2017-2018 Standings Tracker

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Detroit might not yet be dead last in the standings, but they've received their first "worst" power ranking:

PHT Power Rankings: Red Wings hit rock bottom

Not that anything is new information, not I wonder if these type of articles ever reach the ears of ownership (or at least their inner circle). I'd hope that Chris Ilitch cringes if he hears stuff like this.
Basically as expected, when the Wings were hanging around as a 15th-20th team in the league everyone was saying they suck and should sell, bottom out and rebuild. Now that they're selling, bottoming out and rebuilding, they receive no positive attention but strict focus on how they're doing in the small window of "right now", something that didn't seem to matter when they were doing okay and hanging around the playoff battle.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Basically as expected, when the Wings were hanging around as a 15th-20th team in the league everyone was saying they suck and should sell, bottom out and rebuild. Now that they're selling, bottoming out and rebuilding, they receive no positive attention but strict focus on how they're doing in the small window of "right now", something that didn't seem to matter when they were doing okay and hanging around the playoff battle.
By definition, power rankings are 100 percent about the right now.

Check out the Chris Ilitch thread for an article I linked about the rebuild, and having patience over the next several years.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Edmonton won, but all the other teams are going to lose. Chicago down 1-3 with 5 left in the third. Vancouver down 0-3 after the first. Ottawa lost, NYR lost

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Back at 6th last despite all the losses recently. It’s a tight race with OTT & MTL.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
MTL loses, BUF loses, ARI wins

with the way motnreal and Vancouver are losing, we cannot afford any wins at the moment

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
MTL loses, BUF loses, ARI wins

with the way motnreal and Vancouver are losing, we cannot afford any wins at the moment

and the bottom teams are playing each other a lot a the moment...edmonton-ottawa today, montreal-buffalo tomorrow. Buffalo is too far away, so lets hope they somehow manage to win this one. vancouver against the hawks

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I wanted to go to the Ottawa @ Detroit game and check out LCA for the first time, but $95 for nosebleeds is the cheapest ticket I can find so far. Really, $90 to watch two bad teams play each other? I am quite disappointed at this. Can you guys just bring back the Joe?
Assuming you have the flexibility to go at the last minute, I would check the secondary market on game day. For a clunker of a matchup, I'd be surprised if you can't find at least a pair or two for a lot less than $95 each.

EDIT: I just found a pair of nosebleeds starting at $63 each (probably plus taxes and fees), so keep searching, and I'm sure prices will drop between now and 3/31.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Assuming you have the flexibility to go at the last minute, I would check the secondary market on game day. For a clunker of a matchup, I'd be surprised if you can't find at least a pair or two for a lot less than $95 each.

EDIT: I just found a pair of nosebleeds starting at $63 each (probably plus taxes and fees), so keep searching, and I'm sure prices will drop between now and 3/31.

Yeah I live in Michigan so that was my plan. Wait a day or two beforehand. I’m more of a fan of old no frills arenas so I probably won’t like the LCA but you never know. No frills, good sight lines, that’s why my faves have always been the joe, Nassau, and old Mellon arena.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Standings Update (team, games, points):

EDM, 73, 69
CHI, 74, 69
DET, 73, 65
MON, 74, 64
OTT, 72, 63
ARI, 73, 61
VAN, 73, 59
BUF, 73, 58

Games tonight:

ARI at CAR
EDM at OTT
WSH at DET
VAN at CHI

Arizona has continued to surge, going 6-3-1 in their last 10. And if Vancouver is ever going to win a game, the listless Blackhawks are as good a chance as any...

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I think at best we drop two spots into fourth. Arizona isn't going to keep up their hot play and I don't know how much the Wings are going to be losing the rest of the season to drop too many spots.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I think at best we drop two spots into fourth. Arizona isn't going to keep up their hot play and I don't know how much the Wings are going to be losing the rest of the season to drop too many spots.

Arizona just might. They've been good for over a month.
Buffalo? Not so much.
I think it's going to be hard to keep up with Vancouver, Montreal and maybe Ottawa.

Detroit's been too damn healthy all year.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Part of me wants Detroit to draft either 1st or 5th, to all but guarantee that pick is used on a defenseman, so finishing 4th would likely result in dropping to 5th on lottery night (if they don't win a lottery spot).

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I just hope we don't finish 5th or 6th worst then I could see 2-3 teams jump us and we then pick at 7-8th range. We need no worse then the 6th overall to pick up a top echelon draft pick.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
I just hope we don't finish 5th or 6th worst then I could see 2-3 teams jump us and we then pick at 7-8th range. We need no worse then the 6th overall to pick up a top echelon draft pick.

We probably will finish 5th or 6th worst. Ottawa and Montreal just suck. We actually need Arizona to pass us lol.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
We need 3 point games and we're not getting them.
Buffalo is starting to stink again.

Yeah. Vancouver and Buffalo are probably out of reach. Arizona will hopefully finish strong. Realistically, we're mainly competing with Ottawa and Montreal for 4th last. In the event of Arizona finishing strong, that could be 3rd, but im not holding my breath.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

We probably will finish 5th or 6th worst. Ottawa and Montreal just suck. We actually need Arizona to pass us lol.

Of course and then they will reach for 27th ranked Serron Noel and pick him at 8th overall, because "we need to get bigger and tougher". Guy is huge and Tyler Wright absolutely loves his size and character over anything else.

With Vegas pick they will take Martin Samuelsson, guy is also big strong character defenceman like his dad. Wright loves those ex-NHLrs son picks, like Turgeon. He even traded up for him!

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Games this weekend: DET/TOR, WSH/MTL, CAR/OTT, ARI/FLA, CHI/NYI, BUF/NYR, LAK/EDM
Monday we play MTL
22. NYR - 74 - 62 (29)
23. NYI - 74 - 72 (28)
24. EDM - 74 - 71 (29)
25. CHI - 75 - 69 (29)
26. MTL – 75 - 66 (25)
27. DET - 74 - 65 (22)
28. OTT - 73 - 63 (24)
29. ARI - 74 - 61 (23)
30. VAN - 75 - 61 (26)

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Well, Detroit did it's thing with a 0 point night but got absolutely no help with the tank tonight.

Loses by Buffalo, Arizona, Ottawa, and Montreal. Not a single point. Brutal.

Standings have been flipped and games remaining has replaced games played.

1. BUF - 7 - 58 (22)
2. ARI - 7 - 61 (23)
3. VAN - 7 - 61 (26)
4. OTT - 8 - 63 (24)
5. DET - 7 - 65 (22)
6. MTL - 6 - 66 (25)
7. CHI - 6 - 71 (30)

With 7 games remaining for the wings, a 4 point window is a good range to monitor. That gives us a 5 team focus. Things could change but seems reasonable to focus on just these teams.

Problem is Detroit has an easy schedule the rest of the way.
MTL
PIT
BUF
OTT
CBJ
MTL
NYI

Not a single one of those teams is fighting for their lives. Pit and Cbj might be jockeying for home ice but the rest are far out of it. That's not good for the tank.

Only Van plays tomorrow. A win would be nice.

2. ARI - 7 - 61 (23)
3. VAN - 7 - 61 (26)
4. OTT - 8 - 63 (24)
5. DET - 7 - 65 (22)
6. MTL - 6 - 66 (25)

Reactions: WesNichols14

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00