2017-18 AHL Affiliate: San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I'm not even numb about this outcome, I'm just hollow, empty. I left the last home game on Wednesday pretty sure there would be at least one playoff game to say goodbye to the other season ticket holders around me, to hold hope for a championship during, to ease the transition to summer and baseball... but it was not to be.

The loss of Rasmussen, Boll, Fehr, and White near the trade deadline was something the team could never quite recover from. Losing six of seven to end the season didn't help.

The New Year's Eve game in San Antonio in which the Gulls led 1-0 from late in the first until late in the third... then gave up an extra-attacker goal with 92 seconds left, and another even-strength goal with 0.2 seconds left, to turn a victory into a point, into zero points -- that's the backbreaker. Any point in any game would have altered the season's final outcome, but those two goals in 91.8 seconds... like Elsten, I keep coming back to that short stretch as the critical "what if".

So, that does it for the Gulls, and probably for me this season, until the schedule comes out this summer. Peace.

Out.

The losses of Pettersson and Welinski late into the season didn't help either.

Thanks for the reports, Hans. They're very much appreciated.

Reactions: HansH and Masch78

Bee

Jun 3, 2015
Thank you for the reports, Hans. This helped to keep up with the Gulls, since I wasn't able to make it to SD this season.

Reactions: HansH

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'm not even numb about this outcome, I'm just hollow, empty. I left the last home game on Wednesday pretty sure there would be at least one playoff game to say goodbye to the other season ticket holders around me, to hold hope for a championship during, to ease the transition to summer and baseball... but it was not to be.

we feel you. pretty much how I felt after most of the Duck games this season. Especially the first two playoff games. That feeling of "it's over" is hard to stomach though.

The loss of Rasmussen, Boll, Fehr, and White near the trade deadline was something the team could never quite recover from. Losing six of seven to end the season didn't help.

Yep. A few of us mentioned it in the deadline thread, but Murray didn't just f*** up the Ducks' deadline, but completely missed the ball for the Gulls too. Can't lose those type of veterans and not do anything at the deadline.

The New Year's Eve game in San Antonio in which the Gulls led 1-0 from late in the first until late in the third... then gave up an extra-attacker goal with 92 seconds left, and another even-strength goal with 0.2 seconds left, to turn a victory into a point, into zero points -- that's the backbreaker. Any point in any game would have altered the season's final outcome, but those two goals in 91.8 seconds... like Elsten, I keep coming back to that short stretch as the critical "what if".

So, that does it for the Gulls, and probably for me this season, until the schedule comes out this summer. Peace.

Out.

As others have said, thanks for all the reports. It's sincerely appreciated.

Reactions: HansH

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Hazy and Ahlers would have to smoke crystal meth in the booth to get fired.

I've heard from people close to ownership that they're beloved

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Hazy and Ahlers would have to smoke crystal meth in the booth to get fired.

I've heard from people close to ownership that they're beloved
Oh, I don't doubt that for a minute. The longer they're here the less interested they seem in actually being broadcasters rather than bullshitting buddies. It's obvious they have job security.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'll admit I've never heard Elsten, but unless Bob's sending Johnny and Hazy down, he should have started with those bozos here first.

Edit: I'd like to hear Hans' take on this. Paging Hans, paging Hans.
@HansH

The hero we do not deserve, but the one we need right now

As from my POV, Elsten was very involved, so it is a bit of a shocker to me.

Reactions: Johnny Caravella

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
A thought to ponder, since LA Kings are the dominant team (lets be real) in LA market,why not NHL just give San Diego market solely to the Ducks?

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Elsten was an absolute soldier for the Gulls. Whether it was PBP (TV/radio), interviews or producing content for the fans, the guy did it all. I believe that at least a part of the popularity that the Gulls have today (see this) can be credited directly to him, as he did a lot of work to drum up interest in the team. Absolutely shocked to see him leave. And as always, our organization's PR department is staying quiet about all of this, not a peep has been released as to why they chose to cut Elsten loose. Gulls' President of Business Ari Segal tweeted this, but still doesn't explain WHY the change was made... :shakehead

Now, if I had to make a guess (which is what we ALWAYS do with this ****ing organization), I'd say that the change was made, because FOX wants to bring in their own guy to do PBP. As we know from Elsten's tweets, the Gulls didn't renew his contract, so the timing would make sense...

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I hope that this Eakins extension doesn't mean that the Ducks are looking at him as RC's successor. Eakins was a disaster in Edmonton.
Edmonton was shit until McDavid showed up

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
In all recent history, Edmonton is a disaster always.......
Although, they should rebound this next season imo

As we moonwalk down the standings

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
And Eakins was still the worst coach they had during that time. That says something about his abilities as an NHL coach.

Probably not a whole lot, a coaches first job often doesn't tell you a whole lot. This year's Jack Adams nominees are a pretty good example of that, but just in general rookie coaches tend to make rookie mistakes that they later learn from.

As for being the successor, I dunno, I've long wondered if there was some kind of succession plan and it does make sense, but I'm not sure this extension is any kind of indicator of anything. It's not like they wouldn't make this move if he wasn't their coach in waiting, and if anything the timing might suggest otherwise.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Probably not a whole lot, a coaches first job often doesn't tell you a whole lot. This year's Jack Adams nominees are a pretty good example of that, but just in general rookie coaches tend to make rookie mistakes that they later learn from.

As for being the successor, I dunno, I've long wondered if there was some kind of succession plan and it does make sense, but I'm not sure this extension is any kind of indicator of anything. It's not like they wouldn't make this move if he wasn't their coach in waiting, and if anything the timing might suggest otherwise.
It wasn't just his coaching. It was his personality too. That doesn't change.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Eakins was a pretty big prospect coach coming up, and he's still fairly young.

Don't get me wrong, he's far from my first choice, but it wouldn't be the worst thing if he took over. As long as he's capable of learning from his mistakes (and the jury is of course still out on that one), I don't think we'd be walking into the same disaster that Edmonton fell into with him.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Serious question for watchers of San Diego

Has the use and development of our prospects improved under Eakins in your opinions??
Kase has been amazing, Montour, etc
But our forwards seem.......would love to see the young guns jump up and push

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Eakins was a pretty big prospect coach coming up, and he's still fairly young.

Don't get me wrong, he's far from my first choice, but it wouldn't be the worst thing if he took over. As long as he's capable of learning from his mistakes (and the jury is of course still out on that one), I don't think we'd be walking into the same disaster that Edmonton fell into with him.

Being a big time prospect probably played a huge role in his failure in Edmonton too. Most coaches aren't hyped a whole lot, and among the few that are, he easily was the most hyped hire I've ever seen, at least among rookies (Babcock to the Leafs is the only comparable I can even think of). There's no way thats healthy for anyone.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Assistant coach Marty Wilford was promoted to the Ducks, presumably to take over Yawney's old job.

Wilford has been a part of the organization since 2011, when the Ducks were affiliated with Syracuse. Bob gave him a lot of credit for being "instrumental" in developing our young defensemen.

Reactions: Duck Off
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->