2017-18 AHL Affiliate: San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
I'm as mystified as everyone else. There was mention of the Gulls taking some exception to a hit that another Gull took along the bench earlier in the period, but by the time I started really listening, all that I could make out was that there was a melee and that Bickel went full barbarian in the bad way. This is what I don't like about him - he doesn't stay within the bounds of an enforcer, and turns into a thug on the ice when the switch in his brain flips. Most of the time, he's fine, but when he goes berserker, he hurts his own team as well as anyone in his way on the ice.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
And the triple game misconduct broke down as follows: one for being the aggressor (his opponent was not given a fighting major, as he did not return the punches even before the assault continued when he was face down on the ice), one for a secondary altercation (Sabourin was the initial fight on the play), and one for his second fighting major in a game (that's an automatic gamer in the AHL as the rules currently stand).

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
According to Elsten, tonight's game in San Antonio is being called very differently -- 9 minors called between the two teams in the first 21 minutes of game play... despite the face that the refs tonight are the same ones that let things get out of hand by calling very few minors last night in Cedar Park. The Gulls are managing to deal with the situation, however, and held a 5-1 lead in the second intermission... which surprises me, as the Rampage were 6-1 coming into tonight's match.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
According to Elsten, tonight's game in San Antonio is being called very differently -- 9 minors called between the two teams in the first 21 minutes of game play... despite the face that the refs tonight are the same ones that let things get out of hand by calling very few minors last night in Cedar Park. The Gulls are managing to deal with the situation, however, and held a 5-1 lead in the second intermission... which surprises me, as the Rampage were 6-1 coming into tonight's match.
Bickel and Liambas are both sitting which probably helps

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

San Antonio is a lot better team this year. They're icing the "usual" Colorado guys, plus STL has been loaning some of their players there as well -- Jordan Schmaltz, Samuel Blais, Klim Kostin and Tage Thompson were all in the Rampage lineup tonight. That's three first rounders and a guy, who had 26 goals and 43 points in the AHL last year. That lineup is no joke, and the fact that the Gulls were able to win the game tonight is encouraging, even though they almost fell apart in the third period (0 SOG).

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It's like if Jack Edwards had an illegitimate son who was rebelling against everything his father stood for except being an ultra-homer.

Some facts would still be nice, but waaaay too much "think of the children" going on there.

Reactions: mightyquack

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'm as mystified as everyone else. There was mention of the Gulls taking some exception to a hit that another Gull took along the bench earlier in the period, but by the time I started really listening, all that I could make out was that there was a melee and that Bickel went full barbarian in the bad way. This is what I don't like about him - he doesn't stay within the bounds of an enforcer, and turns into a thug on the ice when the switch in his brain flips. Most of the time, he's fine, but when he goes berserker, he hurts his own team as well as anyone in his way on the ice.

I get what you're saying and while I agree somewhat, I absolutely think it's vital for an enforcer to have that "I'll f*** someone up regardless of the rules" mentality. Give me that 24978292769592465 times over Boll. Teams don't fear retaliation from Boll. I've said for years here, but the best piece of enforcing in Ducks history was Todd Fedoruk's dirty play against Nedved. It's been years so can't remember exactly what lead to it, but all I remember was Fedoruk's comments after the game. Something along the lines of "teams are going to learn that if you take liberties with our stars, we're going to make yours pay even worse".

Now obviously that type of play is subjective. You don't want some goon going ape shit for little or no reason, but IMO, this is how you deter players from getting reckless with your stars. Not dressing 4 minute Boll who says "good fight" to another enforcer as his way to "send a message".

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Gulls beat Ontario in SO, result 4-3.

Berra had a pretty good debut, stopped 38 out of 41. Last night, Irving stopped 41 out of 42, so the goaltending has really stepped up for the Gulls. I wonder what they'll do with Boyle -- his season start has been pretty rough, he's basically the third string guy in San Diego ATM.

Roy added 3 assists tonight, has 4 goals and 11 points in 10 games. If he keeps that up, his call-up is only a matter of time IMO.

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Get Roy to Anaheim for the love of God. We have Jared f***ing Boll and Logan Shaw playing over a guy who can create offense and make plays on the PP. He reminds me of Ray Whitney

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Gulls lose to Reign 1-0. Highlights here.
There were no highlights. The best description of that game was "gross" - a goal because of a 5-on-3, and just sloppy disgusting play by both teams throughout. Yes, Irving had an amazing number of saves -- that said, I think that number went so high partially because there were several sequences when he just couldn't control the puck with the first save, and had to make three instead. It was one of the least satisfying games I've ever been to - the STHs to our right left before it was over because they just couldn't bear to watch.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
So, Ducks game tonight, injuries, Gibson pulled for concussion protocol, Gulls game tomorrow night at home.
Waiting for Roy AND Berra to be called up in 3... 2... 1...

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
So, Ducks game tonight, injuries, Gibson pulled for concussion protocol, Gulls game tomorrow night at home.
Waiting for Roy AND Berra to be called up in 3... 2... 1...

What does this mean? Didn't they waive him?

It's no secret that Toronto is acrively trying to rid themselves of Fehr, who has a $2 million cap hit. Given our injury situation, it makes sense for them to loan him here, as they weren't playing him anyway. Plus if he does well, Bob might become interested in taking that contract off their hands.

For us, the move opens up the possibility of re-calling someone from San Diego, without dealing that massive a blow to the center depth. We're basically getting something for nothing here, at least for the time being.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad