2015 / 8-Team University Cup - Halifax

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Very happy the U of A Golden Bears won the national championship again. Congrats on a great organization and job well done!

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
So they are keeping this format for sure next year correct?

What does everyone think about the bronze medal game? Since Sportsnet doesn't even broadcast it I wonder if it really serves a purpose. Perhaps more gate generated revenue?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
So they are keeping this format for sure next year correct?

What does everyone think about the bronze medal game? Since Sportsnet doesn't even broadcast it I wonder if it really serves a purpose. Perhaps more gate generated revenue?

I believe it is a good idea. They do this in other tournaments. It was a big game for Guelph to win.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Some late items to add to this thread

Tournament All-Star Team:
G – Andrew D’Agostini, Guelph
D – Jordan Murray, UNB
D – Jesse Craig, Alberta
F – Jordan Hickmott, Alberta
F – Cam Braes, UNB
F – Kruise Reddick, Alberta

MVP
MVP – Kruise Reddick, Alberta

Total Attendance was approximately:
G1 - 3738
G2 - 3069
G3 - 4731
G4 - 5504
G5 - 3564
G6 - 3518
G7 - 2175
G8 - 4404

Total = 30,703

Also - I believe someone else pointed this out, but all of the higher/favorite seeds won their games and the top 4 ended as the top 4 with no upsets (despite a crazy UQTR/Acadia game). That's the down side to this format - the odds are stacked against the lower-4 from getting into the semi-finals.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I don't think the higher seed should always be designated as the home team. Do it that way for the 1st round, but for the semis and the finals I would determine it by goal differential in you previous game(s).

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"That's the down side to this format - the odds are stacked against the lower-4 from getting into the semi-finals."

If you don't want to be a lower 4, then win something in the playoffs.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I am not in support of having the University Cup pushed ahead 1 week early. CIS hockey is over too early for me in the second week of March.
I would like to see the Championship weekend be moved back 1 week.
As for the bronze game, I understand that it would mean a lot to many programs, so I'm ok with it

The weather put a dent into last weekend and is another reason to push it back a week, I believe Saskatoon had weather problems as well. Too early!!!!!!!

Ringo

Mar 11, 2012
I think it's the same format as this year, but not certain.

That is my belief too, if they keep this format the Canada West will get 3 when the tournament is held out west with one the tournament host receiving the extra team.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I'm thinking it will "always" be 3-3-2, with the Host conference and OUA always getting 3.

That seems pretty fair. With the size of the OUA, there's no reason they shouldn't get that extra spot - that gives you the top two teams from each conference, the third place OUA team, and the host.

Opinionated

Mar 27, 2014
What happens when the OUA hosts?

Does it go to 2-4-2?

Or does one of the other conferences get to bring a third team?

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
What happens when the OUA hosts?

Does it go to 2-4-2?

Or does one of the other conferences get to bring a third team?

One of the benefits of the 8-team versus 6-team format is that it eliminated the issue of the revolving berth.

Each conference has its champion and runner-up go ... for the OUA, that includes the Quebec champion and the first runner-up, hence the three teams.

So, in the event that the OUA hosts again, I'd bet it gets 4 berths.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
can someone explain how the OUA hockey system works, does quebec have its own championship?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
can someone explain how the OUA hockey system works, does quebec have its own championship?

OUA is composed of 19 teams (9 in the East Conference and 10 in the West Conference). East plays 26 games and West plays 27 games. They have some type of interlocking schedule.

3 Quebec teams are included in OUA East.
Top 8 teams in each Conference play Best-of-3 Quarter, Semi and Finals.

Two Conference Finals winners play a Single game for the Queens Cup in the arena of the highest ranked ONTARIO team. A Quebec based team cannot host the Queens Cup, regardless of ranking.

Two Conference Finals losers play a Single game for the Wildcard berth at the Nationals. This game is played at the higher ranked team, period.

I'm sure some of the OUA guys can chime in and add to this.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
OUA is composed of 19 teams (9 in the East Conference and 10 in the West Conference). East plays 26 games and West plays 27 games. They have some type of interlocking schedule.

3 Quebec teams are included in OUA East.
Top 8 teams in each Conference play Best-of-3 Quarter, Semi and Finals.

Two Conference Finals winners play a Single game for the Queens Cup in the arena of the highest ranked ONTARIO team. A Quebec based team cannot host the Queens Cup, regardless of ranking.

Two Conference Finals losers play a Single game for the Wildcard berth at the Nationals. This game is played at the higher ranked team, period.

I'm sure some of the OUA guys can chime in and add to this.

All of that is correct, except for the last part. For the play-in game between the two Conference Finalists, if the East team is from Quebec, it also has to play the game in Ontario. The last two seasons, this has meant McGill traveling to Windsor.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
That seems pretty fair. With the size of the OUA, there's no reason they shouldn't get that extra spot - that gives you the top two teams from each conference, the third place OUA team, and the host.
The NCAA has 16 qualifiers and 6 came from one conference. CIS basketball had 4 of 8 teams from the OUA. The CIS needs to decide if it wants merit-based qualificaion or not, then apply it to all sports.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Any talk of who has shown interest in hosting this event after Halifax?

Haven't heard anything yet. Probably won't hear anything definitive until the season gets closer.

It was supposed to be the OUA's turn this year but the CIS demanded two year bids. Ryerson only put in a one year bid. So the CIS went with the money over what was fair. Not saying it is wrong or right but that is what happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad