2017-18 roster talk: the positive perfect power of nine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
But when you are deciding whether or not to offer that new contract to Simmer, you have to roll the dice one way or the other - you have to evaluate the youngsters and make a call on what you think they will be. Of course there are no guarantees, but if you wait too long, you'll just end up spinning your wheels and never get anywhere. It's not that I disagree with you necessarily, because I'm very much in favor of not trading any D (except the garbage) until we know what we have. But at some point we have to trust the guys that we are investing all this development time in, and part of that trust is in the long-term planning stage. That's how I'm seeing this, anyway.
Yeah, but moves happen all the time and it could drastically change your options. Predators surely didn't plan on trading Jones, but they received a great offer and took it. I mean did anyone in here expected Schenn to be gone? Take Weber Subban trade for example. No one would have expected such a moronic move to happen yet it did. What if we receive a sweet offer on Voracek? What if we target someone and ask is Konecny? Same way Panthers asked for Simmonds during Ekblad draft?

There is so much roster turnover in Nhl that thinking too far ahead is proving to be very difficult.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
If we're sticking with the same Center lineup, I'd prefer to go with something like this...

Giroux-Couturier-Simmonds
Weal-Filppula-Jake
Raffl-Patrick-Konecny
Leier-Laughton-Weise

I think this gives much more balance to the top 9 with a small downgrade to the 4th line, banking that the Leier/Laughts duo is the core of it.

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, but moves happen all the time and it could drastically change your options. Predators surely didn't plan on trading Jones, but they received a great offer and took it. I mean did anyone in here expected Schenn to be gone?

The timing at the draft surprised me, but people started calling him Trayden when Hakstol first took over and he was on the "5th" line at training camp and didn't start the 15-16 season on PP1.

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
Safe to say this looks like a throw away year..?

Hagg makes team over Morin, Sanheim (increase value trade?) Myers, Friedman knocking on the door

Giroux playing LW

Patrick needing an offseason to train (G and Ghost look much better a year after surgery)

Average at best goaltending.

Macdonald, Filppula playing big roles

Weise playing at all

Looks like a transition year to me where their not concerned about icing the best possible line up. Big decisions coming up regarding contacts. 2 first round picks. Many directions this team can go, lets hope for the best.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course it's a transition year, look at the flood of prospects on the doorstep.
We added 5 players this year (Leier, Laughton, Patrick, Hagg and Sanheim) to go with Provorov, Konency and Ghost.
We'll add 5-6 next year:

G - Couts - V
Lindblom - Patrick - Konency
Weal - Vorobyev - Simmonds
Leier/NAK - Laughton - Raffl/MK
Lehtera, Weise

Provorov - Gudas
Ghost - Hagg
Morin - Sanheim
Meyers - Friedman

Rubtsov, Bunnyman, Laberge, Salinitri, Twarynski (Allison? Marody? Laczynski?) in the AHL
Frost, Ratcliffe, Strome, Sushko in juniors
Kase, Hogberg, Bernhardt, Lycksell in the SHL
And 2 1st rd picks in the 2018 draft

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hagg is an everyday starter because they like his game, and how he combines with Ghost. Not cause they want to trade him. Lindblom isn't on the team because they think AHL time is better for his development than being the 3rd line LW getting 11 minutes a game which is Weise's current role.

If it's a throwaway year send down Patrick after 9 games and stop his ELC from starting.

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
Hagg is an everyday starter because they like his game, and how he combines with Ghost. Not cause they want to trade him. Lindblom isn't on the team because they think AHL time is better for his development than being the 3rd line LW getting 11 minutes a game which is Weise's current role.

If it's a throwaway year send down Patrick after 9 games and stop his ELC from starting.

I wouldn't make statements about how the front office feels about any player tbh. Also, Morin frees up Ghost much better than Hagg. If you watched the pre season the difference is night and day.

Sending Patrick down is also stupid, he has nothing to gain there. Regarding my statement of this being a 'throw away' year, let me clarify that by saying that I just mean we can easily field a much better roster, we just choose not to.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I did watch the preseason and Ghost played at least as well on his strong side with Hagg as he did with Morin.

If not icing the exact lineup you want makes it a throwaway year then every season will be a throwaway year.

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
Id venture to say if we took a poll majority would prefer Morin with Ghost over Hagg.

Yes, they may not ice the line up we all would like year after year. Problem is, they are icing the worst possible outcome and putting players in spots that make no sense, hence the 'Fire Hakstol' threads and posts that are extremely justified.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
How is it the worst possible outcome when Lehtera is benched and Read is the minors and two young kids in Laughton and Leier took their spots and are thriving?

Reactions: wufuhimself

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
Laughton and Leier took VdV and Bellemares spots.. and after extending Belly, we got lucky Vegas selected him.

Again, if we took a poll who we think should be the d man that makes the roster after pre season Hagg would have been the last pick. And last year was in every throw away trade on the main boards. Good for him playing decent.

Filppula in a shooters spot on pp#1 is worst possible outcome. Makes no sense. Imagine the production from someone who can shoot playing that prominent role. Weise is an anchor on his line so saying hes better than Read/Lehtera whatever. Lindblom hopefully will be called up sooner or later.

Ill give the team props after a hell of a night. If by Christmas/Trade DL Macdonald, Manning, & Weise are still starting then we fer sure have shot ourself in the foot as we have their replacements. Til then'

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes, because we have so many professional hockey men on this board. Obviously Hextall should fire Hakstol and make lineup decisions by polling the board.

Filppula has shown a very quick release in the slot area, which seems to be effective, sometimes it's not how hard you shoot, it's how quickly you can put the puck where the goalie can't reach it! Seems to be working so far.

Weise is a good fit on that line, Patrick is going to be a great playmaker (he may be the second best passer behind Giroux, and may pass him by the end of the year), Konency can skate and shoot, Weise does the dirty work. Lines aren't about matching the three best players, but the three players who fit together best. Weise's job is get the puck to Patrick and head to the net and set screens for Konency.

MacDonald is the only defenseman with 4 or more years of NHL experience on the roster.
Gudas 269 games going into this season
Ghost 142 games going into this season
Manning 142 games going into this season
Provorov 82 games going into this season
Hagg, Sanheim

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Filppula seems to be doing well on PP1. He certainly has a good enough shot to be there. I have much more of a problem with him as 2C.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
His goal last night was on 5v5 and it was a nice completion. Weal was the man on it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Filppula had 35 ES points last year, and he seems to be playing as well or better so far this year. What exactly is the problem with him as the #2, especially since we're not top heavy like the Caps and role four solid lines?

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Of course it's a transition year, look at the flood of prospects on the doorstep.
We added 5 players this year (Leier, Laughton, Patrick, Hagg and Sanheim) to go with Provorov, Konency and Ghost.
We'll add 5-6 next year:

G - Couts - V
Lindblom - Patrick - Konency
Weal - Vorobyev - Simmonds
Leier/NAK - Laughton - Raffl/MK
Lehtera, Weise

Provorov - Gudas
Ghost - Hagg
Morin - Sanheim
Meyers - Friedman

Rubtsov, Bunnyman, Laberge, Salinitri, Twarynski (Allison? Marody? Laczynski?) in the AHL
Frost, Ratcliffe, Strome, Sushko in juniors
Kase, Hogberg, Bernhardt, Lycksell in the SHL
And 2 1st rd picks in the 2018 draft

I like the look of that line up. Next year will be a big development year too because we need the next set of young prospects to be prepared to take major roles in 2019 when we have a lot of FA. We won't let everyone walk, but having guys ready will be huge.

Rubstov replace Weal
Lindblom to replace Simmonds role
Bunny or Allison then replace Lindblom
NAK or MV replace Raffl
Leier and Hagg resigned in 2018 as RFA
Laughton, Konecny, Provy, Sanheim signed
Morin to replace Gudas role
Gudas traded for $$$ savings
Myers or Friedman replace Morin
Amac bought out/traded at 50%/stashed
Add a goalie (doubt Hart/Felix are ready)
Have a home grown back up goalie

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Filppula had 35 ES points last year, and he seems to be playing as well or better so far this year. What exactly is the problem with him as the #2, especially since we're not top heavy like the Caps and role four solid lines?

He simply isn't a top 6 caliber C. Not enough offensive/defensive ability. I think the Flyers can get away with it since they have good to great wingers in the top 6, but ideally Filppula wouldn't play 2C.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic

There is actually no problem with him... most people don't like him only because he's 33 years old and has $5M cap hit. He's a solid, good ES player who's capable of playing in the top 6, but preferably at this point used more for 3th line. I am glad that Hextall traded for him last year and that he's on the Flyers, it's good to have efficient veteran like Filppula in the line-up, who can still contribute and has plenty of play-off experience.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
On that goal that every blamed Manning, it looked like Filppula was the one in no man's land and there was a trickle down effect.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There is actually no problem with him... most people don't like him only because he's 33 years old and has $5M cap hit. He's a solid, good ES player who's capable of playing in the top 6, but preferably at this point used more for 3th line. I am glad that Hextall traded for him last year and that he's on the Flyers, it's good to have efficient veteran like Filppula in the line-up, who can still contribute and has plenty of play-off experience.

2LW would be fine. Hes just not a good 2C at this point.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
On that goal that every blamed Manning, it looked like Filppula was the one in no man's land and there was a trickle down effect.

Manning stepped up into the middle in the neutral zone to make a play on the puck. Not sure how Filppula caused that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad