2017-18 roster talk: the positive perfect power of nine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The only thing about Martel is I'm not sure how well he processes the game in terms of NHL systems work, but that's something that you'd have to actually see in the NHL.

In the meantime, all the usage they give to an AHL veteran should go to Martel, if not this season then next. He could be a point/game player with PP time. But but but Conner and Varone and Carey!

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I want to see Jake and TK swap and Weise and Raffl swap.

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Weal - Filppula - Simmonds
Raffl - Patrick - Voracek
Leier - Laughton - Weise
Looks vicious, which leads me to believe it ain't happening.
Drop Weise for Martel and you might just have fastest line in the league that could easilly stomp bottom pairings on the forecheck.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I want to see Jake and TK swap and Weise and Raffl swap.

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Weal - Filppula - Simmonds
Raffl - Patrick - Voracek
Leier - Laughton - Weise

I was ready to blow by this post, like most others as I read through the boards.

A Jake and TK swap though seems to me like it might pay off more than the current line s..worth a try IF the Flyers are losing, and line 1 is not over-compensating for lines 2 and 3 like they have so far.

Weise and Raffl swap to me is not worth it. Try the other one first.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Looks vicious, which leads me to believe it ain't happening.
Drop Weise for Martel and you might just have fastest line in the league that could easilly stomp bottom pairings on the forecheck.

I would put NAK on the 4th line over either Weise or Martel.
It is a checking line, after all.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I would put NAK on the 4th line over either Weise or Martel.
It is a checking line, after all.
Weren't you just talking about how physical Weise was the other day?

giphy.gif

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't think 30% shooting is sustainable. Bit of a flukey start.
Converting on chances or not doesn't really matter.

What matters is that he gets plenty of scoring chances, despite his size, so it really isn't much of an issue. If you're that small the only way you can make up for it is by being really fast, which is he. Guys like Akeson and Cousins weren't, which is why they couldn't translate their scoring from AHL to NHL.

I'm not even saying Martel will make the NHL, because don't think he will. I'm just saying I wouldn't dismiss him because of size.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Two years ago he might have had a shot, but the Flyers are deep enough that other than uber talents (Frost, Rubtsov, ???), most forwards will start on the 4th line and work their way up to the top 9.

Martel didn't emerge until his overage junior season, and 20 of his 48 goals that year were on the PP, so there's some question how talented he really is, his first two AHL seasons were solid, but nothing special.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Martel didn't emerge until his overage junior season, and 20 of his 48 goals that year were on the PP, so there's some question how talented he really is, his first two AHL seasons were solid, but nothing special.
Yes he was only 8th in 5v5 goals and 5th in primary 5v5 points league wide that year.

His first 2 years in the AHL were "nothing special" because he...didn't play on the powerplay. He was one of the better 5v5 scorers in the league.

Talk about contradicting yourself.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Two years ago he might have had a shot, but the Flyers are deep enough that other than uber talents (Frost, Rubtsov, ???), most forwards will start on the 4th line and work their way up to the top 9.

28 5v5 goals doesn't sound too shabby...

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Martel should get a call this season. To anyone that watched the phantoms at all, he's pretty much been the best forward for 2 seasons now. And he is not soft like akeson.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He also was 20 years old in juniors, obviously while he didn't have a physical advantage, he had a lot more experience than the younger kids he went against.

He's so small he's going to be a liability in many ways (he makes Konency look full-sized), so he has to be an elite scorer at lower levels to have a chance in the NHL. And while he's been good, it's hard to claim he's been special. Odds are stacked against him, even with his speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad