2015 / 8-Team University Cup - Halifax

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Re:Freddy Beach

UNB is NEVER out-classed.
They worked their tails off and were chasing the game all night.
But Alberta had more skill and hot special teams!
My guess is UNB will be a beast next year!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Yep...you're not going to win too many games by only getting 9 shots on net. If they matched Alberta shot-wise they probably would have won. Alberta just didn't give them any time at all in the offensive zone, something UNB probably isn't used to. I wonder how many shots UNB attempted though...Alberta must have blocked 25+ shots in the game.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Don't blame Shantz blame 9 shots on net in the game by the Reds and its too bad Doyle wasn't there to blame. unb were out classed by u of a tonight.

Yep. Can't blame Shantz for this one. Only the second goal was kind of border line.
At the other end Mucha didn't play any better.

After the Bears went up 2-0 I was really worried about it becoming a blowout. So at least the VReds made a game of it.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
At the other end Mucha didn't play any better.

That's kind of the frustrating part I guess....if they had been able to get a few more shots on net, or done anything on their power plays, they might have won. Having said that, I don't really know if you can fault Mucha on any of the goals. The 1st one was just a great play by Boudens, the 2nd one was tip he didn't really have a chance on, and the 3rd one was about as lucky a goal you will see.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Yep...you're not going to win too many games by only getting 9 shots on net. If they matched Alberta shot-wise they probably would have won. Alberta just didn't give them any time at all in the offensive zone, something UNB probably isn't used to. I wonder how many shots UNB attempted though...Alberta must have blocked 25+ shots in the game.

Not sure what the final Blocked Shots were but after 2 Periods Alberta was credited with 20 Blocked shots at that point, so 25+ not out of the question.

While its true you cant blame the goaltending when you only get 9 shots, UNB opened well than Alberta comes down the Ice gets their 1st shot and scored, Alberta gets there 3rd shot on Net and its 2-0, those are momentum killers, yet UNB kept plugging. Every time UNB got back in it, Alberta would take away the momentum with a goal.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
No doubt, Alberta had an answer every time UNB pulled back within a goal....they just couldn't get over the hump. If they had tied I would have liked their chances to finish the comeback, but alas...not meant to be on this night.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
The last minute goal in the 2nd, the too many men penalty (?), the 2 shorthanded goals and getting only 9 shots were too much to overcome.
How was a penalty not called when Murray was highsticked after the play by the way?
Despite all that the game was actually in doubt with the score 4-3!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I thought Murray sold that high-stick a bit. I was fine with no call on it.

The things that bit UNB in the butt at different times this year were their undoing tonight. The too many men on the ice penalty (they seemed to have quite a few of those this year), the bad version of their power play (which we have seen way too much in the last couple of years), the defensive zone turnovers (UNB had at least 2 good chances to clear the puck right before Alberta's 2nd goal)....

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
Only got to see the first half of the game after my PVR decided to stop recording but saw enough to get a feel for the game. Was not surprised to see the PK of the Bears do what they did, it has been a staple of their game plan since Herbers came on board. His philosophy has always been attack at all times and the PK is the crown jewel. Also helps that the Bears have three or four units they can put out that all contribute the same.

I did find it interesting in reading the game recap that both coaches said it was not their best efforts - and they were both right. The difference was the Bears defensive zone coverage - it was an aggressive scheme that gave every one of their opponents trouble all year.

Will be interesting to see how many Bears come back for their 5th year as a lot of their key contributors are 4th year players. UNB definitely has a group that will be at the top again next year.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Congratulations to the Bears on winning the University Cup.
Through two periods, UNB had at least 50 % puck possession, with only a hand full of shots, but it was their powerplay's that failed them.
Alberta took away the shooting lanes from the point and defensive zone coverage was outstanding.
Although some on here don't want to point the finger at Shantz, he certainly didn't deliver the performance that was needed in a gold medal match, plain and simple.
I will say that this was the tightest checking CIS game that I have ever seen.
It will be interesting to see who stays or goes for the Bears. If the core of this team is back next year, they will have a serious shot at winning 3 in a row. I was told by an Alberta parent that Reddick (c) is not coming back, we know Jessie Craig, the Bears top d-man will graduate and I believe Mucha is done. There are several others, including big forwards in Hickmott and Toomey that were impressive, that are in their fourth year.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I'm several years removed from being an active CIS watcher but I did watch the game yesterday.

As a UNB alum I was obviously disappointed by the result, but holy moley, that Alberta defensive performance was unlike anything I've ever seen. 9 shots in 60 minutes?! Unreal. Any team that posts a defensive score like that absolutely deserves to be crowned champions.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
First thing congrats to UNB for their season and making the Final, and to U of A for repeating as National Champion.

For close checking hockey it was very quick paced...how good are these guys? Would they compete on even terms with ECHL teams?

One other thought is the stick obstructions...it seemed to be rampant, but below a certain threshold, and not called. It seemed a little more than what is allowed in NHL, (though that certainly is changing to allow more all the time), and other levels. Has it been like that for a while?

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
First thing congrats to UNB for their season and making the Final, and to U of A for repeating as National Champion.

For close checking hockey it was very quick paced...how good are these guys? Would they compete on even terms with ECHL teams?

Great question. The only evidence comes from UNB's exhibition games with the AHL Portland Pirates, which from what I understand have been close matches.

I, for one, think that UNB and Alberta would comfortably beat most ECHL teams, and would give a few AHL teams a serious run. The next tier of top CIS teams - like McGill, UQTR, Acadia, Calgary, etc. - would also fair well against ECHL teams.

Of course, that's just a matter of opinion. It would be great to see some exhibition matches in the future - it would open many eyes as to the high quality of hockey in the CIS.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

One other thought is the stick obstructions...it seemed to be rampant, but below a certain threshold, and not called. It seemed a little more than what is allowed in NHL, (though that certainly is changing to allow more all the time), and other levels. Has it been like that for a while?

Not that it's a huge sample size, but adding to what MiamiHockey provided, UBC -a bottom tier CIS team- lost 3-1 to the AHL Abbotsford Heat back in 2011. In 2010, they lost to the ECHL Victoria Salmon Kings 8-6.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Not that it's a huge sample size, but adding to what MiamiHockey provided, UBC -a bottom tier CIS team- lost 3-1 to the AHL Abbotsford Heat back in 2011. In 2010, they lost to the ECHL Victoria Salmon Kings 8-6.

The Bisons had several games against the Manitoba Moose (AHL):

September 2002: Moose 7 Bisons 3
September 29, 2005: Bisons 3 Moose 1
October 4, 2005: Moose 6 Bisons 4
September 26, 2007: Moose 7 Bisons 1
September 30, 2008: Bisons 6, Moose 2
September 29, 2010: Moose 2, Bisons 1

Some, like the 2010 game, were billed as "Moose Prospects". In all cases, most of the key AHL players were still at the NHL camp at the time. The 2005 games were very close to a full Moose roster and those were pretty much the only exhibitions they had that year.

Most CIS regulars could play ECHL no problem. In fact, many are AHL calibre but don't sign there because they are too old to be "prospects".

The Monkeys play the Oilers Prospects most seasons and have a winning record.

In a Battle of Calgary, the Flames have beaten the Dinos twice now, I believe. Maybe MRU will get in on that now.

Sask played the Islanders Prospects I believe in a Saskatoon prospect tournament one year as well.

The Bisons also played a mini-tournament against "Jets Blue" and "Jets White" in 1984. Those were mismatches. Dale Hawerchuk and those guys played in those games. The Bisons had Dale Derkatch then. He won the WHL scoring titles back-to-back but he was barely 5 feet tall. He left the Bisons after just a few games to play in Europe.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I thought Murray sold that high-stick a bit. I was fine with no call on it.

The things that bit UNB in the butt at different times this year were their undoing tonight. The too many men on the ice penalty (they seemed to have quite a few of those this year), the bad version of their power play (which we have seen way too much in the last couple of years), the defensive zone turnovers (UNB had at least 2 good chances to clear the puck right before Alberta's 2nd goal)....

True - but UNB didn't have a 3-on-5 short-handed situation during the tournament(that I recall) - that's a bonus :handclap:

They were averaging one a game for awhile this season

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
i am honestly rather suprised that after playing most of the season and playoffs, RD chisholm was sat during all of nationals, does anyone have an explination why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad