2017-18 AHL Affiliate: San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
The schedule is out, signings are being made, players are being lost (thanks for the help, Jhonas!)... I think it's about time to turn the page on the 2016-17 Gulls, and start talking about the 2017-18 version of the squad.

To start, a direct link to the Gulls' schedule: http://theahl.com/stats/schedule/404/57/all-months/homeaway?league=4

One bit of analysis -- this season, the Gulls finish the year with three games in four days, all against Tucson. Their final home game will be against the Roadrunners on Wednesday, 4/11, and their final two road games will be Friday and Saturday the 13th and 14th in Tucson. It's not impossible that this might end up like this last season, and be a preview of a first-round playoff matchup, but that is getting WAY ahead of the game, since most teams' contours really aren't clear yet.

Let's start another quest for the Calder!

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
The schedule is out, signings are being made, players are being lost (thanks for the help, Jhonas!)... I think it's about time to turn the page on the 2016-17 Gulls, and start talking about the 2017-18 version of the squad.

To start, a direct link to the Gulls' schedule: http://theahl.com/stats/schedule/404/57/all-months/homeaway?league=4

One bit of analysis -- this season, the Gulls finish the year with three games in four days, all against Tucson. Their final home game will be against the Roadrunners on Wednesday, 4/11, and their final two road games will be Friday and Saturday the 13th and 14th in Tucson. It's not impossible that this might end up like this last season, and be a preview of a first-round playoff matchup, but that is getting WAY ahead of the game, since most teams' contours really aren't clear yet.

Let's start another quest for the Calder!

would appear that we still need to sign some players for SD, right?

Curious to see if any of these "fringe" guys are for SD. We have quite the plethora of 4th liners. Grant and/or Shaw seem like guys that may end up in SD. although Grant does seem like the Troy Bodie type of player that Carlyle likes to keep in the lineup.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
would appear that we still need to sign some players for SD, right?

Some, yes - however, if you look at what we thought the 2016-17 lines would look like at this time last year, and compare them to what actually took the ice in October, then compare them again to what was available in March... I think it's WAY too early to really have a feel for what the season is going to look like. So, I'm in perpetual minor-league hope mode -- hoping for the best, but not _expecting_ anything specific :)

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Doing a quick review of Cap Friendly, the Ducks are listed with 14 forwards and there are an additional 14, not including "slides" in the minor league system. Some of those players may move up and down, and there are injuries, but it looks like one or two AHL signings should do it for the forwards for the Gulls. Defensemen are a different matter. CF shows six on the Ducks and 7 in the minor league system (including Montour). Given the injuries that the Ducks have I expect at least two of the 7 in the minor league system to be on the Ducks, leaving the Gulls short of defensemen. I expect some AHL signings for those slots.

In my memory, many of the AHL signings for the Ducks occur in August and even September. So we need to just sit and wait.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
It's very early, but this is the current roster situation. We'll see how the Ducks decide to handle the absences of Kesler/Lindholm/Vatanen, but the consensus ATM seems to be that Megna, Larsson and at least one of the Gulls' forwards will start the year in Anaheim (*).

Grant* - Carrick* - Tropp
Roy* - Kossila* - Kerdiles*
Fiore - Nättinen - Sideroff
Dostie - Hults - Sabourin
Saar

Megna* - Oleksy
Larsson* - Welinski
Thompson - Pettersson
Liambas

Berra - Boyle
Tokarski

There hasn't been official confirmation, but Eliteprospects claims that Tyler Soy will return to Victoria (WHL) for an overage season.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Tyler Morley also leaves NA, heads to Croatia. Medvescak Zagreb left the KHL, will play in EBEL (Austrian league) next season.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Mike Liambas

1 year 2-way

13-14 267 PIM in 60 games
14-15 158 PIM in 54 games
15-16 188 PIM in 44 games
16-17 149 PIM in 72 games

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Mike Liambas

1 year 2-way

13-14 267 PIM in 60 games
14-15 158 PIM in 54 games
15-16 188 PIM in 44 games
16-17 149 PIM in 72 games

that's a lot of PMs for someone his size. NHL.com has him at 5'10 - 203. Not small, but with those PMs, I was expecting to see a bigger, enforcer type.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
http://www.sandiegogulls.com/samuelsthomas_072517/

Great news for the Gulls -- like I've said, I don't think JST has the toolbox for the NHL, but he is a scrapper and a terrier at the AHL level. The Gulls' winning turnaround after a slow start to last season started right about the time he was signed to last year's team. I really like him, and am glad to have two more years with him in the orange.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
http://www.sandiegogulls.com/samuelsthomas_072517/

Great news for the Gulls -- like I've said, I don't think JST has the toolbox for the NHL, but he is a scrapper and a terrier at the AHL level. The Gulls' winning turnaround after a slow start to last season started right about the time he was signed to last year's team. I really like him, and am glad to have two more years with him in the orange.

Good to hear that JST returns.

One has to think that the roster is only a few signings away from being complete. A couple of defensemen and a couple of (depth) forwards should do the trick, IMO. The exact number depends on what the Ducks plan on doing, of course.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Schultz back too. Makes sense given how many young guys are around, but we definitely have a lot of defensemen on between Anaheim and San Diego. Maybe they're really not expecting Larsson or Megna to be in San Diego a whole lot.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Schultz back too. Makes sense given how many young guys are around, but we definitely have a lot of defensemen on between Anaheim and San Diego. Maybe they're really not expecting Larsson or Megna to be in San Diego a whole lot.

Well, there's the first D signing. That was fast... :laugh:

IMO they have to be prepared for the scenario, where both Megna and Larsson start with the Ducks. It'd be inexcusable to end up in a situation, where San Diego has to start the season with a limited D group, just because the Ducks called up their entire LD depth...

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Gulls sign Bickel and Melindy to one-year contracts, link here. The depth chart on D is rounding up nicely:

"Megna" - Oleksy
"Larsson" - Welinski
Thompson - Pettersson
Schultz - Melindy

One more depth signing on D and they're good to go, IMO.

Last edited:

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Schultz-Welinski
Pettersson-Oleksey
Thompson-X
Melindy

Larsson will come back down when Lindholm is back. Megna might not, he has to clear waivers. Also Bickel is a foward now.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Schultz-Welinski
Pettersson-Oleksey
Thompson-X
Melindy

Larsson will come back down when Lindholm is back. Megna might not, he has to clear waivers. Also Bickel is a foward now.

For some reason, I somehow completely forgot Oleksy and put Bickel in there. That's a major blunder on my part.

Nevertheless, the point still stands -- the Gulls could use one more D to start the season, preferably on the left side. I believe Pettersson mostly played RD in Sweden, even though he's LHD?

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I didn't even want to post the video, figured it's easy enough to find on YouTube, but it makes me feel sick to my stomach.

My hope is that this guy has cleaned up his game, but the penalty totals make me believe he hasn't.

The sad thing is that Liambas likely wouldn't be getting an AHL contract, if he had cleaned up his game. We know what his role is, much like we knew why McGrattan was brought in. He is what he is, hopefully they keep his ice time to a minimum.

There has always been a demand for physicality and fighting in the AHL. It's the reason why grade A savages like Tom Sestito, PL3 and Zack Stortini keep on finding AHL jobs year after year. Our organization is no different, some of our players aren't exactly saints either.

On an unrelated matter, the Gulls have signed Brian Cooper, Greger Hanson and Kyle Thomas to 1-year AHL deals. Cooper's return rounds up the D group nicely, the other guys are probably just cheap depth players.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The sad thing is that Liambas likely wouldn't be getting an AHL contract, if he had cleaned up his game. We know what his role is, much like we knew why McGrattan was brought in. He is what he is, hopefully they keep his ice time to a minimum.

There has always been a demand for physicality and fighting in the AHL. It's the reason why grade A savages like Tom Sestito, PL3 and Zack Stortini keep on finding AHL jobs year after year. Our organization is no different, some of our players aren't exactly saints either.

On an unrelated matter, the Gulls have signed Brian Cooper, Greger Hanson and Kyle Thomas to 1-year AHL deals. Cooper's return rounds up the D group nicely, the other guys are probably just cheap depth players.

The fighting and physicality part I'm fine with, even enjoy it...but the predatory hits are what I take issue with.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The fighting and physicality part I'm fine with, even enjoy it...but the predatory hits are what I take issue with.

I assume it's being done as an actual deterrent because of the play of the Reign the last few years. There's been some exceptionally dirty play from them. Since proper enforcers didn't seem to do it, they got their own nuclear deterrent.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Kings organisation: We are the modern era Broad Street Bullies hurr durr
Bob Murray/Ferguson: Hold my beer

Before this guy we also took 3 of 4 top PIM guys in the AHL or something :laugh: That`s some heavy roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad