Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Please give us lindholm montour and Manson Fowler. Great pairings in my opinion even if vats is the odd man out. However if they plan on moving vats at some point then leaving him on the 3rd pairing wouldn't help his trade value. I like vats on the pk and pp so maybe he will make up no tues there.

Lindholm Vatanen was a great pairing when it was tried too. Better than Lindholm and Montour were. It's just Carlyle never tried them together after we saw them do well together briefly under BB.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
This isn't literally true, but I still checked it, which just demonstrates how poorly he's perceived.
Or it demonstrates how absurd people think about him, heaven forbid he tweets something not related to the Ducks, heaven forbid he likes other sports! We should take his press badge away, only people who like hockey can be a beat reporter for the Ducks!!

Heck, the dude was tweeting about the Dodger who are in the MLB playoffs and are going to be in the world series, cut him some slack guys, jeez.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Or it demonstrates how absurd people think about him, heaven forbid he tweets something not related to the Ducks, heaven forbid he likes other sports! We should take his press badge away, only people who like hockey can be a beat reporter for the Ducks!!
Oof. The poor straw man, sucker punched without mercy.

No one would criticize Stephens for being a baseball fan if there was any evidence he was also a hockey fan, or even remotely interested in hockey, or not contemptuous of Ducks fans. He's crap. This was just one way of showing that.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

No one would criticize Stephens for being a baseball fan if there was any evidence he was also a hockey fan, or even remotely interested in hockey, or not contemptuous of Ducks fans. He's crap. This was just one way of showing that.
I definitely don't think he's crap, but I do think it seems like he'd much rather cover some team that isn't the Ducks.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Montour has been solid (other then missing the net everytime he shoots) He has saved Beauchemin's ass multiple times on breakaways from being too slow or idiotic pinches.

He's been pretty unnoticeable, which for a defenseman isn't the worst thing. But given how he looked in the playoffs last year he's been disappointing.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
None of our injured players in tonight.

Actually, didn't see a report on Kase

Getz,Eaves,Lindholm,Vats,Miller out.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Do you think it's possible he has a disdain for Ducks fans because Ducks fans say he's not a fan of the team that he covers? You're making some bold claims about another person with no evidence besides, "well he tweets more about another sport, so he must not be a hockey fan!" Again, god forbid he tweets about another sport that isn't hockey, people are allowed to like other sports, especially a local team that is going to their version of the SCF.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Heck, the dude was tweeting about the Dodger who are in the MLB playoffs and are going to be in the world series, cut him some slack guys, jeez.

This is crap. There's plenty of reasons to be annoyed at him. For one, he's the Ducks insider so it's fair to judge him. Not only has he never broken anything, but his follow up is some tweet a few hours later that says "late to this but.." then he'll put together an article (he is a good writer) the next day. Other teams have a story on it shortly afterwards.

What annoys the hell out of me though is his distain for inquiries about the team? I think you'd agree that we want to grow the fanbase right? I've seen him be a complete dick to people asking him a question on twitter. He hates questions about players and just gets annoyed. It's one thing to get annoyed or not respond, but entirely different when he's kind dickish about it. Clearly I was being sarcastic when I said he was tweeting more about the Dodgers last night then he's ever done about the Ducks, but seeing how passionate he is about the Dodgers and discussing them is kind of annoying when he despises interacting with fans about the Ducks.

I will flat out admit that this isn't all on him. I don't think the team does a very good job promoting the team itself. I just find it really telling when Zupke, who covered the Ducks what..a year(?) was always more on top of news then him. I don't feel sorry for him in the least bit.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Do you think it's possible he has a disdain for Ducks fans because Ducks fans say he's not a fan of the team that he covers? You're making some bold claims about another person with no evidence besides, "well he tweets more about another sport, so he must not be a hockey fan!" Again, god forbid he tweets about another sport that isn't hockey, people are allowed to like other sports, especially a local team that is going to their version of the SCF.

honest question: Do you follow him on Twitter? If you do, I would think it'd be pretty clear why people don't like him. Like Booger said, if he was more passionate about the Ducks, and wasn't a dick to those who simply asked about a health update, then no one is saying anything.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I have to agree. It would be nice if the primary news reporter for the Ducks was passionate about the Ducks and hockey and was excited to communicate with Ducks fans.

Reactions: PCDiesel
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It's possible, but I really don't think that's why. He's the best argument against himself, and I've posted about it repeatedly. Really doesn't have anything to do with him posting about the Dodgers, as I've said. You're ignoring that, twice now. Stop doing that. The Dodgers thing was a humorous exaggerated illustration by Duck Off which is only relevant/funny because Stephens is the way he is.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
We live in a sports world where information is readily available and needs to be so to compete with other venues of entertainment, we also have a beat writer who when people ask if a player is injured or want to know something will rudely comment that they should wait more then ten minutes. He’s a fine writer, but there aren’t that many jobs like his and would be nice to have a writer more in tuned with the fan base.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
This is crap. There's plenty of reasons to be annoyed at him. For one, he's the Ducks insider so it's fair to judge him. Not only has he never broken anything, but his follow up is some tweet a few hours later that says "late to this but.." then he'll put together an article (he is a good writer) the next day. Other teams have a story on it shortly afterwards.

What annoys the hell out of me though is his distain for inquiries about the team? I think you'd agree that we want to grow the fanbase right? I've seen him be a complete dick to people asking him a question on twitter. He hates questions about players and just gets annoyed. It's one thing to get annoyed or not respond, but entirely different when he's kind dickish about it. Clearly I was being sarcastic when I said he was tweeting more about the Dodgers last night then he's ever done about the Ducks, but seeing how passionate he is about the Dodgers and discussing them is kind of annoying when he despises interacting with fans about the Ducks.

I will flat out admit that this isn't all on him. I don't think the team does a very good job promoting the team itself. I just find it really telling when Zupke, who covered the Ducks what..a year(?) was always more on top of news then him. I don't feel sorry for him in the least bit.

Great example of why your argument is whats crap, your very first point is very wrong. He's not an insider, and people desperately wanting him to be is where most of the hate comes from.

His "disdain" for Ducks fans is also a pretty funny point. It's mostly directed at people asking questions he's already answered, and is pretty much always polite. Pretty much your own projection.

Reactions: dracom

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Montour shouldn't be in the top 4 over Vatanen unless he ups his game with whatever new partner he gets when Lindholm is back. He's clearly going through some growing pains, it may be his partner or he may just be a sophomore who needs to be sheltered.

So we will keep Montour with Bieksa or Beauchemin then? I don't like that idea at all.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Stephens isn't an insider, he's a beat writer. Your argument against him falls flat when you want him to be something he's not.

honest question: Do you follow him on Twitter? If you do, I would think it'd be pretty clear why people don't like him. Like Booger said, if he was more passionate about the Ducks, and wasn't a dick to those who simply asked about a health update, then no one is saying anything.

I do, and I do not see him being a dick to people asking questions. Look that doesn't seem like being a dick to someone asking a question about players to me.

It's possible, but I really don't think that's why. He's the best argument against himself, and I've posted about it repeatedly. Really doesn't have anything to do with him posting about the Dodgers, as I've said. You're ignoring that, twice now. Stop doing that. The Dodgers thing was a humorous exaggerated illustration by Duck Off which is only relevant/funny because Stephens is the way he is.

The Dodger thing is obviously a joke, I didn't say otherwise. I used it as point to discuss why people like you and Duck Off hate of him is uncalled for. And still, why are you attacking his commitment to the Ducks and hockey based on his excitement for his baseball team making it to the World Series, you see how unfair that is right?

He’s a fine writer, but there aren’t that many jobs like his and would be nice to have a writer more in tuned with the fan base.
Sure, but Stephens does actually interact with the fan base and isn't a dick to everyone like people suggest. Being asked the same questions over and over again even after writing about it would get annoying to, but his rudeness to fans is MASSIVELY exaggerated.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
So we will keep Montour with Bieksa or Beauchemin then? I don't like that idea at all.
Seems to be par for the course though. We did it with Stoner and Vats, Theo with Bieksa, and now Montour with Beauch. Funny how Stoner was the best of the vets for the younger guys to play with.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Seems to be par for the course though. We did it with Stoner and Vats, Theo with Bieksa, and now Montour with Beauch. Funny how Stoner was the best of the vets for the younger guys to play with.

Stoner is still different from the other two, though (at least, Beauchemin’s current stint).

He was no spring chicken, but he is only 32, significantly younger than both Beauchemin and Bieksa.

Not only that, his game was meat and potatoes - he knew his strengths were net-front clearing and physicality, which Vatanen attempted but was significantly worse at.

Bieksa thinks he’s the second coming of Niedermayer, and Beauchemin now takes ages going anywhere. One tries something he’s obviously not good at, and the other is just too old to do what he does well.

I still think the best pairing we had with a rookie defenceman in recent years is Lindholm - Beauchemin. We kinda forgot that Lindholm had the benefit of a veteran guy on his other side because he matured so quickly on the defensive side, but back when Beauchemin was faster, those two were a great pair.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
The Dodger thing is obviously a joke, I didn't say otherwise.

And still, why are you attacking his commitment to the Ducks and hockey based on his excitement for his baseball team making it to the World Series, you see how unfair that is right?

Glad that's settled.

Stephens is a dick. He doesn't like his job or the fans. He barely asks questions and only recently began offering even the barest insight. He sucks. You can defend him all you like, but given how willfully blind you're being, I'm going to assume you and he share the same enthusiasm for the Dodgers.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Great example of why your argument is whats crap, your very first point is very wrong. He's not an insider, and people desperately wanting him to be is where most of the hate comes from.

His "disdain" for Ducks fans is also a pretty funny point. It's mostly directed at people asking questions he's already answered, and is pretty much always polite. Pretty much your own projection.

Okay so he's a beat writer. Poor wording on my part but it doesn't really change anything. Beat writers may not break as much news but most of the others are one of the first to report something or at least elaborate it. Stephens is always late to everything Ducks related. Beat writer or insider that's pretty sad regardless.

It's really not funny. He's a dick to people asking about the team he says he covers in his twitter bio. Regardless if he's written about it or not, he should expect those type of questions. I'm sure he'd welcome it if he was covering the Dodgers. The fact that he gets annoyed by that is also really stupid when you consider a lot of his articles that touch on things have a headlines that are completely unrelated to the question being asked. Just look at the recent one he posted "Ducks take aim at each other in a positive, team building way". That article had injury updates. So what he's just to expect that everyone reads every article? God forbid readers don't read every single thing he posts.

Nah the guy clearly just doesn't want to be bothered about the Ducks more than he has to be. I think it's kind of fitting that one of his most recent tweets had the comment "I just do my work". It was in regards to a fantasy question but it perfectly sums up Stephens's attitude toward the Ducks.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Okay so he's a beat writer. Poor wording on my part but it doesn't really change anything. Beat writers may not break as much news but most of the others are one of the first to report something or at least elaborate it. Stephens is always late to everything Ducks related. Beat writer or insider that's pretty sad regardless.

It's really not funny. He's a dick to people asking about the team he says he covers in his twitter bio. Regardless if he's written about it or not, he should expect those type of questions. I'm sure he'd welcome it if he was covering the Dodgers. The fact that he gets annoyed by that is also really stupid when you consider a lot of his articles that touch on things have a headlines that are completely unrelated to the question being asked. Just look at the recent one he posted "Ducks take aim at each other in a positive, team building way". That article had injury updates. So what he's just to expect that everyone reads every article? God forbid readers don't read every single thing he posts.

Nah the guy clearly just doesn't want to be bothered about the Ducks more than he has to be. I think it's kind of fitting that one of his most recent tweets had the comment "I just do my work". It was in regards to a fantasy question but it perfectly sums up Stephens's attitude toward the Ducks.

Well his job is to write for the OCRegister, so yes, he would want you to read everything he writes. As you should.

I'm not even going to say he's great at his job, although I love his writing, but the level of hate you and others have is hilarious, bordering on sad.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Glad that's settled.

Stephens is a dick. He doesn't like his job or the fans. He barely asks questions and only recently began offering even the barest insight. He sucks. You can defend him all you like, but given how willfully blind you're being, I'm going to assume you and he share the same enthusiasm for the Dodgers.

Lol he's ridiculously polite. You just have an irrational hatred for him and you need to try and justify it, hence he's a dick.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Stephens isn't an insider, he's a beat writer. Your argument against him falls flat when you want him to be something he's not.

An insider will get more inside info and break more stories but beat writers are generally quick to get on a story and occasionally break it themselves. Stephens does neither.

I do, and I do not see him being a dick to people asking questions. Look that doesn't seem like being a dick to someone asking a question about players to me.

Obviously he can't be a dick constantly but the fact that he gets as annoyed as he does is lame. He's not a dick all the time, but his annoyance is lame. Especially when you consider the questions are about the team he covers. God forbid someone want to know something about the team and think it's not a big deal to ask. If he doesn't enjoy the questions or interactions, he probably shouldn't be on Twitter

Sure, but Stephens does actually interact with the fan base and isn't a dick to everyone like people suggest. Being asked the same questions over and over again even after writing about it would get annoying to, but his rudeness to fans is MASSIVELY exaggerated.

You're ignoring that many of articles headlines have important things that aren't relevant to the title. Look at the last story. Personally I could care less about the off ice activities but the injury updates are really important to me. Some may have seen that update because they didn't care about a paintball excursion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad