2017-18 roster talk: the positive perfect power of nine

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I actually think Filppula had a pretty good game last night. His line hasn't been very noticeable so far this season, but at least the 3 are producing on the PP. In fact, they're the only players with a PPG so far.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
by xmas, we need to make a trade or waive some guys. No need to keep morin and Lindbolm down too long, I'm fine with some seasoning but they aren't Weal, they don't need 4 years. But I'm happy with how we are looking right now but can be better with Lindbolm taking Weises spot and morin for Amac

Reactions: Peacekeeper

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Laughton and Leier took VdV and Bellemares spots.. and after extending Belly, we got lucky Vegas selected him.

Again, if we took a poll who we think should be the d man that makes the roster after pre season Hagg would have been the last pick. And last year was in every throw away trade on the main boards. Good for him playing decent.

They demoted Read to make room for Leier on the roster and on the 4th line.

Hagg is actually playing damn well. You keep threatening to do polls without actually doing them. :laugh:

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Filppula had 35 ES points last year, and he seems to be playing as well or better so far this year. What exactly is the problem with him as the #2, especially since we're not top heavy like the Caps and role four solid lines?

I would prefer to flip him and Giroux, but if the 1st line remains dominant then I can accept the current top 6 as it is.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg is actually playing damn well. You keep threatening to do polls without actually doing them. :laugh:

Hagg is just fine, he's big, good speed for his size, decent shot, decent passer, willing to hit and he can play both sides. He may not be a future star, but he's looking like he has the potential to become a solid top 4 defenseman.

And he's a good fit for Ghost, he's become defensively responsible but is fast enough to maintain good spacing (i.e. when Ghost charges up the ice he isn't trailing so much he's out of the play ).

What's not to like. :huh:

Reactions: CowboyDan

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
They demoted Read to make room for Leier on the roster and on the 4th line.

Im not threatening to do polls. Its common sense Hagg was least wanted on the team. Glad hes playing quietly well.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Polls are stupid, fans like players for reasons that have nothing to do with winning games (highlight goals, they look fast, they skate with style, etc.)

Hextall will make moves when he feels a player is ready and an opportunity presents itself to open a spot. He's not going to do it to make anyone on this board happy. He gets coaching reports, film, has scouts who watch his prospects, etc.

Lindblom and Morin will come up when Hextall thinks they're ready to start.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Manning stepped up into the middle in the neutral zone to make a play on the puck. Not sure how Filppula caused that.
Because Filppula decided to mark a skater that Gudas was already covering which left Oshie (the man Manning stepped up on) open for a pass.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There's a lot of talk about LA wanting a top 6 or top 9 forward.

If LA isn't on Flip's NTC list, maybe Hextall could send him there for a decent return.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I think it's extremely encouraging that we're rolling 4 good lines, and I like all of them. Our PK is looking good and our PP is getting some real quality chances. I haven't found myself telling anyone to shoot the puck on the PP in these past few games.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Any indication Hextall is going to make a call up for the open roster spot? He usually likes to have a full 23 man roster or is he waiting for the next road trip

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Carrying only 22 players helps with the salary cap at the trade deadline and at the end of the year, so I don't expect him to call someone up unless injuries demand it. Even if Simmonds couldn't play tomorrow, they could just insert Lehtera.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not like they can't bring in a guy on a moment's notice, it's all of a 2 hour car ride with traffic.
The road is a different matter.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There's a lot of talk about LA wanting a top 6 or top 9 forward.

If LA isn't on Flip's NTC list, maybe Hextall could send him there for a decent return.

You know that won't happen though. It would cause them to shuffle Giroux back to center, and they are quite content with the 4 centers as is, and it also re-opens the PP1 hole that they think Flip is filling. I just really find it difficult to see him being traded. I'd be less shocked if they re-signed him than traded him.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Their is a better chance of Flippula receiving a extension then being traded before Xmas

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Probably depends on what Hextall was offered for Filppula.
A 3rd and he'd laugh, a 1st and he'd think hard about it.
Also depends "when," and the progress of players in the AHL, specifically Vorobyev.

I'd have to think he'd hate to be forced to move Giroux back to center given how well that line is playing.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You know that won't happen though. It would cause them to shuffle Giroux back to center, and they are quite content with the 4 centers as is, and it also re-opens the PP1 hole that they think Flip is filling. I just really find it difficult to see him being traded. I'd be less shocked if they re-signed him than traded him.

It won't happen unless they were ready to make Patrick the 2C and then use Lehtera as the 3C where the 3rd line is a sheltered scoring line.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Their is a better chance of Flippula receiving a extension then being traded before Xmas

I might be tempting fate, but I think Filppula is going to be looking for a 3 or 4 year extension and so I don't expect him to re-sign here. As always, we can only make educated guesses at how Hextall really feels.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It won't happen unless they were ready to make Patrick the 2C and then use Lehtera as the 3C where the 3rd line is a sheltered scoring line.

I don't know if Lehtera can skate well enough to play any role on this team, much less center.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe he can't, but I don't think he's going to play zero games this season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe he can't, but I don't think he's going to play zero games this season.

One can hope.
Not that I'm complaining, we had the cap room and he helped garner a 2nd 1st rd pick in a deep draft.
I was just surprised to see how slow he was in pre-season, Umberger on his last legs slow, Vinnie doing his worst Jagr imitation slow.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I might be tempting fate, but I think Filppula is going to be looking for a 3 or 4 year extension and so I don't expect him to re-sign here. As always, we can only make educated guesses at how Hextall really feels.

He is turning 34 though, so he may be looking at 2-3 year deals.

We know the Flyers overvalue him, like veterans, and don't believe in assumed roster spots for young guys. Flip can play anywhere in the top 9 to them, whatever position.....can PK.....can continue to play on PP1, if need be.....now wears the 'A'.....I feel like this is being set-up to the point of almost inevitability.

He is very picky about where he plays, and he wanted to be here. He seems to like it here and be liked; this is an up and coming team. If the Flyers offer him a 2 year deal, but some other team offers him a 3 year deal at a similar price, it wouldn't blow my mind to see him choose comfort and the known over cashing out.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A two year deal at a reasonable price could make sense, depending on the progress of the young centers in the organization.

If Hextall feels Vorobyev could use another year of seasoning, and that Rubtsov and Frost were 2-3 years away, Filppula could make sense on a bridge deal that wouldn't impact the cap when he has to extend his young stars. He has a three year window where he can spend money (Filppula and Read off the books this summer, Lehtera, next summer, MacDonald in 3 years) without being pushed up against the cap - though it also depends on what he wants to do with Simmonds (but a raise would only be a couple million, it is the length of a new deal that could be problematic).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He is turning 34 though, so he may be looking at 2-3 year deals.

We know the Flyers overvalue him, like veterans, and don't believe in assumed roster spots for young guys. Flip can play anywhere in the top 9 to them, whatever position.....can PK.....can continue to play on PP1, if need be.....now wears the 'A'.....I feel like this is being set-up to the point of almost inevitability.

He is very picky about where he plays, and he wanted to be here. He seems to like it here and be liked; this is an up and coming team. If the Flyers offer him a 2 year deal, but some other team offers him a 3 year deal at a similar price, it wouldn't blow my mind to see him choose comfort and the known over cashing out.

Holland will offer him 4 years. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad