2017-18 AHL Affiliate: San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It's no secret that Toronto is acrively trying to rid themselves of Fehr, who has a $2 million cap hit. Given our injury situation, it makes sense for them to loan him here, as they weren't playing him anyway. Plus if he does well, Bob might become interested in taking that contract off their hands.

For us, the move opens up the possibility of re-calling someone from San Diego, without dealing that massive a blow to the center depth. We're basically getting something for nothing here, at least for the time being.

Now if only we could figure out how to get our chicks for free. :wg:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I'm not seeing that on the AHL transactions or Gulls or Ducks twitter -- am I missing somewhere to look? (Genuinely asking - I'm always up for knowing more information channels)

Yeah, as duxfan1101 already posted, Eric Stephens is Anaheim's main beat writer.

Now if only we could figure out how to get our chicks for free. :wg:

That ain't workin', and you know it.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
For some reason, I was always under the impression that Larsson was a left-handed shot because we keep slotting him in on the left in prospective lineups. :laugh:

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Stars hand the Gulls a 6-2 beating, highlights here.
Another brutal game by the Gulls, who just were completely outplayed by the Stars. 7 shots in the first, 4 in the second... just absolutely no team chemistry at all, and a team that despite scoring in the 3rd, still looked like they had pretty much given up before the 2nd was over. This lineup is going to need a lot of time together to get the plays working... or just won't be that good, which is my fear. Not a whole lot of positive to mention, other than Welinski's blue-line cannon shot for the first goal - but by then it was already too little, too late. I know last year's Gulls also started slow and ended up 2nd in the division, but I'm not counting on a similar mid-season miracle this year - it could be a long season for Gulls fans.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Gulls lose to Stockton 6-3, highlights here. They're rapidly falling to the bottom of AHL Pacific (currently 6th out of 8), they seem to be bleeding goals against.

I would have thought Irving would be the one to get the call, to give Boyle reliable starts for his development down here.

We believe that Irving is signed to an AHL-only deal. CapFriendly doesn't show him in Anaheim's contract list...

Reactions: HansH

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Stockton just flat-out beat the Gulls last night. The Gulls did at least have stretches of competence and hope where it looked like they could make it a contest, but they could never sustain those stretches -- but at least it was better than Wednesday night's disaster.

Glass's reputation as a troublemaker was slightly on display last night, but the Stockton player who really stood out in a negative way to me was Lomberg - he should have been thrown out of the game for attempting to start things as the players were skating to the locker rooms after the first period, and kept running his mouth but failing to back it up all night. He did finally get sent to the bin for a minor late for "head contact" -- this guy has zero of my respect.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Another quite disappointing performance by the Gulls last night against Ontario, including a mind-blowing second period in which, despite having a power play at one point, the Gulls managed a total of ZERO shots on goal for the period. That's right, they were outshot 16-0 in a period. It was so disheartening for the fans that early in the third, when a PK clearing pass ended up going all the way to the Ontario net, registering as a technical SOG, the arena erupted in sarcastic cheering and applause. Melindy and Sideroff weren't dressed, replaced with Larsson and Bickel -- and that didn't help. This team is in trouble at the current stretch. There are completely understandable reasons - so many of their leaders and top talent are either "in Anaheim or on the trainer's table", as Elsten put it. But it's still frustrating to see an entire period without a SOG.

One player who caught my specific negative attention in amongst a sea of disappointment this weekend was Petersson - lots of times he could have been called for penalties on the weekend, without any real positive play to balance it out... stick fouls, marginal play, etc. Not even "tough, physical play", but fouls resulting from laziness, IMO. He's got a lot of improvement to do to step up as a positive part of the team.

Reactions: Doothpick and Opak

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
After a 3 point night Welinski has 14p in 14 games. But also dropped to -10.

Can someone who has seen the Gulls give some insight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->