Prospect Info: 2014 1st Round Pick (#11 Overall) - Center - Kevin Fiala - (Signed ELC)

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
343121-1eb7ce1ead4846d62a8d24aee488c9d2.jpg

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=724121

http://www.tennessean.com/story/pre...fiala-nashville-predators-nhl-draft/11568459/

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/kevin-fiala/

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
So what can we expect from this kid? Saw him a little bit in the World Championships when he played against the US, didn't see much though. Any prediction on when he will get into the league?

Im thinking he plays in the SHL this year then Milwaukee the year after

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I think that sounds right. 2 years away with an outside chance to see him play a handful in 1 year. I can't wait for development camp this year. Talk about adding some skill to the prospect pool in just a year.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
First off, very happy. Seems like the kind of guy we'd want to add here. I predicted this, and was rooting for it when our pick came out. Welcome to the organization Kevin!

I really think the fact that Josi and Moser are in the organization will be great for him. Hopefully we can get a good fanbase over in Switzerland, and as more young guys hit UFA, they want to come play here.

I actually think this is part of a larger movement to make the Predators more international. North Americans tend to want to play in traditional hockey markets (Suter, Hamhuis), while Euros tend to like it more in smaller markets (Josi, Rinne). I think there is definite reasoning behind Poile acquiring guys like Jarnkrok, Forsberg, Fiala, etc. Of course, not every move follows this pattern, but I think we are going for Euros, generally speaking.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
I totally overlooked this guy, as I stated in the draft thread. He's accomplished a lot for his age. I think he's two seasons away from cracking the roster at a minimum. Another season in Sweden then a season in Milwaukee to work on his NA game and defense.

He's been compared to P. Kane multiple times due to his size, speed and shiftiness. I don't expect him to reach Kane's level, but if he can become a legit second line forward then it's a win for Nashville.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Fiala played a lot of wing at HV71 this year. That's probably where his future is with us.

The upside is definitely there. He handles the puck exceedingly well. I hope we can at least get him over here for training camp, then loan him back to Sweden for a year and have him get a feel for North American ice in 15/16.

I like this pick a lot.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Good skater, good stickhandling, reads the game well. Defensively not thaht good, but improved it a lot during the last year in Sweden.

He will do great for you, but as some mentiode, have some patience. I guess it's the best thing for his development, when he plays the next season in Sweden and leads Switzerland to the gold medal at the IIHF WC. :D;)

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Forgot the Red Line at home. But, I remember that he had Fiala ranked #10 and says that he has amazing hands and is an insane skater. He also said that, especially for his size, he is really good in the corners. His only knock, is that he needs to work on his defensive game. He is predicted to be a top-line scorer and his style (not predicting how good he'll be, just his style) compares to Tarasenko.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I see Fiala closer in style(obviously not skill level) to say, Datsyuk who uses his skating and stick handling to create opportunities for himself and other teammates instead of more of a sniper like Tarasenko but from the limited amount of action I've seen of him he's got great speed, stick handling, puck possession and a pretty good shot with a high compete level. His defense still needs work, but in terms of what you want out of an 18 year old, it's really not a huge concern. Meanwhile, he played with men in Sweden and his linemates called him the best player on the ice saying that he makes everyone better.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Rumor has it that Fiala is heading to the QMJHL to for the Ramparts. I don't know how to feel about this, let him year it up in juniors against kids his age while playing a North American style OR play in the 3rd best pro league against men..

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
After reading about his defensive game I realized what a change this team is going through. He would have never been consider under Trotz.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Rumor has it that Fiala is heading to the QMJHL to for the Ramparts. I don't know how to feel about this, let him year it up in juniors against kids his age while playing a North American style OR play in the 3rd best pro league against men..

Both have their advantages. Playing against men is always a good thing but it's on a larger ice surface. Playing against lesser competition while adjusting to the smaller ice surface is good and bad too. He can build confidence while adjusting to the smaller space and time he'll have over in NA. I think getting adjusted to the smaller rink size is a bigger issue and the sooner he does it the better he can be.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Both have their advantages. Playing against men is always a good thing but it's on a larger ice surface. Playing against lesser competition while adjusting to the smaller ice surface is good and bad too. He can build confidence while adjusting to the smaller space and time he'll have over in NA. I think getting adjusted to the smaller rink size is a bigger issue and the sooner he does it the better he can be.

A huge plus is if he came over he would be playing with Jack Eichel. Imagine the point totals of those two next year :amazed:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

I agree thats why Forsberg is going to start again in Milwaukee. We have been more successful with Euros really over the years so getting a jump start to the smaller ice is a chance that he needs to take. And if he does play for the Ramparts thats a good thing as well.

KreamofAskarov

Here for fun
Dec 26, 2010
Canada

I hope so, I'll go see him play when ever he's in town

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
This kid is amazing.

I am pretty happy he landed here.

I watched many games last year with HV71 in SEL.
Sometimes you won't see Fiala, and sometimes he dominates the whole ice being the best of both teams even if he is 17 only. HV71 is a third tier team, the coming of Fiala almost lifted the team in the mid. But after the first games, he became less present ... and the team went back to 3rd tier team. (in the first 4 games, he had something like 7 points ... it was unreal)

He has a super IQ, super IQ being ... well above the high IQ's. He sees some things in advance ... . Knows how to break the pace (rythme). Has great skill. Actually he reminds me a bit Granlund/Wild in his passes. Same style. Thanks to this, he makes his linemates better. (Christiansen, a Canadian player that joined the team during the season ... with HV71, he was average at best. ... Then Fiala came from junior, in the mid of the year, he played with Christiansen who started scoring and ended up best scorer relative to number of games played with HV71)

If he heads for the CHL, he'll be a top scorer ... specially if he is teamed with another high flyer.

Ahh! and he is of small size and obviously younger than most other players, yet he seems to be a pack of muscle and is not that much played with by bigger players.

Last edited:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I really think the fact that Josi and Moser are in the organization will be great for him. Hopefully we can get a good fanbase over in Switzerland, and as more young guys hit UFA, they want to come play here.

I actually think this is part of a larger movement to make the Predators more international. North Americans tend to want to play in traditional hockey markets (Suter, Hamhuis), while Euros tend to like it more in smaller markets (Josi, Rinne). I think there is definite reasoning behind Poile acquiring guys like Jarnkrok, Forsberg, Fiala, etc. Of course, not every move follows this pattern, but I think we are going for Euros, generally speaking.
I think this is a good point. Never thought of it that way before.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
This kid is amazing.

I am pretty happy he landed here.

I watched many games last year with HV71 in SEL.
Sometimes you won't see Fiala, and sometimes he dominates the whole ice being the best of both teams even if he is 17 only. HV71 is a third tier team, the coming of Fiala almost lifted the team in the mid. But after the first games, he became less present ... and the team went back to 3rd tier team. (in the first 4 games, he had something like 7 points ... it was unreal)

He has a super IQ, super IQ being ... well above the high IQ's. He sees some things in advance ... . Knows how to break the pace (rythme). Has great skill. Actually he reminds me a bit Granlund/Wild in his passes. Same style. Thanks to this, he makes his linemates better. (Christiansen, a Canadian player that joined the team during the season ... with HV71, he was average at best. ... Then Fiala came from junior, in the mid of the year, he played with Christiansen who started scoring and ended up best scorer relative to number of games played with HV71)

If he heads for the CHL, he'll be a top scorer ... specially if he is teamed with another high flyer.

Ahh! and he is of small size and obviously younger than most other players, yet he seems to be a pack of muscle and is not that much played with by bigger players.

Nice intel friend. We drafted a center in the first round so I'm happy to see what happens.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Québec hosts the Memorial Cup next season so they already have a ticket in the tournament. I don't think I have to explain how excited we would be to have Fiala. With Anthony Duclair on his wing, it would be a dominant line.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I think this is a good point. Never thought of it that way before.

I got the idea from the dumbest of places, but I think it makes excellent sense.

I was playin NBA 2k13 and my player got drafted by the Toronto Raptors. One of the programmed in announcer tidbits was about hockey Toronto targets Euros because people who grow up playing basketball in the US want to play for the teams they watched as a kid (NY, Lakers, Bulls) and they found that people who had no attatchmets as kids would stay more. Odd to think of Toronto as the non traditional market, but it is for basketball.

The more I thought about that applying to Nashville, the more it made sense to me. A guy who grew up watching teams in Sweden wouldn't care about playing for a big market nearly as much as someone who grew up in canada or the states. There are exceptions of course, but I believe this is the general trend.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I just don't think you can win Cups with only Euros, though. You have to convince players to buy in to your city, and if they're longing for elsewhere, they won't play 100% for you every night (see: Suter, Ryan).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: