Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Well his job is to write for the OCRegister, so yes, he would want you to read everything he writes. As you should.

so you're telling me that if I'm busy, traveling, whatever and I'm curious about an update on Eaves, it's wrong of me to ask him on Twitter before checking every article he's written? Even if the titles have nothing to do with injuries? Give me a break.

I'm not even going to say he's great at his job, although I love his writing, but the level of hate you and others have is hilarious, bordering on sad.

He's a great writer but he's pretty shitty at covering the team and he clearly doesn't enjoy it.

Personally I don't hate him. I just find him to be terrible at covering the team. His frustration with questions is lame as f*** too.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
so you're telling me that if I'm busy, traveling, whatever and I'm curious about an update on Eaves, it's wrong of me to ask him on Twitter before checking every article he's written? Even if the titles have nothing to do with injuries? Give me a break.

He's a great writer but he's pretty ****ty at covering the team and he clearly doesn't enjoy it.

Personally I don't hate him. I just find him to be terrible at covering the team. His frustration with questions is lame as **** too.

The first ones a weak hypothetical thats never happened to you, and still yes. Don't be a lazy ass, you know full well it'll be in there.

And I've never seen any kind of sign of him not enjoying it. Again sounds like you're just trying to invent reasons why you hate him so much.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
The first ones a weak hypothetical thats never happened to you, and still yes. Don't be a lazy ass, you know full well it'll be in there.

And I've never seen any kind of sign of him not enjoying it. Again sounds like you're just trying to invent reasons why you hate him so much.

You mean like during the playoffs last year when, and I’m paraphrasing, he tweeted something to the extent of “for gods sake just let the game end” when the Ducks were getting involved in scrums after the whistle in the 3rd period of a blowout game?

Reactions: Duck Off

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

So I guess simply asking questions is a bad thing? Jesus Christ as least be realistic when you're tying to defend him. It's one thing to search through the headlines, it's another to go through every article for things unrelated to the title. (Example a paintball story).

And yeah that actually has happened to me on a few times bud. It's not just some lame hypothetical. Not that I owe you the circumstances but since you just dismissed it entirely as some "weak hypothetical", I'll tell you. Didn't watch look at anything hockey related 2 years ago for 2 weeks when my father was in ICU for emergency heart surgery (then taking care of what was needed afterwards) and then the more recent one was a cruise out of the country for 10 days where I leave the phone off (primarily to get away from work). Not everyone has time to always keep up with it all the time. So it's not a weak ass hypothetical. And just because people don't feel like they should go through every article that's unrelated to their question before asking doesn't make them lazy.

I've never seen any kind of sign of him not enjoying it. Again sounds like you're just trying to invent reasons why you hate him so much.

Then you either don't follow him or just are refuse to admit that he's been a dick at times.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
So I guess simply asking questions is a bad thing? Jesus Christ as least be realistic when you're tying to defend him. It's one thing to search through the headlines, it's another to go through every article for things unrelated to the title. (Example a paintball story).

And yeah that actually has happened to me on a few times bud. It's not just some lame hypothetical. Not that I owe you the circumstances but since you just dismissed it entirely as some "weak hypothetical", I'll tell you. Didn't watch look at anything hockey related 2 years ago for 2 weeks when my father was in ICU for emergency heart surgery (then taking care of what was needed afterwards) and then the more recent one was a cruise out of the country for 10 days where I leave the phone off (primarily to get away from work). Not everyone has time to always keep up with it all the time. So it's not a weak ass hypothetical. And just because people don't feel like they should go through every article that's unrelated to their question before asking doesn't make them lazy.

Then you either don't follow him or just are refuse to admit that he's been a dick at times.

It doesn't, but you might also realize that in many cases these are dumb questions, asked by multiple people, when he obviously doesn't have an answer or has already answered it. I too would find that annoying. You realize he could just turn notifications off, right?

I've followed him on Twitter since I got the thing, and at best I've seen him get mildly annoyed, typically with decent reason, and even then he's almost always polite. It's ridiculous to call him a dick, he's clearly a pretty nice guy.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
You mean like during the playoffs last year when, and I’m paraphrasing, he tweeted something to the extent of “for gods sake just let the game end” when the Ducks were getting involved in scrums after the whistle in the 3rd period of a blowout game?

That's a very interesting bit of paraphrasing there that kind of gives you away.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
It doesn't, but you might also realize that in many cases these are dumb questions, asked by multiple people, when he obviously doesn't have an answer or has already answered it. I too would find that annoying. You realize he could just turn notifications off, right?

That's fair in that I agree that sometimes the questions are dumb. However, that's part of his job. His job is to cover the Ducks so dumb questions or not, he should expect them. And let's not act like he doesn't get upset at legitimate questions either. It may be wrong to ask about Fowler right away but isn't it kind of reasonable to expect people to jump to that question because of how important he is to the team? That's the kind of stuff that bugs me. Yeah the constant questions may get frustrating but if it does just don't respond, don't be a dick about it.

I think the "being a dick" thing is getting out of hand though. My issue with him is his complete lack of passion about the Ducks. Him being a jerk to people just makes it worse though.

followed him on Twitter since I got the thing, and at best I've seen him get mildly annoyed, typically with decent reason, and even then he's almost always polite. It's ridiculous to call him a dick, he's clearly a pretty nice guy.

My first comment said I've seen him be a dick not that he is a dick, but the second one definitely kind of says he's being a dick so I get it if you think that's what I was saying. I was not trying to say that he's always a dick but I've definitely seen him be one. There's a big difference. I've seen him be a very passive aggressive ass to a few people, which I would call being a dick.

Geez there's a lot of Dicks in that post.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
That's a very interesting bit of paraphrasing there that kind of gives you away.

It doesn’t give anything away? I don’t have the exact tweet but it’s almost word for word what he said. Anyone who follows him will remember it. He got all kinds of negative feedback for it, after which he offered some half-assed apology.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It doesn’t give anything away? I don’t have the exact tweet but it’s almost word for word what he said. Anyone who follows him will remember it. He got all kinds of negative feedback for it, after which he offered some half-assed apology.

It's not, you just straight up added the "for God's sake" part, which completely changes the tone. Everything else you said also seems to have been invented. It's kind of weird, but like I said, gives away an agenda.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
It's not, you just straight up added the "for God's sake" part, which completely changes the tone. Everything else you said also seems to have been invented. It's kind of weird, but like I said, gives away an agenda.

I guess you remember the tweet then since you know what I'm talking about. Maybe it wasn't "for god's sake just let the game end", maybe it was "come on just let the game end"? Regardless of the exact words, it was clear what he was trying to say.

I have no agenda other than wishing we had a better (or maybe more passionate?) beat writer, an opinion shared by many. If Eric covered the Dodgers and we got someone else, it would make everyone happier. The new guy that covers the team for the LA Times, for example, seems pretty raw at this type of reporting but he does seem to have an enthusiasm for the sport which I appreciate.

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Glad that's settled.

Stephens is a dick. He doesn't like his job or the fans. He barely asks questions and only recently began offering even the barest insight. He sucks. You can defend him all you like, but given how willfully blind you're being, I'm going to assume you and he share the same enthusiasm for the Dodgers.
Lol, only time I watched baseball was when the diamondbacks won the World Series. You're just making assumptions again with nothing to prove it.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
An insider will get more inside info and break more stories but beat writers are generally quick to get on a story and occasionally break it themselves. Stephens does neither.

Obviously he can't be a dick constantly but the fact that he gets as annoyed as he does is lame. He's not a dick all the time, but his annoyance is lame. Especially when you consider the questions are about the team he covers. God forbid someone want to know something about the team and think it's not a big deal to ask. If he doesn't enjoy the questions or interactions, he probably shouldn't be on Twitter

You're ignoring that many of articles headlines have important things that aren't relevant to the title. Look at the last story. Personally I could care less about the off ice activities but the injury updates are really important to me. Some may have seen that update because they didn't care about a paintball excursion.

Would you get annoyed if tons of people asked you the same question that, one, you've covered already in an article you've written. Or two, could be found if you looked at any of the time frames of injured players? Some of the questions people ask could be answered with a simple google search.

He can be annoyed with people asking the same, easily answered questions, but the idea he's always a dick to people who ask him questions and he hates covering the Ducks is such a made up idea I don't even know how people thought of it.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
So we will keep Montour with Bieksa or Beauchemin then? I don't like that idea at all.

If I had it my way it would be Megna. But in a sheltered third pairing role I don't have any issue with him playing with the other two. Playing 16 mins a night against third lines with Beauchemin is a lot different to playing 20 a night with him against 2nd lines.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
With Fowler out, maybe (hopefully) it will make RC rethink the pairings. Putting Lindholm with Manson just creates too much imbalance. Maybe you can pair those two together at the end of periods or protecting a lead late, but until Sami comes back the talent needs to be more spread out. I don't think we're in a position to play those two 25-30 minutes each either, which is what would probably be required if one of the other pairings was Megna-Bieksa or Beauch-Bieksa. Playing on the road would only make it worse since the opponent would be able to get the matchup they wanted pretty regularly.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
If I had it my way it would be Megna. But in a sheltered third pairing role I don't have any issue with him playing with the other two. Playing 16 mins a night against third lines with Beauchemin is a lot different to playing 20 a night with him against 2nd lines.
What's the story on Megna? I don't really notice him playing and that's usually good, but I'm not sure what kind of player he's supposed to be.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
What's the story on Megna? I don't really notice him playing and that's usually good, but I'm not sure what kind of player he's supposed to be.

I quite like him. He's soft as hell for his size but has a great reach which helps him defend one on one and strip pucks along the boards. Some offensive instincts too. He could stand to be more aggressive but he's miles better than the two dinosaurs and Holzer IMO.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I guess you remember the tweet then since you know what I'm talking about. Maybe it wasn't "for god's sake just let the game end", maybe it was "come on just let the game end"? Regardless of the exact words, it was clear what he was trying to say.

I have no agenda other than wishing we had a better (or maybe more passionate?) beat writer, an opinion shared by many. If Eric covered the Dodgers and we got someone else, it would make everyone happier. The new guy that covers the team for the LA Times, for example, seems pretty raw at this type of reporting but he does seem to have an enthusiasm for the sport which I appreciate.

I think I found the tweet, being it's the only one of his that has the words "game" and "end" in it, and it literally just says "wait for the game to end" for an update on Fowler. So pretty much nothing as you describe.

I find the Dodgers complaints a bit weird, although it's kind of similar to how the "stick to sports" crowd, but more than that, I really don't get why "passion" matters at all. If anything, I would absolutely hate a passionate Ducks fan covering the team, it would be the worst.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I quite like him. He's soft as hell for his size but has a great reach which helps him defend one on one and strip pucks along the boards. Some offensive instincts too. He could stand to be more aggressive but he's miles better than the two dinosaurs and Holzer IMO.

I'm worried were going to lose him pretty quickly. Maybe/hopefully Holzer goes first, but they both maybe/probably will have to at some point, and I could see teams take a flier on him. I wonder if we should've snuck him down to San Diego like Kerdiles.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I think I found the tweet, being it's the only one of his that has the words "game" and "end" in it, and it literally just says "wait for the game to end" for an update on Fowler. So pretty much nothing as you describe.

I find the Dodgers complaints a bit weird, although it's kind of similar to how the "stick to sports" crowd, but more than that, I really don't get why "passion" matters at all. If anything, I would absolutely hate a passionate Ducks fan covering the team, it would be the worst.

It was from the playoffs. Found it. I guess it wasn’t exactly the words I remembered, but something similar. My bad.

Anyways we can agree to disagree. I do agree that having a passionate fan wouldn’t make a good beat writer. I guess I meant passionate about the sport in general. But no worries.

Last edited:

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Like you said he is soft for his size, but he plays a pretty safe game and doesn't seem to go on many adventures which makes him a solid #6/#7. It would be nice to have an ok 3rd pairing next season when Bieksa/Beauch are off the books.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
This season schedule is something else. The next game is on the 24th, so we'll have a 10-day stretch, where we only played two games. Now the team will head on to a road trip, where they'll play four games in six days. It's like there's no logic in how the games are "paced" over the course of the season.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think Wagner is ready to center his own line, with Kase on his wing. Those two are buzzing around out there. If they keep it up we will be much deeper than last year when healthy

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogs-Vermette-Silf
Ritchie-Wagner-Kase
Then you have Grant and Shaw for a decent fourth line that can play 8-10 minutes
Probably the best we can hope for now
I think Grant has moved past Rasmussen on the depth chart. As meh as I was on Grant at first, with a little more luck he could have 3 or 4 goals right now. Maybe getting the monkey off his back finally is what he needed for a little more offense in his career

Reactions: ScarTroy
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It was from the playoffs. Found it. I guess it wasn’t exactly the words I remembered, but something similar. My bad.

Anyways we can agree to disagree. I do agree that having a passionate fan wouldn’t make a good beat writer. I guess I meant passionate about the sport in general. But no worries.

That is nowhere close to what you were describing, that one was obviously directed at the team, not remotely at any fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad