2017-18 roster talk: the positive perfect power of nine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
He is turning 34 though, so he may be looking at 2-3 year deals.

We know the Flyers overvalue him, like veterans, and don't believe in assumed roster spots for young guys. Flip can play anywhere in the top 9 to them, whatever position.....can PK.....can continue to play on PP1, if need be.....now wears the 'A'.....I feel like this is being set-up to the point of almost inevitability.

He is very picky about where he plays, and he wanted to be here. He seems to like it here and be liked; this is an up and coming team. If the Flyers offer him a 2 year deal, but some other team offers him a 3 year deal at a similar price, it wouldn't blow my mind to see him choose comfort and the known over cashing out.
that would be downright stupid

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
the same way he brought back the vets who walked to FA this past summer?

The rookies will make the decision for Hextall.

Either they play well enough to make Filppula expendable, or Hextall will resign Filppula or trade for someone similar (veteran center with a couple years left on his contract).

What Hextall WON'T do is give a rookie a job he hasn't earned. Potential is a dirty word.

Reactions: Alex91

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
i will lose my shit if Filppula gets an extension. he'll be 34 this year. you don't give mediocre 34 year olds extensions. but with this organization you just never know..

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I think the odds are greater that at the trade deadline he is dealt than he is extended. We have his replacement marinating in the A in Voro. Hextall is no dummy and has his eyes on the prize. Goaltending is our biggest issue.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Filppula extension depends on 2 factors:

Oskar Lindblom
Mikhail Vorobyev

If both end up having great seasons then Flip is not getting extended.

If a team comes a long and overpays, he is also gone. We just saw this with Schenn who is like 7 years younger.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think the odds are greater that at the trade deadline he is dealt than he is extended. We have his replacement marinating in the A in Voro. Hextall is no dummy and has his eyes on the prize. Goaltending is our biggest issue.

Nice thing is that #1 goalies arent THAT hard to trade for. If we do look like contenders prior to Hart and Sandstrom being ready, and the current tandem isnt cutting it, we will have options.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Oskar Lindblom
Mikhail Vorobyev

If a team comes a long and overpays, he is also gone. We just saw this with Schenn who is like 7 years younger.

Hextall wants the kids to beat out the veterans.
He's just not going to fool himself into wishing they'll beat out the veterans.
He's got a Missouri attitude.

GirouxCouturier

GirouxMVP
Jul 4, 2010
British Columbia
Not a sure is posted already, but is anyone else thinking that filppula on 1st pp/second line/A cptn is just an attempt to boost trade value and get a more valuable asset at deadline? Kind of obvious to me, and sort of links to giroux to wing and couturier to #1C. If flip has 30-40 points at trade deadline teams will eat that up.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006

Oskar Lindblom
Mikhail Vorobyev

Laughton is the bigger factor IMO. If he maintains his current level of play, he'll be promoted to #3C.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Probably depends on what Hextall was offered for Filppula.
A 3rd and he'd laugh, a 1st and he'd think hard about it.
Also depends "when," and the progress of players in the AHL, specifically Vorobyev.

I'd have to think he'd hate to be forced to move Giroux back to center given how well that line is playing.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

You are going to have to promise me that you won't give the Pimp the Lube treatment. (Can you imagine someone wandering onto here and reading that without any context? :laugh: ) I only have so many brain cells left, head, and I need to keep them safe.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am waiting for weal to show up at striikers house with the papa johns guy

I wonder what Papa John will say when he orders "One large with pepperoni and hamster." :laugh:
cxQX62L.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Laughton is the bigger factor IMO. If he maintains his current level of play, he'll be promoted to #3C.

I don't see Laughton as a top 9 center, he's really not a playmaker or control the puck kind of guy.
He's more a Tazmanian devil with a good shot.

He's a great fit on this 4th line, but to me he'd be a LW on a 3rd line with a center who can pass him the puck in stride so he can just turn on the jets and fire away, sorta bigger version of Konency.

The Pimp, now he's the kind of center who keeps his girls happy.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad