Prospect Info: 2014 1st Round Pick (#11 Overall) - Center - Kevin Fiala - (Signed ELC)

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
He's a kid that has excelled every place he's played. He left his own country for higher competition. This is a kid who knows he's good, possibly elite if the stars align. You'll usually get an attitude when that happens. He'll learn to use his teammates and he'll learn he's not Crosby. Unlike Radulov, Fiala has a brain between his ears. I think he'll spend some time in MIL and I don't see Evason putting up with an attitude. Lavy and the core group here definitely won't. I'm not worried about him right now.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Makes me wonder if its kind of like the genius that makes horrible grades in school, its boring and they know they are so much more.

Could be immaturity, but after being as close as he may have been to playing in the NHL he may just be a bit out of it.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
If you wanted Perlini because of potential character issues with Fiala, then I'll give it to you, but if you just preferred Perlini for other reasons then this is just pure coincidence and wouldn't have been a reason not to take him.
I wanted Perlini because I think he will be a better NHL hockey player. These reports are just telling me there is even more reason to have picked Perlini over Fiala. Time will tell I guess.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
These reports do make me a bit anxious. It's never a good thing when your top prospect at any given position is essentially riding the pine and in the dog house for bad behavior... still... Fiala is a young gun. He needs to calm his ego down a bit and just get to work.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
These reports do make me a bit anxious. It's never a good thing when your top prospect at any given position is essentially riding the pine and in the dog house for bad behavior... still... Fiala is a young gun. He needs to calm his ego down a bit and just get to work.

His coach is only doing that in order to allow him to mature more quickly I'd say. Yet he has already tallied 14 points in 19 games thus far with HV71 so I'm not worried about his future with the Preds or elsewhere in the NHL.

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis
Alex Radulov 2.0:rant:

From what I can tell, this guy is pissed because he's not playing in the NHL. I don't see the "I'm gonna run off to Russia in the middle of my contract for four years" issues in Fiala. He has attitude issues yeah but he's 18 and in the spotlight.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
From what I can tell, this guy is pissed because he's not playing in the NHL. I don't see the "I'm gonna run off to Russia in the middle of my contract for four years" issues in Fiala. He has attitude issues yeah but he's 18 and in the spotlight.

I agree. He's pissed because he thinks he should be playing in the NHL. I think that's great... but I wish he would using that to prove the coaching staff wrong by tearing up the SHL instead of having hissy fits. He's young so I'm not surprised or worried. He's not Radulov.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I was referring to his attitude and immaturity. Being mad because he was sent back to develop and sulking instead of trying to improve. Not good signs going forward. He should be happy he was drafted as high as he was.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I was referring to his attitude and immaturity. Being mad because he was sent back to develop and sulking instead of trying to improve. Not good signs going forward. He should be happy he was drafted as high as he was.

Wouldn't you be p*ssed too if you got sent back and then saw what certain players are producing for this Nashville team and going, I could at the very least be doing that?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Wouldn't you be p*ssed too if you got sent back and then saw what certain players are producing for this Nashville team and going, I could at the very least be doing that?

he needs to get over himself, if thats indeed what he's thinking.

he needs to aim higher than being better than Olli Jokinen

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
He and Fish are 2/3s of a third line... unfortunate timing for him that Poile signed every available run outta' town and over-the-hill C available. But he's 18 - needs to learn how to handle adversity other than sulking.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Anyone catch the tune up game of the Swiss against Canada tonight in the U-20 World Juniors? The swiss got shut out 4-0 so no point for Fiala, but was curious if he played and how well he did against strong players in his age group

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
They even lost 6-0, I thought Fiala stood out from the Swiss roster with some good moves, but it was hard for them to even break into the O-zone.
Fiala showed glimpses of his skill package, could be one of the tournaments highlight players.
Pretty chance less game overall for the swiss, result could've been even worse. Hope they can show up stronger when it matters.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
So all this talk about Fiala and his attitude and getting benched and other stuff people saying about red flags., I get it but he's a kid. I'd worry about it more if he were 25 and in the league for 5 years. Remember this, Getzlaf just got major penalty minutes for throwing a tantrum on the ice and he's 29, 30 years old? Perry does the same thing. I'd rather have a kid playing on the edge with emotion and having these shortcomings every now and again then having a kid who is a great kid but can't get it done on the ice. Fiala is a game breaker. He has elite speed. He plays with an edge/chip on his shoulder. Best analogy I could sort of make on an attitude level is Fiala is going to be the compliment to Forsberg the way that Kane is to Toews. Toews is the guy that gets the respect and is very business like and Kane is the one with the attitude with amazing skills. I see Forsberg being very much like Toews in this regard and Fiala even approaches what Kane does, watch out. I also think with the veteran leadership on this team, they'll put the kabbash on any attitude issues that may surface. Heck, Weber still takes penalties when his emotions get the better of him and I'm ok with that because of what he brings on the ice. Let's see what Fiala brings to the table once he's here as opposed to what's going on overseas. Is it a concern, sure, is it making me freak out, absolutely not. Saw him play at the prospects camp and he's dynamite on skates.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Anyone watching the Admirals? Fiala has 0 points in 3 games but the Admirals haven't been scoring a lot as a whole. How has Fiala looked?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00