2015 / 8-Team University Cup - Halifax

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
Has there been any financial updates after year one in Halifax?
8 teams
Hotels meals etc
Although UNB in final I am sure that wasn't ideal?
Or Was it a two year plan and results will be made known after 2016 event.

It would seem to me that Sportsnet is driving this 8 team format and multiple championship weekend....and CIS is getting feathers in return?

Who wants the financial burden?
Where is Edmonton going to host this. NHL lockout allowed them to use big rink last time,and I am pretty sure the new digs won't be available for them and for sure the cost will deter the bid as well.

Mar 1, 2013
This will really limit the number of teams that bid. Outside of Lakehead I can't see any OUA team bidding. My guess is that it will go back to Edmonton.

This will knock out Ryerson for sure, unfortunately. They are hosting the 2017 women's volleyball championship, which means they can't bid for both years. That tournament will actually be the first vball event to take place up in the rink, in the same way it has been converted for basketball.

Maybe Western could bid and host it at Budweiser Gardens? They are, afterall, a perennial contender. Brock would be another intriguing choice with the new Meridian Centre that just opened for the IceDogs. Of course they don't have as talented a team.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
I'd be shocked if Western bid - they get about 300 to 700 fans per game at Thompson. Several years ago when they played their home games at the (then) John Labatt Centre, they averaged around 1200 per game, and to the best of my recollection, never cracked 2000. They have been one of the top teams in the OUA for the better part of the past 30 years but have never been able to crack fan interest in the London market, which is clearly focused on the Knights. When they won the CIS championship in K-W in 2002 (they had a 22-0-2 regular season - arguably their best team ever) and, despite that game being an hour away from London, it was far from being a full house.

Last edited:

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
Don't be surprise if there's bid by Ryerson and or joint bid Between Ryerson/U of T

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
This will knock out Ryerson for sure, unfortunately. They are hosting the 2017 women's volleyball championship, which means they can't bid for both years.

Volleyball isn't part of "championship" weekend. Hypothetically, couldn't ryerson host both in 2017?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Regina and Calgary made previous bids. I believe programs with weak attendance could use the nationals as a stepping stone. I believe that the ideal place would be a small arena that looks nice on TV.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Regina and Calgary made previous bids. I believe programs with weak attendance could use hgr nationals as a stepping stone. I believe that the ideal place would be a small arena that looks nice on TV.

Calgary would be interesting as well. Perhaps U of C could co-host with Mount Royal?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I mentioned before that the AUS "may" bid again. If not for bad weather they would have had a good crowd for Gold medal game and possibly topped the 40K attendance they were looking for. I haven't heard any numbers, but I haven't asked either. I'll sniff around and see what I can find out on this and possible re-bid.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Both Acadia and UPEI seem like they would make sense....they both draw good crowds and have competitive teams....although I don't know if Acadia's arena would be quite big enough, they might have to use Halifax as well. UPEI could use the Islanders rink.

Mar 1, 2013
Don't be surprise if there's bid by Ryerson and or joint bid Between Ryerson/U of T

This would certainly be interesting, and obviously there is precedent with the joint bid this past season and next between St. FX and St. Mary's. The difference, of course, would be the tournament being hosted in separate arenas - the MAC one year, and Varsity Arena the other. Are you saying don't be surprised, though, because you've heard rumours this is in the works?

Mar 1, 2013
Volleyball isn't part of "championship" weekend. Hypothetically, couldn't ryerson host both in 2017?

Technically, they could, yes. You're right in saying volleyball isn't part of CIS championship weekend. But when have you seen one school host two CIS championships in the same season in two major sports like that? My guess is Ryerson would want to invest all their time in one championship to have the best single event they can. That said, I wouldn't be surprised as discussed above if the Rams and Varsity Blues put in a joint bid, with U of T hosting in 2017 and Ryerson in 2018

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I believe a Toronto/Ryerson bid would be a great idea. Varsity Arena was used for a season by the WHA Toros. According to Wikipedia the seatng capacity was reduced following renovations to 4,116, which in my view is just fine. That and the MAC would be the ideal size. I am sure their Friday night game would be a big hit. And if they get lucky and win the place would be jammed on Saturday and Sunday. If not, the visiting fans would still make it look good on TV.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I haven't been in Varsity Arena since it has been renovated, but back in 1997 it was showing its age ... reminded me of the Halifax Forum. That was the last year the 4-team University Cup semi's were played at Varsity with the final played at Maple Leaf Gardens.

I can definitively see UPEI bidding. I thought they were preparing a bid to go against the StFX/SMU bid a couple of years ago, but I could be wrong. Acadia bid before on using the Metro Centre (sorry, Scotiabank Centre) and I can see them trying again.

Don't forget abut UNB trying again. The Varsity Reds program has a goal of bidding for any Nationals for any sport (well, men's and women's soccer, basketball and volleyball lately) and I could see them going for hockey again.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I nominate a place that has not hosted for a generation or so. Somewhere in the west outside of Edmontown or Saskatown. Maybe Ryerson, Carleton, or North Bay from Ontario. Or Concordia and McGill can do in Montreal what St. FX and SMU are doing in Halifax. The nationals could be used to promote the CIS brand in non-traditional CIS hockey markets.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I nominate a place that has not hosted for a generation or so. Somewhere in the west outside of Edmontown or Saskatown. Maybe Ryerson, Carleton, or North Bay from Ontario. Or Concordia and McGill can do in Montreal what St. FX and SMU are doing in Halifax. The nationals could be used to promote the CIS brand in non-traditional CIS hockey markets.

I agree but the teams actually have to bid. I heard last time that Ryerson wanted to only make a one-year bid. CIS wants two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->