2015 / 8-Team University Cup - Halifax

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Guelph takes the bronze with a 3-2 (ot) win over UQTR. Only watched the third at overtime but both teams were playing hard. Would have liked to have seen a replay of the game winning goal as it looked like Nadeau may have had the puck covered up. I guess he fired a water bottle at the ref.

Had it covered for a split second, then pushed loose. Didn't see Nadeau do anything as Eastlink followed the Guelph players.

Yes, I'm not at the rink and won't be tonight. Road is not plowed, so I'm not going anywhere. Would like to be there and have a beer with the boys, but feces occurs.

dale 1919

Jun 9, 2009
Had it covered for a split second, then pushed loose. Didn't see Nadeau do anything as Eastlink followed the Guelph players.

Yes, I'm not at the rink and won't be tonight. Road is not plowed, so I'm not going anywhere. Would like to be there and have a beer with the boys, but feces occurs.

Only so many horse and buggies available? What the heck kind of excuse is that?

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
I actually thought UNB played very well, Alberta certainly didnt play better than them. Unfortunately it all comes down to Shantz save percentage.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I thought UNB played pretty well too, but they need to start getting some more shots in net as well...3 just isn't going to cut it. Plus, a few saves wouldn't hurt either. They have to get at least within a goal heading into the 3rd...I would be pretty comfortable with that.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
was about to post that UNB won that Period but than Lazo got a shot on net with a couple of seconds left

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
was about to post that UNB won that Period but than Lazo got a shot on net with a couple of seconds left

Can't fault Shantz on that one too much...Lazo tipped it as he was driving to the net. The defenceman who had him deserves some blame as well.

Alberta is just so quick and dangerous on the transition game....give them one chance and they don't miss.

And they have been absolutely phenomenal blocking shots.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Can't fault Shantz on that one too much...Lazo tipped it as he was driving to the net. The defenceman who had him deserves some blame as well.

Alberta is just so quick and dangerous on the transition game....give them one chance and they don't miss.

And they have been absolutely phenomenal blocking shots.

Agreed. Usually it is the lower ranked defensive teams that block shots like that. Very impressive.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Heck of a game by Alberta, great defensively and a ton of blocked shots, especially in that second period.

All results followed the seedings and brackets - all of the top 4 seeds made their way to the semi final and the top two met in the final, with the top 3 seeds finishing 1, 2, 3.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Full Credit to Alberta, they were the number one ranked team for a reason and deserved to win. I thought despite the 3-1 score after two UNB played well, thought the game was even till that point.

Alberta Dominated the third defensively, to allow UNB only 2 shots on goal with the game online is quite a thing, to allow UNB allow 9 shots on Goal is unreal, in 20 + years, I dont remember UNB being held to under 30 shots per game too often.

Ill post my personal UNB Team thoughts in the UNB boards

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Yeah, I was more impressed by the Bears defensive zone play more than anything else. The were also very aggressive on the penalty kill. Something that is usually the trademark of the Vreds.

While I am disappointed with the loss I the Bears are clearly the best in the country. The guys are not going to feel it tonight but they should be happy with their silver medal performance.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I ripped on Calgary for not managing many shots on Alberta despite a ton of power plays in the CW finals. UNB had 9 shots on goal and had 7 power plays (not all were for a full 2 minutes, but still)....that's brutal. But, you do have to give a ton of credit to the Bears...they were lights out defensively and on the PK...and the number of shots they blocked was staggering.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I figured UNB might be able to take advantage of a tired Bears team playing their 3rd game in 3 nights by the time the 3rd period rolled around...but it was exactly the opposite. Alberta definitely gave UNB a taste of their own medicine in this one.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Bears go Back-to-Back

UNB played a really good game 5v5. They took it to Alberta in stretches, but the Golden Bears had more elite level finish and killed UNB in the special teams battle.
To me the shots didn't seem 24-9 for Alberta.
Alberta out-shot their opposition 100-39 over three games, and out-scored them 16-5, a good showing for sure.

Freddy Beach

Jun 14, 2013
Don't blame Shantz blame 9 shots on net in the game by the Reds and its too bad Doyle wasn't there to blame. unb were out classed by u of a tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad