2017-18 AHL Affiliate: San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com.../sd-sp-acee-lacrosse-nll-tsai-0830-story.html

Slightly off topic, but a billionaire (2nd-largest shareholder in Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba) has landed a National Lacrosse League team for San Diego starting in November 2018. This article says they'll play at the same arena that the Gulls play at. As far as I'm able to tell, the NLL season is 9 home games, and all games are played on either Friday or Saturday -- meaning 9 prime dates stolen away from the Gulls starting in the 2018-19 season.

The even larger possibilities are the rumors that the owner has acquired land for a new arena in the East Village (downtown, near Petco Park). This has lead to breathy speculation that an NBA team may be the long-term goal of this play... we'll have to see how and whether this affects the Gulls and the VVCC.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Here is what our AHL depth looks like at the moment, am I missing anyone?

C: Kossila*, Hults, Carrick*, Nattinen, Fiore (unsure if C or RW)
LW: Dostie, Roy, Liambas, Kerdiles*, Hanson, Samuels-Thomas
RW: Sideroff, Ortega, Tropp, Sabourin, Bickel, Saar, Thomas
D: Welinski, Pettersson, Thompson, Cooper, Larsson*, Oleksy*, Melindy, Schultz, Megna*
G: Berra, Boyle, Redmond, Tokarski

* = May be in NHL

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach

D: Welinski, Pettersson, Thompson, Cooper, Larsson*, Oleksy*, Melindy, Schultz, Megna*

* = May be in NHL

I suspect that Grant will be in the AHL, but put that * by his name.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

* = May be in NHL

Will be interesting to see who ends up winning the two goalie positions.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Gulls will likely be a bit weak offensively this year, but that defense should be really, really good

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Very surprising to see Abbott return. I thought he was gone for sure, shocked that he didn't take a contract from Europe.

Nevertheless, he'll definitely be a formidable addition to the Gulls. The roster just keeps getting better and better.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Roster should look good this year too. I hope the fanbase keeps growing in SD as Chargers have gone now.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
DLBIp7pUEAABYKE.jpg

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Sept. 30, 2017

The Gulls and Fox Sports San Diego announced today they will together stream live two of the club’s preseason games via the FOX Sports GO app and FOXSportsGO.com. Both Gulls home exhibition games on Saturday, Sept. 30 vs. the Tucson Roadrunners (7 p.m.) and Monday, Oct. 2 vs. Ontario Reign (7 p.m.) will be available for live streaming via the FOX Sports GO app and FOXSportsGO.com, as well as FoxSportsSanDiego.com and FoxSportsWest.com.

http://www.sandiegogulls.com/streaming_093017/

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Liambas just annihilated Lane Pedersen on Tucson and got 5 and a game for it. It wasn't late or to the head, but it was in that danger spot near the boards.

Reactions: pbgoalie

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Carrick almost just scored an absurd goal.
And the game is indeed being streamed on Fox Sports GO if anybody has access to that.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Larsson's pretty impressive defensively out there. I'm surprised he didn't make the team

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Just because he's in this game doesn't necessarily mean he didn't make the team.
Disagree...They don't want to lose Megna on waivers this early on in the season. It's pretty clear. I'm not saying they think Megna is better than him but it is what it is.

Hussar

Talented.
Mar 30, 2004
Paradise
Kossila sure likes to skate on the left wing boards and trying to pass across ice to the right wing. That play is never going work at the nhl level and the Reigns big bodies prevented it tonight. Whether its his choice or Dallas' I couldnt tell. I thought Larsson was solid. Petterson needs to work on taking passes in the middle of the ice, but I thought he showed alot of promise. Kerdiles was forechecking great. Nattinen sucks right now. Missed alot of passes, but then again they all did. I hope he doesnt bust. I really like Hults and Fiore is going to score a ton of goals this year.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
One concern for me about last night was the inability of the Gulls to really generate threatening scoring chances around the net until the last 8 minutes or so of the game. Fiore's goal was on the rush - the rest of the game had the Gulls playing very much on the perimeter when they had possession.

Are we still thinking Berra will end up in San Diego? I still haven't seen him play in person.

Ontario has size again this year... gonna be another bruising season series.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
One concern for me about last night was the inability of the Gulls to really generate threatening scoring chances around the net until the last 8 minutes or so of the game. Fiore's goal was on the rush - the rest of the game had the Gulls playing very much on the perimeter when they had possession.

Are we still thinking Berra will end up in San Diego? I still haven't seen him play in person.

Ontario has size again this year... gonna be another bruising season series.
Miller has a minor injury, so I'm sure Berra will be up with us until Miller is fully healed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad