2017-2018 Standings Tracker

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
What an epic month for the tank so far. It's nice to see the Oilers start to pull away a bit. Canadiens need to step it up.

Remaining games:

vs Flyers
vs Capitals
@ Maple Leafs
@ Canadiens
vs Penguins
@ Sabres
vs Senators
@ Blue Jackets
vs Canadiens
vs Islanders

I think it's likely we lose to the Flyers, Capitals, Maple Leafs, Penguins, Blue Jackets, and Islanders.

It's those 2 games against the Canadiens and the games against the Senators and Sabres that would be bonus losses.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I know it's for the greater good that they're losing so much, but holy f*** this is painful to watch. Can only imagine how much it sucks being on the team right now. Just 10 more games to go ...

Reactions: Winger98

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I know it's for the greater good that they're losing so much, but holy **** this is painful to watch. Can only imagine how much it sucks being on the team right now. Just 10 more games to go ...

Well, they have a choice. They just suck at their jobs, maybe it is time for several of them to find something else to do.

Reactions: Filppula

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I know it's for the greater good that they're losing so much, but holy **** this is painful to watch. Can only imagine how much it sucks being on the team right now. Just 10 more games to go ...

Got at least another three or four years of this depending on how the lottery balls fall. Get used to it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Tbh looks like the team is embracing the tank. Personally I only watch the games with one eye now. It’s not so bad. Not much to gain from winning right now.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You guys have a higher tolerance than I do. No idea how fans can regularly tune in to a product like this.

I mean, I'll catch a game here and there, to see what bloopers they come up with next while rooting for the tank, but catching the bulk of 82 games? For this team? Nah, I can't stomach that one.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
With this 10 game losing skid I have to admit I can see an alternate version of Holland than the one I've been complaining about this season.

That he does know just how bad this roster is. That as some suggested he spent to the cap to keep the team entertaining and keep some illusion of being competitive for at least half the season in order to sell tickets, knowing that at the trade deadline he can move some pieces and the house of cards will tumble. He was probably counting on moving Green but in the end that didn't matter.

Being dead last is no longer a guarantee first overall pick so why not try to have your cake and eat it too?

I still think he's been much too slow to react to the rebuild these last few seasons so I won't let him off the hook for that. I think he was probably hedging his bets more than anything on the off chance the team pulled a Vegas and could've made the playoffs, but in the end it's all working out.

Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better as I watch my team struggle so desperately.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Is the NHL announcing the draft order in April like they did last year?
I posted this in the draft thread:

I don't think they've released an official date, other than it will be during the playoffs.

However, last year, the playoffs started on Wednesday, 4/12, and the lottery was on Saturday, 4/29. This year, the playoffs start on Wednesday, 4/11, so I'd expect the 2018 lottery to be on Saturday, 4/28.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
With this 10 game losing skid I have to admit I can see an alternate version of Holland than the one I've been complaining about this season.

That he does know just how bad this roster is. That as some suggested he spent to the cap to keep the team entertaining and keep some illusion of being competitive for at least half the season in order to sell tickets, knowing that at the trade deadline he can move some pieces and the house of cards will tumble. He was probably counting on moving Green but in the end that didn't matter.

Being dead last is no longer a guarantee first overall pick so why not try to have your cake and eat it too?

I still think he's been much too slow to react to the rebuild these last few seasons so I won't let him off the hook for that. I think he was probably hedging his bets more than anything on the off chance the team pulled a Vegas and could've made the playoffs, but in the end it's all working out.

Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better as I watch my team struggle so desperately.

Because you can't win without talent.
Anyone with any sense knew Detroit wasn't a legit team this year.

People can point to Vegas, but Vegas was able to pick and choose their entire team at once, which is in many ways easier than adjusting as you go.
They also weren't hamstrung by Holland's "winning culture" and Holland's winning culture contracts.

They had a blank slate and no expectations.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Because you can't win without talent.
Anyone with any sense knew Detroit wasn't a legit team this year.

People can point to Vegas, but Vegas was able to pick and choose their entire team at once, which is in many ways easier than adjusting as you go.
They also weren't hamstrung by Holland's "winning culture" and Holland's winning culture contracts.

They had a blank slate and no expectations.

There was no alternative this year. We were going to lose.
We're going to lose again next year, even if we get Dahlin and sign Tavares.

It's going to take considerable talent acquisition and maturation for this team to be the kind of team that plays well and competes for anything real.

If Detroit lands Dahlin and hits a couple more draft picks, I think we'll have a lot of the pieces we need to return to respectability. But it's still going to take a little bit of time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, they were trailing 1-2...

...but took the 3-2 lead again on the last 3 mins.

4-2 Arizona wins.

Man, I can't imagine being Calgary fan right now, when they miss the playffs, and their 1st (not lottery-protected) is traded to Islanders. If Islanders will win Dahlin with that pick... and they got Hamonic.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Man, I can't imagine being Calgary fan right now, when they miss the playffs, and their 1st (not lottery-protected) is traded to Islanders. If Islanders will win Dahlin with that pick... and they got Hamonic.
Didn’t realize they didn’t have their 1st. Ouch..

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Yeah, they were trailing 1-2...

...but took the 3-2 lead again on the last 3 mins.

4-2 Arizona wins.

I don't even understand why they need Hamonic.
They had Giordano. Hamilton. Brodie.

They've got prospects like Adam Fox and Kylington and Andersson and Valimaki.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Arizona plays Buffalo on Wednesday, somebody's gotta win. We're on 63, Arizona has 59 and Buffalo has 58 (Vancouver is still on 59)

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
The boys are gonna start winning a few games, no way they go winless for the rest of the season. So really need Montreal to start winning abit aswell.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Detroit might not yet be dead last in the standings, but they've received their first "worst" power ranking:

PHT Power Rankings: Red Wings hit rock bottom

Not that anything is new information, not I wonder if these type of articles ever reach the ears of ownership (or at least their inner circle). I'd hope that Chris Ilitch cringes if he hears stuff like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad