Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I'm not sure why people think raging about him online is going to change anything. He's a good writer who doesn't like to say anything he doesn't have well sourced. Putting him on blast isn't going to make him
jump through hoops for anyone.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Who said I was trying to change him?
Ok then, I'm not sure what the point is about the twice weekly vent session is then. Not saying you're venting that often, but the topic seems to come up about that frequently. Having a group bash you online does not predispose you to do anything other than avoid them at best, and troll them at worst.

I don't really care, I just don't understand what people's end game is.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
He's been such a huge disappointment so far. One good game.
I don't think that is really fair to Rakell. In the first game he was given a role of Getzlaf as the top offensive option. Since then he has been paired with out 2 Shutdown wingers and asked to try to be Kesler. Since that first game we haven't given up more than 2 goals in regulation. Considering the number of goals we gave up to a team that has scored less than we have so far I think it was a concerted effort by the coaching staff to try and stem the flow of goals against and hope our depth scores enough to get some points.

Oct 18, 2011
Rakell is a winger, trying to play center and is on way over his head because the organization did nothing to improve the center position this past summer.

Reactions: mightyquack

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
He's been such a huge disappointment so far. One good game.
And why it was silly to anoint him as some great NHL center after that 1 game. I wish Anaheim would give up on trying to move their 30 goal wingers to center everytime.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Ok then, I'm not sure what the point is about the twice weekly vent session is then. Not saying you're venting that often, but the topic seems to come up about that frequently. Having a group bash you online does not predispose you to do anything other than avoid them at best, and troll them at worst.

I don't really care, I just don't understand what people's end game is.
I don't have an end game. I have an intermittent frustration and a group of people who share a similar interest. Hence, venting. I also have no desire to shit on Stephens to Stephens; too often that leads to trolling or something uglier. People follow that lead to terrible places, especially these days.

I'm just saying.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I don't think that is really fair to Rakell. In the first game he was given a role of Getzlaf as the top offensive option. Since then he has been paired with out 2 Shutdown wingers and asked to try to be Kesler. Since that first game we haven't given up more than 2 goals in regulation. Considering the number of goals we gave up to a team that has scored less than we have so far I think it was a concerted effort by the coaching staff to try and stem the flow of goals against and hope our depth scores enough to get some points.
You're probably right.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don't have an end game. I have an intermittent frustration and a group of people who share a similar interest. Hence, venting. I also have no desire to **** on Stephens to Stephens; too often that leads to trolling or something uglier. People follow that lead to terrible places, especially these days.

I'm just saying.

Like I said, I wasn't necessarily talking to you. I was just wondering why people were arguing about it for two straight days. It's not going to change anything, and it's not like what gets said here doesn't get back to him.

I understand the power of a good vent though. :thumbu:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think the only area he really deserves criticism in is that he's gone back to full puck hog mode. He's ignoring easy passes in order to try to beat 2-3 players almost every time, and is almost invariably losing the puck or putting himself into a position where the pass goes to nobody or isnoocked off.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
That is nowhere close to what you were describing, that one was obviously directed at the team, not remotely at any fans.

I never said it was towards the fans...

It was in response to the question about whether he had any interest in the sport or the team. But I’ll follow the suggestion of Ducks DVM and drop it because there’s no point complaining.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I think the only area he really deserves criticism in is that he's gone back to full puck hog mode. He's ignoring easy passes in order to try to beat 2-3 players almost every time, and is almost invariably losing the puck or putting himself into a position where the pass goes to nobody or isnoocked off.
I think he’s doing that because no one else can do anything offensively like that right now, so he ends up trying to do too much on his own.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think he’s doing that because no one else can do anything offensively like that right now, so he ends up trying to do too much on his own.
Agreed. But then he gets out there with Perry, Silfverberg, or Cogliano and keeps doing it. He's not good enough to get away with what he's trying to do against top defensive lines. Wagner, Shaw, and Grant are playing within the system and reaping rewards. He needs to do the same.

Reactions: PCDiesel
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Agreed. But then he gets out there with Perry, Silfverberg, or Cogliano and keeps doing it. He's not good enough to get away with what he's trying to do against top defensive lines. Wagner, Shaw, and Grant are playing within the system and reaping rewards. He needs to do the same.
This is true. Our system (like most systems) works when you trust it.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It’s also the case that it’s something he’s been guilty of in the past. That isn’t a habit we want him falling back into.

But I’m also of the mindset of trusting the system. First, second, and third.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So, is Grant going to stick around all year? Or is this just a case of him playing, and get some PP minutes because of injuries.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
So, is Grant going to stick around all year? Or is this just a case of him playing, and get some PP minutes because of injuries.

He's certainly playing his way to stick around all year but the PP minutes are without a doubt because of all the injuries. 4th liner at best when (if ever) everyone's healthy.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He's certainly playing his way to stick around all year but the PP minutes are without a doubt because of all the injuries. 4th liner at best when (if ever) everyone's healthy.

Yeah I figured as much. Every time I've watched Anaheim, he has stuck out at times. He had a goal overturned on him as well a few games ago or so - which was a great tip. I just wasn't sure if he would be turfed from the team once guys like Kesler and Eaves are back and push others down the lineup.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Yeah I figured as much. Every time I've watched Anaheim, he has stuck out at times. He had a goal overturned on him as well a few games ago or so - which was a great tip. I just wasn't sure if he would be turfed from the team once guys like Kesler and Eaves are back and push others down the lineup.

Honestly, with the way he's been playing, the management would be blind and silly if they sent him away. He won't be more than a 3rd/4th liner once the lineup is hale and healthy, but he's definitely playing well enough to warrant a permanent roster spot right now. I'd honestly even name him and Wagner our two best players at the moment.

Reactions: PG Canuck

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
grant should stay. he can be an effective 4th liner imo. for gods sake why cant we scratch boll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad