2017-18 roster talk: the positive perfect power of nine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Whoever said that whenever Martel gets called up and plays a handful of games in a poorly fit role in low minutes and no PP time before going into the ash heap is probably right.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Here's another interesting thing.
Flyers ES GF/60
With Couturier 4.76
Patrick 2.66
Laughton 1.72
Filppula 1.6

Also I think last year flyers second pp unit had 13 goals, but don't quote me on it. Well after 20 games this season they have 2. What if we have a look how team performs without our top line and top pp unit?

Flyers logged 729 minutes of PP or ES time without Couts as 1C and G quarterbacking pp. During that time flyers scored 19 goals which translates to 1.56 goals per 60. On the other hand Buffalo, league's lowest scoring team managed 20 goals in 708 of ES or PP minutes without Eichel, ie 1.69 goals per 60.

So there you have it. If we are going by the numbers Flyers depth is performing even worse than this mighty group.
dpMldN1l.png

For comparison, in Berube's last season here, when he had all of Umberger, Remaldo, Vinny and wonder twins in a lineup they scored 2.19 G/60 without G. As bad as G's numbers were last year, still flyers scored only at 2.18 rate without him. Here's flyers 6 most used d in 14/15 by their 5v5 minutes played - Streit, Schultz, MDZ, Gnome, Amac, Fat Schenn. 16/17 - Provy, Amac, Gudas, Ghost, Manbearpig, MDZ.

Could it be that Hakstok is actually worse than Berube?

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I can't wrap my head around someone preferring VdV to Leier, even dh. The latter guy isn't just a speedy skater, but he's got some offensive game even if the puck hasn't gone in for him, and more importantly he takes the play to the opposition. VdV literally just skated around the ice going to where the puck had been instead of where it was going.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Here's another interesting thing.
Flyers ES GF/60
With Couturier 4.76
Patrick 2.66
Laughton 1.72
Filppula 1.6

Also I think last year flyers second pp unit had 13 goals, but don't quote me on it. Well after 20 games this season they have 2. What if we have a look how team performs without our top line and top pp unit?

Flyers logged 729 minutes of PP or ES time without Couts as 1C and G quarterbacking pp. During that time flyers scored 19 goals which translates to 1.56 goals per 60. On the other hand Buffalo, league's lowest scoring team managed 20 goals in 708 of ES or PP minutes without Eichel, ie 1.69 goals per 60.

So there you have it. If we are going by the numbers Flyers depth is performing even worse than this mighty group.
dpMldN1l.png

For comparison, in Berube's last season here, when he had all of Umberger, Remaldo, Vinny and wonder twins in a lineup they scored 2.19 G/60 without G. As bad as G's numbers were last year, still flyers scored only at 2.18 rate without him. Here's flyers 6 most used d in 14/15 by their 5v5 minutes played - Streit, Schultz, MDZ, Gnome, Amac, Fat Schenn. 16/17 - Provy, Amac, Gudas, Ghost, Manbearpig, MDZ.

Oh there is no doubt in my mind that Hakstol is worse than Berube.

Reactions: Umphreys Mcgee

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I can't wrap my head around someone preferring VdV to Leier, even dh. The latter guy isn't just a speedy skater, but he's got some offensive game even if the puck hasn't gone in for him, and more importantly he takes the play to the opposition. VdV literally just skated around the ice going to where the puck had been instead of where it was going.

That's because like most of the idiots who post here, you miss the point.
Everyone was trashing VdV last year, now Leier is scoring worse and excuses galore.
4th line scrubs are 4th line scrubs. Leier may "look" better, but in the end you either produce or you don't.
We have to wait until the prospects are ready to replace Leier, the same way Leier replaced VdV, the same way . . .

The obession with back of the roster players is merely a way to whine about unimportant things.
Otherwise you'd have to accept the reality that they're not talented enough to be a playoff lock, they're a marginal team the way they've been for five years.
The difference is real players are in the pipeline, not another member of the scrub of the month club (Luby, Cousins, etc.).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

yeah, he should run out on the ice and shoot for Leier, Konency and everyone else blowing scoring chances.

It's funny, like I point out, everyone loves Leier over VdV, Laughton over PEB, etc., but when they don't score, it's the coach's fault?
Some things are fluky, some things are just bad breaks (Patrick getting injured after a slow start and having his progress set back a month), some things are what they are (Simmonds got dinged, Gudas got psychotic).

You think if you break up the first line, Giroux is going to be the center he was five years ago?
Problem is no matter how you juggle the lines, you still have to play Weise, Leier and Raffl.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gotta marinate ,,, plus I’m sure Hexy don’t want to admit his Weise mistake ,,, or he likes him.

Except the player Martel will replace is Leier.
How many smurfs can you play at one time?
We saw the West Coast teams pound us game after game along the boards, you want Leier, Martel, Weal on the ice at the same time?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And Leier has empty shots, I've watched him, there is no "there" there.
He's not a good passer, he doesn't have a good shot, he can't maintain possession along the boards.
While that line is snakebit to some extent, I haven't seen them generate good scoring chances either.
They scramble, they get weak shots on net, but no screens, no one putting in rebounds.
Remember Florida putting up great shot stats with bad shots? That's our fourth line. "Fake Corsi."

Point is our "bad" fourth lines were good for 15-20 ES goals a year, this line has 1 ES goal in 20 games.
At some point it stops being luck and becomes a reflection of their style of play.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Laughton needs to get bumped to 3C and Patrick to 2C. Like to see Raffl at 4C. Not sure what to do with Filppula. He's been pretty absent.

Something like:

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Filppula-Patrick-Konecny
Weise-Laughton-Simmonds
Leier-Raffl-Lehtera

(Assuming Weal is doubtful for Tuesday.)

It's striking how much better the forward group could be with a couple call-ups. Martel, Lindblom, and Vecchione would vastly improve the wings...

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Lindblom-Patrick-Konecny
Martel-Laughton-Simmonds
Leier/Filppula-Raffl-Vecchione

Patrick, Laughton, and Konency should all be getting more ice time!!

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad