Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Article on Wagner's progression as a player. This is interesting:

A move to wing by Ducks coach Randy Carlyle was his biggest break. A commitment to physical play earned his boss’s trust. “It was his first real opportunity to play and to find a position where the coaching staff and the management were on the same page in where he should play,” Carlyle said. “He’s been a diligent worker for our hockey club. “I think the biggest injustice that we did to Wags is we played him in the middle for so long. I don’t think he’s a center iceman. I think he’s a winger. And he has flourished since we put him in that position.”

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Would you get annoyed if tons of people asked you the same question that, one, you've covered already in an article you've written. Or two, could be found if you looked at any of the time frames of injured players?

Would I get annoyed personally? I'd like to think not, but maybe. However, I damn sure wouldn't show it. His job is to cover the Ducks. He, or at least the OC, wants people to read his articles. People asking questions about the Ducks should be expected. It is flat out stupid to expect people to read every article he reads, especially when the article title has nothing to do with the question asked. Example: His latest article title was about paintballing. It had an update about Eaves at the end of it. Do you think it would have been okay for him to get annoyed at someone tweeting him "what's the latest on Eaves"? Is it right of him to just think "why didn't they just read my article I just posted?" I don't. There are some things that I have zero interest in reading about. Off ice activities is one of them. Maybe if I'm bored out of my mind. If those type of questions are really that annoying than he's in the wrong job. I have plants all over the country and I run the Logistics for all of them. If one of my managers is a dick to someone asking a Logistics question even if it's obvious or has already been answered, it is absolutely not okay.

Some of the questions people ask could be answered with a simple google search.

If his mindset is really "why don't they just google it and not bother me?" than he needs to seek a different job, period. If I tell someone to just "google it", I'm getting fired. That would be a terrible mindset to have.

He can be annoyed with people asking the same, easily answered questions, but the idea he's always a dick to people who ask him questions and he hates covering the Ducks is such a made up idea I don't even know how people thought of it.

Quite frankly he shouldn't ever show that annoyance over polite legitimate questions. It's better to not respond than be a dick about it. "Hates covering the Ducks" may be too harsh, but he absolutely is not passionate about it, and I don't think he's very good at it. I definitely don't think he likes it either. Beat writer, insider, whatever, he should be one of first ones on Ducks news, and he rarely is.
Oddly enough I think he's been better this year (going back to the offseason) than in the past. He does give practice updates quickly, which I do like. However, he does seem more irritable this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12ozPapa

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'm not sure why people think raging about him online is going to change anything. He's a good writer who doesn't like to say anything he doesn't have well sourced. Putting him on blast isn't going to make him
jump through hoops for anyone.

I don't think anything said on this board is meant to change anything. I don't mind the lack of spec on his part, although I did like that he was doing it more this past offseason. It's the lack of passion, urgency, etc. that bugs me the most. His annoyance at questions about the Ducks is dumb as f*** too though.

Ok then, I'm not sure what the point is about the twice weekly vent session is then. Not saying you're venting that often, but the topic seems to come up about that frequently. Having a group bash you online does not predispose you to do anything other than avoid them at best, and troll them at worst.

I don't really care, I just don't understand what people's end game is.

I think it comes up a lot (from multiple different posters) because of a lack of news out of him, when ideally he's on it quick. Like I said a few pages back, I thought it was pretty telling that Zupke, who covered the Ducks what..? A year? Was consistently getting information quicker than he was.

Like I said, I wasn't necessarily talking to you. I was just wondering why people were arguing about it for two straight days. It's not going to change anything, and it's not like what gets said here doesn't get back to him.

I understand the power of a good vent though. :thumbu:

The multiple days is probably my fault. I don't post often unless I'm at work, although I was doing it the other night for a bit. It's pretty common for me to not respond for a day or 2 though. That's one of the reasons I prefer message boards opposed to chat rooms.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
So, is Grant going to stick around all year? Or is this just a case of him playing, and get some PP minutes because of injuries.

I think he's definitely going to stay all year. He's been better than Rasmussen (who's been a huge disappointment IMO), and Carlyle seems to love him. I expect the PP time to end when the team is healthy though.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Kossila called up per Ducks Twitter and Eric Stephens.

Wonder if Larsson or Petersen will be called up as well?

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Getzlaf-Vermette-Ras/Kossila-Grant, as eek as it looks, will be more beneficial than having Rakell stay in the middle.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Ducks power play unit per Stephens:

Kase-Rakell-Perry
Getzlaf-Montour

2nd unit is 4 forwards with Lindholm at point. (Vermette, Ritchie, Grant, and Silfverberg are the forwards).

I like Montour on the first unit, but worried about entry into offensive zone. This was definitely the biggest benefactor of having Fowler on the #1 PP.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Shame that Montour's puckhandling at speed isn't as good as Fowler.

I would like to see them try Montour at the half-wall, to be honest. I think there's some potential there.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I'm really looking forward to the Grant - Kossila - Boll line playing 3 minutes. If we're lucky, Kossila won't even have to take off his suit, because he's not touching the puck anyway.

Shoot me now.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Ducks power play unit per Stephens:

Kase-Rakell-Perry
Getzlaf-Montour

2nd unit is 4 forwards with Lindholm at point. (Vermette, Ritchie, Grant, and Silfverberg are the forwards).

I like Montour on the first unit, but worried about entry into offensive zone. This was definitely the biggest benefactor of having Fowler on the #1 PP.

4 forwards and 5 RHS on the first unit? Why doesn't Carlyle look at our PP% and realise it's not working and that 5 RHS reduces almost all of our one timer options?

Also Lindholm has a much better track record on the PP than Montour. If we are going with 4 forwards I want the guy who is better defensively and who has a track record of good PP numbers at the NHL level over a rookie who is nowhere near as good defensively.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Lindholm has also slipped in PP time year over year, and seems to have fallen into Carlyle's bucket of "strictly defensive defencemen". He's not getting 1st PP unit time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad