2015 / 8-Team University Cup - Halifax

Mar 1, 2013
You basically need one big sponsor, and since it is on TV I would say it could be done. Ryerson must have a grad who bought a company.

Also, Ryerson's small venue is ideal. It is easy to find flights to Toronto for any teams that qualify so even the Atlantic and Western teams would bring in several hundred fans between them.

If they have the will to host I am sure they could do it.

Having worked as a broadcaster for Rams games in the past, I can tell you there's nothing they'd love more than to host this tournament and showcase the rink. The CIS men's basketball final 8 was a great stepping stone to build on, so you'd think it's only a matter of time.

The one thing working against them is the quality of the team with three first round exits in the last 4 years. It appeared they'd turned a corner last season with the MAC finally paying dividends in recruiting, giving the Rams a high-powered offense that got them home ice for the first time and they reached the 2nd round. Granted, they brought in some good recruits and got home ice again this year, but only lasted 2 games against their rivals from U of T. And that core continues to disappear, with some guys graduating, and others (including half of last year's roster) either flat out quitting the team or going pro or quitting TO go pro (we're talking some of their best players here).

Until they can put together a contending roster that - one year from the outset of the tournament, which is when the bids are due - seems to have a chance to get to at least the conference final round (which in the new 8-team format is really all you have to reach to get 2 shots at going to nationals), it might be a tough sell. But I have no doubt they will do their best. With Rams women's volleyball hosting nationals in 2017, I would say the earliest you will seem them bid for is 2018 if they go for the single bid again, and otherwise 2019-20 if the 2-year bid is still the policy at that time.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Talking with one of the organizers, pre-tournament, there was a thought that Halifax will bid again.

For 2017-2018 or after that?

Post-tournament, 30K fans is not a bad number. With SFX or Acadia playing on Sat and again Sunday would have certainly increased that number. Weather was a factor for Sundays games.

Next year they will have the Huskies. Plus, I don't think you will see two AUS teams go out in the first round again. So I think there will be higher attendance as long as the weather cooperates.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
UCCB, Mount A and Memorial University will be putting in a Trio bid to host the University Cup for 3 straight seasons. I feel bad for who would have to host the first year going to be tough for any of the three Universities fielding a competitive Expansion team that quickly.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good one.....

Rob, the talk was for the next 2 years after next year, so 17-18. As far as 2 AUS teams not going out in the 1st round... If SMU doesn't get a goalie they will meet UofA as the host team and be done.

If Ryerson rink only holds 2500, it's no good for CIS. they need around 4K plus tv facilities, etc.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Good one.....

Rob, the talk was for the next 2 years after next year, so 17-18. As far as 2 AUS teams not going out in the 1st round... If SMU doesn't get a goalie they will meet UofA as the host team and be done.

If Ryerson rink only holds 2500, it's no good for CIS. they need around 4K plus tv facilities, etc.

Outside of Ryerson,If anyone were to bid in the OUA, McGill would be the team that should do it.
Large Alumni support, competitive program, but would have to find a ffacility outside of McConnell arena.
You would think that there would be interest?

Bob, any talk on Alberta hosting anytime soon??

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
This season will determine if Ryerson will bid on Nationals, I know for a fact they want to bid on it but they must have team to support it. Ryerson has changed a lot since Graham Wise Ryerson Head Coach & Doug Hollinsky Head Scout/Director of Hockey Operations took over this team. They really pull off miracle to make this team good on so many levels, including changing the environment of losing into a challenger.

Wise was previously with York & Hollinsky with Lakehead as scout. They have lost a lot of good players early ranging from academics to most recently players going pro. If they didn't lose Couchraine, Lombardi, Wise , McDonough, MacPherson and Hermengildo from last year squad, I believe they would have been challenger for OUA Championship

I can tell they have made my life a lot harder to recruit GTA players to school I work for, and don't be surprise if they have really good recruiting class this year which in turn should produce a great season this year.

Winning does this, culture change & arena and academics made it easier for them, time will but I for one know how hard they work & will do everything necessary to win and to bring CIS Championship tourney to Toronto and Ryerson

Getting Taylor Dupuis & Luke Mercer helps them a lot, while adding Barrick & Delaurantis add much need depth. But there not done yet, and I expect them to get more major a players if floating rumours are true. Like I said, their making my job harder to land GTA. They have my respect and put there program on map and everyone is noticing.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
York? hahaha, that's a good one. . . only if they make it a multi-cultural, transgender quidditch tournament.:devdance::devdance:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
York? hahaha, that's a good one. . . only if they make it a multi-cultural, transgender quidditch tournament.:devdance::devdance:

Or soccer. Which is basically the same thing.
rimshot.gif

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I think Carleton could host at the Civic Centre/TD Place on Bank Street. Great spots to eat and hang out-in the Glebe and only a few blocks from the hotels and the Market.

I know it's the 67's home, but the Mooseheads and Blades have both made allowances in the past to host cities. I'm sure the 67's would do the same.

The problem, as McD pointed out in his piece - not a lot of support from the campus who are all focused on BBall in the winter semester.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
That is a HUGE problem. You would lose your shirt with a handful of fans showing up. There needs to be some semblance of fan support throughout the year on a regular basis before anyone would think of hosting. The list of hosts is not that large especially with the new format. Right now, the best option is the AUS where you have 3 teams in and a reasonable travel distance for AUS fans.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Opinion piece that I wrote on Carleton hockey being the forgotten team on campus.

Indeed, a great read. It would appear to me that the fan support for CIS teams is directly related to the availability of so-called "better" hockey in the same city/area. Thunder Bay and Fredericton are relatively big towns with no major junior team, and Nipissing used to draw much, much better before the OHL returned to North Bay.

Conversely, look at some of the larger centers with strong programs - Calgary, Carleton, McGill, Western, Waterloo and St. Mary's draw 200-400 fans a game, at most. These are also cities with NHL and/or CHL teams with deeper fan bases.

of course, a big part of the issue is also that the quality of hockey has vastly improved over the last decade or so, and casual hockey fans are slow on the uptake. Hopefully, as CHL grads and former pros keep permeating the league, the attention picks up too.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Won't happen, Adam. People like Junior hockey because of a lot of things. Their kids like it because they have mascots and loud music, adults like it because of fights and NHL bound players. Walk around most CIS rinks and the average age is about 50. I'm kidding, but not by much. Students don't attend, even if it's free.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
As for 2017 don't be shocked if Ottawa gets it Oseg wants to bring in as many Cis championships events as possible.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Won't happen, Adam. People like Junior hockey because of a lot of things. Their kids like it because they have mascots and loud music, adults like it because of fights and NHL bound players. Walk around most CIS rinks and the average age is about 50. I'm kidding, but not by much. Students don't attend, even if it's free.

You're right, that's probably wishful thinking. Our rink at Waterloo is in the same portion of campus as the student residences, approx. 5 minutes apart by foot - and the average age is not far off what you say.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You're right, that's probably wishful thinking. Our rink at Waterloo is in the same portion of campus as the student residences, approx. 5 minutes apart by foot - and the average age is not far off what you say.

I'd blame that on three things, no emphasis on any.

• Despite having more than our share of athletic minded people, its just not a "sports" school. People are focused on school, or co-op, or social life, or personal sports outside of school, but not school sports. Plus due to the age of students in rez I'd say a good portion of your most passionate hockey fans/ players still have weekend hockey of their own, whether it be juvie or lower level junior.

Marketing. I don't know when games are or who we're playing unless I decide to look it up.

The arena. great atmosphere, and definitely a crowd amplifier when attendance is so poor, but I HATE watching hockey at CIF. If you're not standing at ice level on the one end there's maybe 10 good seats in the entire place. And by good I mean passably ok

It's a shame because its a fun team to watch.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
As for 2017 don't be shocked if Ottawa gets it Oseg wants to bring in as many Cis championships events as possible.

Would love to see it happen. Ottawa is my favorite city to visit.
While Toronto is probably the best central location for the tournament as far as visiting fans are concerned Ottawa is a close second. If your team gets knocked out early there is still plenty to do in the city.

Would there be any chance they could get TD Arena for the tournament or is it too big?

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Would love to see it happen. Ottawa is my favorite city to visit.
While Toronto is probably the best central location for the tournament as far as visiting fans are concerned Ottawa is a close second. If your team gets knocked out early there is still plenty to do in the city.

Would there be any chance they could get TD Arena for the tournament or is it too big?
Ottawa has NHL, major junior, host of world junior championships, but I don"t think that this event would be successful there or in Toronto, unless someone has lots of money to lose??

You want to make it a positive experience for the student athlete, and playing in front of empty seats isn't a positive experience.
Kitchener all over again.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Nationals '16 & '17

This might have come up in discussions previously - not sure.

This thread seemed to be the best place to mention it.

The CIS Bid Book was released in April with the following on Hockey

"Men’s Ice Hockey Championship: The Board of Directors recently passed a motion requiring two-year only bids for this championship. One year bids will NOT be accepted. The 4-
day, 8-team, single elimination format will be maintained."

Bid Deadline is August 28th.
Bid Locations Released by Sept. 9th
Bid Winners Released within 48hrs of Oct. 2nd.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
This might have come up in discussions previously - not sure.

This thread seemed to be the best place to mention it.

The CIS Bid Book was released in April with the following on Hockey

"Men’s Ice Hockey Championship: The Board of Directors recently passed a motion requiring two-year only bids for this championship. One year bids will NOT be accepted. The 4-
day, 8-team, single elimination format will be maintained."

Bid Deadline is August 28th.
Bid Locations Released by Sept. 9th
Bid Winners Released within 48hrs of Oct. 2nd.

This will really limit the number of teams that bid. Outside of Lakehead I can't see any OUA team bidding. My guess is that it will go back to Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->