2017-18 roster talk: the positive perfect power of nine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He would be fine as a 4th line/energy forward with Leier and Laughton doing the heavy lifting. He has been very physical in his appearances with the Flyers and frankly that's something we need a little more of out of our forwards. Would be nice to soften some of these dmen up so they wear down at the end of games.

Try Weise on the 4th line first and then try McDonald, and I bet you'd prefer McDonald.

Not really we need good players more importantly & McDonald isn’t that. There’s a reason he’s been in the minors primarily all these years. Islanders fans hated the guy when he was last a regular in the NHL.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not really we need good players more importantly & McDonald isn’t that. There’s a reason he’s been in the minors primarily all these years.

Well, like I said, try Weise in that role and I don't think he would do as well as McDonald would..but the organization has pigeon-holed him as leader of the Phantoms and he has accepted that.

I also wouldn't mind seeing what Danick Martel could do in the middle 6 if he keeps up his hot start. Gotta see if it translates or not anyway.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The "grass is greener" syndrome.
Like Hextall hasn't seen plenty of McDonald over the years?

There are no quick fixes until the kids in the AHL grow up, and Hextall isn't shy about promoting a kid when he proves himself ready.

As far as Martel, I'm skeptical, watching him he looks like a great AHL player (remember Akeson?), but he's really small, like make Konency look full-sized small. Can't see how he wouldn't be a serious liability on defense. It took Weal four AHL seasons to get strong enough to play in the NHL and he's a lot bigger than Martel.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I don't know about you guys but isn't Voracek despite his passing get on your nerves that he can't score a goal with a clean shot? 7 games in and no goals and had the tie game on his stick and shot it wide again. I know he has a spot on the team but jesus he has to start scoring some natural touch goals sooner than later. I wouldn't trust him to score the big goal if needed even though he's paid to be that guy.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
People need to accept that Voracek is just not a shooter, ditto Giroux. They'll get 20-25 goals because theyre incredible offensive talents but expecting them to carry a load scoring the puck is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Reactions: Curufinwe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux can shoot, he's not as good as in his prime, but he has a decent shot and is starting to use it again.
Voracek can't hit the side of a barn these days, it's gone from meh to downright awful.
"Bill Blass" syndrome?

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Well, like I said, try Weise in that role and I don't think he would do as well as McDonald would..but the organization has pigeon-holed him as leader of the Phantoms and he has accepted that.

I also wouldn't mind seeing what Danick Martel could do in the middle 6 if he keeps up his hot start. Gotta see if it translates or not anyway.

I am with u on Martel reb he plays hard, is a great skater and scores 5v5. How he does not get pp Tim is Gordons misuse u cannot watch a phantoms game without noticing him. He deserves a call up at least to see what he can do.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
People need to accept that Voracek is just not a shooter, ditto Giroux. They'll get 20-25 goals because theyre incredible offensive talents but expecting them to carry a load scoring the puck is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Giroux actually does have a good shot though. His one-timer and wrist-shot are wayyyy better than Jakes.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Colin McDonald is irrelevant to the Flyers roster except that he'll need to be waived when he's healthy enough to play.

Reactions: Magua

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Colin McDonald is irrelevant to the Flyers roster except that he'll need to be waived when he's healthy enough to play.

A healthy Colin McDonald is a better fit for the 4th line than Weise if Raffl were to be moved up. He can be the energy/forecheck guy while Leier-Laughton do their thing on the puck. That's all I was saying.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I'd like to see Martel the humanitarian up as well.

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Weal-Filppula-Simmonds
Martel-Patrick-Konecny
Leier-Laughton-Raffl

I feel like Patrick would create so many breakaways with that much speed on his wings.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
If they aren't going to call anyone up:

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Weal-Filppula-Simmonds
Raffl-Patrick-Konecny
Leier-Laughton-Read

I'd be okay with that, too.

I feel like Martel has more to offer in the NHL right now. He'd flourish with a plus playmaker like Patrick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd like to see Martel the humanitarian up as well.

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Weal-Filppula-Simmonds
Martel-Patrick-Konecny
Leier-Laughton-Raffl

I feel like Patrick would create so many breakaways with that much speed on his wings.

For both teams.
And who would go get the puck on the forecheck?
Conversely, they'd get beat up in the defensive zone.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
For both teams.
And who would go get the puck on the forecheck?
Conversely, they'd get beat up in the defensive zone.

Martel and Konecny... But the draw of having speedy skilled players on the wings is to improve zone entries and move away from dump-ins. All those players are good to great at distributing the puck.

They would?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You could breath on Martel and he'd fall down, and Konecny ain't Voracek when it comes to zone entries, size does matter in certain situations, as well as a little dipsy doodle in your puck handling. Konency's favorite entry play seems to be dump the puck past the defender, try to skate past him, and hope to get an interference call. He'll learn more tricks, he's still a baby.
As Weal shows, little guys can play big, but it took him to 25 to get strong and smart enough to pull it off.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
You could breath on Martel and he'd fall down, and Konecny ain't Voracek when it comes to zone entries, size does matter in certain situations, as well as a little dipsy doodle in your puck handling. Konency's favorite entry play seems to be dump the puck past the defender, try to skate past him, and hope to get an interference call. He'll learn more tricks, he's still a baby.
As Weal shows, little guys can play big, but it took him to 25 to get strong and smart enough to pull it off.

Cool story.

Reactions: Striiker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad