lineup would get most coaches fired

I think winning 9 games in a division that had the Jaguar, Titans and Colts teams of that era might be underachieving.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Except the offense was shit and had little to do with them winning. Once again hes supposed to be an offensive genius and they've largely been terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad