Prospect Info: 2014 1st Round Pick (#11 Overall) - Center - Kevin Fiala - (Signed ELC)

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't know. Forsberg went straight to the AHL.

I know there's an agreement about CHL players that are drafted can't play in the AHL until they're 19. However, Fiala is not a CHL player.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I don't know. Forsberg went straight to the AHL.

I know there's an agreement about CHL players that are drafted can't play in the AHL until they're 19. However, Fiala is not a CHL player.

The only thing I can find is that SHL players have until the age of 22 to be signed by the club that drafts them. I'm not sure if there is anything else though as like you said why did Forsberg come on over at age 18?

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/1/7/3847772/nhl-sweden-transfer-agreement

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I will still be very surprised if the start the clock on his ELC by having him play in Milwaukee. I thin he stays in sweden. If he comes to NA it should be to play juniors but I think he'd be better off playing against men in the SEL

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Actually he could maybe play in NHL ! who knows ...

When playing in Sweden, no one imagined he would do great in SEL senior ... ... and so he did ... being in some games simply the best player on ice. between his 2nd and 4th game in SEL he scored some 8 points (on other games he was inexistent) .... but i learned not to project with him.

Full of surprises this young Fiala.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Actually he could maybe play in NHL ! who knows ...

When playing in Sweden, no one imagined he would do great in SEL senior ... ... and so he did ... being in some games simply the best player on ice. between his 2nd and 4th game in SEL he scored some 8 points (on other games he was inexistent) .... but i learned not to project with him.

Full of surprises this young Fiala.

Too rough for the NHL right now based on what people saw during the rookie camp… he will be back in the SEL to start the year and will most likely be in MIL the following year/tail end of this year. Kid is talented, but needs more time in the incubator.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Too rough for the NHL right now based on what people saw during the rookie camp… he will be back in the SEL to start the year and will most likely be in MIL the following year/tail end of this year. Kid is talented, but needs more time in the incubator.

Why waste a contract spot on him now if he's just going to stay overseas?

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Why waste a contract spot on him now if he's just going to stay overseas?

same question !

If he would go back to Sweden, they would keep his rights, have another year at the entry level and attribute the place to another player ... and save 600'000 USD !

After all he received the contract after the camp ... (where Laviolette was so categorical in his say : No valuation ! :laugh:)

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
same question !

If he would go back to Sweden, they would keep his rights, have another year at the entry level and attribute the place to another player ... and save 600'000 USD !

After all he received the contract after the camp ... (where Laviolette was so categorical in his say : No valuation ! :laugh:)

I'm not that knowledgeable about NHL contracts, but I don't think the contract actually starts if he doesn't play in the NHL for more than nine games. At that point, it's just a way for the management to show it believes in the player. The only thing that would have an impact (save for a signature bonus, maybe), is like Preds33 said, a contract spot.

van22

May 25, 2014
I'm not that knowledgeable about NHL contracts, but I don't think the contract actually starts if he doesn't play in the NHL for more than nine games. At that point, it's just a way for the management to show it believes in the player. The only thing that would have an impact (save for a signature bonus, maybe), is like Preds33 said, a contract spot.

Would agree. Plus the salary is pro-rated for time on the NHL roster so it's not that relevant other than it counts towards the 50 contract limit.

The reason they signed by the 15th has likely nothing to do with development camp and probably more because of the transfer agreement between the SHL and the NHL to avoid a penalty fee (at least that used to be the reason in the past). Leaves them flexibility.
Probably the same situation with Arvidsson although I don't know if he still had a contract with SAIK but Fiala did sign one with HV71 for 2014/15 earlier this year.
In the post-draft interview on the Preds website DPoile said that they would leave Fiala the choice as to whether he wants to play in CHL or HV71 next year. Which points towards this contract out clause otherwise he simply wouldn't have the option.

HV71 season starts end of August with the Champions League, so we'll likely get an indication of his plans by then.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The AHL is a professional league. The only way to play in the AHL without starting you ELC is on an Amateur Try Out I believe. I think then the player would technically be Ads property.
If someone knows for sure please step up and explain...

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
I really hope he goes back to the SEL and doesn't wind up in Milwaukee. The SEL is way better than the AHL as far as developing young players + I don't think Moser has positive things to tell him about Milwaukee haha no wonder he wants out.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I really hope he goes back to the SEL and doesn't wind up in Milwaukee. The SEL is way better than the AHL as far as developing young players + I don't think Moser has positive things to tell him about Milwaukee haha no wonder he wants out.

The SEL is way better for Fiala, but if he did play in Milwaukee, we would be getting a pretty good idea of what type of player he can become. Poile + Lavy, along with our scouts, can see actually compare him to others instead of just going by numbers and things in a European hockey league. You never know, the kid could go to Milwaukee and play at a ppg pace, then gets called up half way through the season.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Just out of curiosity, why was he signed if we are so close to the contract limit if he's not going to be in NA? Why not wait until next summer to sign him? This just makes me think that we may see him in NA this year.

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
Just out of curiosity, why was he signed if we are so close to the contract limit if he's not going to be in NA? Why not wait until next summer to sign him? This just makes me think that we may see him in NA this year.

That's what I have been thinking

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN

He has even said he wants to play in North America for the Preds this year. I think we will see him in Milwuakee because he is closer to playing in the bigs in the AHL vs. the SEL

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
He has even said he wants to play in North America for the Preds this year. I think we will see him in Milwuakee because he is closer to playing in the bigs in the AHL vs. the SEL

I know he said he wants to play in Nashville this year, but the likelihood of that happening, especially after last week's signings is .00000000000000001%. I'm not sure if goes to the AHL or SEL. If it's SEL why waste/use a contract spot when we only have 1 or 2 left, so that leads me to believe he's heading to Milwaukee.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Nashville city population 610,000 with 1.6 million in the metro area.

Milwaukee city population 600,000 with 1.6 million in the metro area.

Whatever he doesn't like about Milwaukee, will only be 10 F warmer in Nashville.

If Moser doesn't like Milwaukee, the Preds need to trade him tomorrow!

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

Whatever he doesn't like about Milwaukee, will only be 10 F warmer in Nashville.

I don't see him returning this season. He rejected his offer from the Preds. From what I read he could make more money in Switzerland than what his offer was.

http://swisshockeynews.ch/index.php...s-first-offer-of-the-nashville-predators-down

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I know he said he wants to play in Nashville this year, but the likelihood of that happening, especially after last week's signings is .00000000000000001%. I'm not sure if goes to the AHL or SEL. If it's SEL why waste/use a contract spot when we only have 1 or 2 left, so that leads me to believe he's heading to Milwaukee.

Exactly, and i wasnt saying he was playing here. But who knows, maybe he plays very well and we have a couple injuries or need a spark of offense. To have the skill we would have in the AHL waiting to be called up, with Forsberg and Fiala, is something not a lot of teams can say they have

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY

I'm sorry, but I don't see the correlation between the size of the population.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Yeah, considering Nashville's metro area is 1.757 million, compared to Milwaukee's 1.569 million. The difference is about equal to that of the metro area where I live (Wausau/Stevens Point).

van22

May 25, 2014

Generally speaking, I suspect too much uncertainty for both the player and the team. Without a contract, the NHL only acknowledges that a team holds a player's rights. Potential risk: the player could decide to not commit after waiting a year and stay with his team in Europe and even re-enter the draft at a later stage (age 22 seems to be the cutoff date as per post #102).

At least now the Preds know that they can make plans with him being part of the team at some point in the future.

This signing also allows to gain control and have options. He was under contract with HV71 and it's only by signing that the out clause was activated. Now the contract is held by the Preds and he would be on loan to HV71 if he were to stay in the SHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad