2017-2018 Standings Tracker

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Well folks. A simple thread to track our standings. Won’t call it a tank thread or a playoffs thread. We’ll just continue to monitor a 4 point window to watch our movement.

35 Games left. 5.6% of making the post season. LGRW!

Team - Games - Points (Row)

22. CHI - 47 - 50 (22)
23. CAR - 48 - 50 (18)
24. DET - 47 - 46 (16)
25. MTL - 48 - 46 (18)
26. EDM - 48 - 45 (20)
27. FLA - 46 - 44 (17)
28. VAN - 48 - 44 (19)

Chicago plays tonight.

Let’s do our best to keep the thread about the standings. Thanks.

Reactions: TheMule93

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Chicago gets a point. I'm gonna change the parameters. 6 point window

22. CHI - 48 - 51 (22)
23. CAR - 48 - 50 (18)
24. DET - 47 - 46 (16)
25. MTL - 48 - 46 (18)

26. EDM - 48 - 45 (20)
27. FLA - 46 - 44 (17)
28. VAN - 48 - 44 (19)

Everyone plays tomorrow.

Det vs Chi
Car vs Mtl

So, 11 points in play. Detroit can end the night from 24th to 27th.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Crazy to see Chicago so close to us in the bottom. Can’t root for us to lose against them either, I’d rather help them miss the playoffs.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Crazy to see Chicago so close to us in the bottom. Can’t root for us to lose against them either, I’d rather help them miss the playoffs.

Screw that, I'd prefer them to make the playoffs and gets swept first round again :laugh:

If they somehow won the lottery and got Dahlin I would be pissed.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Now that over 50% of the season is played, do you guys think that one of the bottom feeders emerges and we fall a bit in the standings? Or that we even rise and get close to the playoffs? In the beginning of the season everone thought that the oilers will get out of their slump, as well as the panthers. When karlson came back, we thought that the sens would rise in the standings.

I begin to think that the standings are now pretty much what it is. These teams just play bad, although they have individual talent we can only dream of. I thought that, with our defense, we might be just as bad as arizona.

Turns out we're playing better than a lot of teams. I'm dying a little bit inside saying this, but maybe blashhill isn' such abad coach :ha:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Turns out we're playing better than a lot of teams. I'm dying a little bit inside saying this, but maybe blashhill isn' such abad coach :ha:

Ironically enough it's the kids that are keeping this team afloat. I guess if you want to tank you start trading players like Larkin, Mantha and AA. That would be foolish, of course.

Also ironic is the Red Wings still aren't as bad as Arizona, Buffalo, Florida and Edmonton, four teams that were supposed to be well on their way to contender status with the amount of top picks they've had.

Another ironic twist is the team that was one game away from the Stanley Cup final is also now in the cellar with a generational defenseman while an expansion team with cast offs is the best team in the league.

It's as if Ken Holland was right all along.

Reactions: Ingvar and Henkka

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ironically enough it's the kids that are keeping this team afloat. I guess if you want to tank you start trading players like Larkin, Mantha and AA. That would be foolish, of course.

Teams have finished worse with better young players (kinda like you say in paragraph 2). You do not have to trade them.

Also ironic is the Red Wings still aren't as bad as Arizona, Buffalo, Florida and Edmonton, four teams that were supposed to be well on their way to contender status with the amount of top picks they've had.

Yeah, although there are reasons those teams aren't doing better that don't really apply to us.

Another ironic twist is the team that was one game away from the Stanley Cup final is also now in the cellar with a generational defenseman while an expansion team with cast offs is the best team in the league.

It's as if Ken Holland was right all along.

About there being parity? Sure. Not sure what else you are really trying to say here.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Wins... Chicago, Edmonton, Carolina
Losses... Montreal, Florida, Van City

6/11 points

Chicago out of range. Edmonton passes Detroit.

23. CAR - 49 - 52 (19)
24. EDM 49 - 47 (20)
25. DET - 48 - 46 (16)
26. MTL - 49 - 46 (18)
27. FLA - 47 - 44 (17)
28. VAN - 49 - 44 (19)

4 days off. Bolded are the teams playing the first night back 8 points available.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Detroit is quite far back now. Even assuming they win all games in hand, Detroit is behind Toronto by 9 points and 8 points out of the wildcard spot. That's almost 20% of their current points that they'd have to gain—on top of any points earned by the teams ahead.

It's just not doable. It's time to sell.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Detroit is quite far back now. Even assuming they win all games in hand, Detroit is behind Toronto by 9 points and 8 points out of the wildcard spot. That's almost 20% of their current points that they'd have to gain—on top of any points earned by the teams ahead.

It's just not doable. It's time to sell.

Yes it is. And it seems Holland agrees with you as it was reported today that he told the league he was open for business. There's actually a thread about this in the forum. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/nhl-teams-being-told-detroit-ready-to-deal.2440377/

And it seems you've posted in that same thread today.

But to add to the not gonna happen conversation...

Detroit Red Wings Playoff Chances

Lost to Chicago 1-5, playoff odds down 3.3 to 2%

Jul 30, 2005
Yes it is. And it seems Holland agrees with you as it was reported today that he told the league he was open for business. There's actually a thread about this in the forum. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/nhl-teams-being-told-detroit-ready-to-deal.2440377/

And it seems you've posted in that same thread today.

But to add to the not gonna happen conversation...

Detroit Red Wings Playoff Chances

Lost to Chicago 1-5, playoff odds down 3.3 to 2%
It might be logical that the Wings are ready to sell and rebuild, but that doesn't mean (1) Ken Holland will accept it, and (2) some posters here will accept it. So the way I figure, the playoff dream is only dead when it is truly mathematically dead, and we have to keep tracking it until that point.

Reasonable people think it's done, but we're not always dealing with reasonable people. If you had said "surely 5% chance to make the playoffs is low enough that we can agree it's not going to happen," you would have been wrong both in terms of Holland and posters. They were both still talking about what could happen with a long enough win streak.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
It might be logical that the Wings are ready to sell and rebuild, but that doesn't mean (1) Ken Holland will accept it, and (2) some posters here will accept it. So the way I figure, the playoff dream is only dead when it is truly mathematically dead, and we have to keep tracking it until that point.

Reasonable people think it's done, but we're not always dealing with reasonable people. If you had said "surely 5% chance to make the playoffs is low enough that we can agree it's not going to happen," you would have been wrong both in terms of Holland and posters. They were both still talking about what could happen with a long enough win streak.

This thread is more about how low we'll finish, rather than will we make the playoffs. Keep it going till the end of the season :thumbu:

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005

Bring it to another thread. Try the one I linked to about Holland being ready to deal.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
France. I guessed I pounced on ya. My bad.

I got triggered by your “if 1. Holland can accept it” on the same day it’s reported that he has told the league that he’s open for business. Then to add it into this thread. Every thread gets steered by that stuff. There’s plenty places to go talk about Holland.

That’s all.

Jul 30, 2005
France. I guessed I pounced on ya. My bad.

I got triggered by your “if 1. Holland can accept it” on the same day it’s reported that he has told the league that he’s open for business. Then to add it into this thread. Every thread gets steered by that stuff. There’s plenty places to go talk about Holland.

That’s all.
Yeah, I didn't mean for it to be Holland talk. I was really just taking a jokey shot at him. I see your point, though.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Ottawa was a point away from getting within 6 points but they always lose.

Ok, 6/8 for the tracker thing. Carolina, Florida and Vancouver win. Montreal loses.

24. EDM 49 - 47 (20)
25. FLA - 48 - 46 (18)
26. DET - 48 - 46 (16)
27. VAN - 50 - 46 (20)
28. MTL - 50 - 46 (18)

Just Detroit in action tomorrow. Could jump to 24th.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Looking at the Feb/March schedule, my guess is we hold steady around 24-26 and then get hammered in March.

Reactions: rhef3

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Some good news tonight.
Ottawa defeats Anaheim, 2-1.
Mixed news
Florida beats Buffalo, 4-2.
Carolina beats Montreal, 2-0.
Bad news
Rangers lost to Toronto, 4-0

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What is detroit's record without green ?

does he help or hurt the tank with him gone ?

It will be worse. But as Redder Winger keeps pointing out our roughest month is March anyway. Even with Green we would get hammered pretty good. Without him, we have no D-man that excels in the offensive zone or consistently transitioning the puck.

I don't think it will be pretty, but who knows maybe they deal Howard and Mrazek goes on one of his Vezina caliber runs of form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad