Prospect Info: 2014 1st Round Pick (#11 Overall) - Center - Kevin Fiala - (Signed ELC)

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Fiala has traits the to be a center if a coach so desired.

I think Forsberg could be that playmaking #1 centerman that drives a line. Pretty sure he has played center overseas at least some. Jarnkrok will never be a #1 or at least not a start #1. He could turn into a strong #2 though. The thing is in the NHL you really need two lines that can put points up consistently. Even if Fiala moved to center down the road you wouldn't want all your stars on one line. It is better to split them more evenly throughout the top 6. In 3 year we could be looking at something like this though for our top 6.

Forsberg - randon veteran outcast here - Neal
Fiala - Jarnkrok - Smith

We simply lack top notch young talent down the middle. Maybe DP will fix that and you never know how he will do it. Right now though there isn't a #1 center in the pipe line.

Edit: Forgot about Kamanev. Maybe just maybe he could be the one. Time will tell.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
(i wrote it in the prospects thread ... before seeing this thread ... so it is a bis repetitae)

Little story about a Nashville prospect : Kevin Fiala

He was sent back to the SHL (Swedish Hockey league ... the big Swedish league)

He of course missed some games ... while his team and the league has now 15 games, he has only 6.

Well, since he came back to HV71, he is now 4th in the junior scoring list with 8 points (6 games), behind 3 ex-aequo players at 9 points with 15 games. (9 more than Fiala)
He has a 1,33 points per game, equivalent to the leaders of the SHL, which are 3 players of the same line and same team.
Fiala has an average TOI of 15 minutes while these 3 guys have an average TOI of 18 minutes
In all 6 games he played, he scored in 5 games, and all 6 games were won by his team.
His team scored 26 goals in these 6 games, 30 % of these goals had Fiala's touch. (8 points 3 goals, 5 assists).
in fact, before Fiala's return, HV71 scored 22 goals in 9 games (2.44 goal/game), after the return (with Fiala) they scored 26 goals in 6 games (4.33 goal/game)

Now, his team HV71 is leading the SHL championship while they were in the middle before his return.

That is what i call an impact player. 18 yrs old.

Preds have a diamond there !!

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
(i wrote it in the prospects thread ... before seeing this thread ... so it is a bis repetitae)

Little story about a Nashville prospect : Kevin Fiala

He was sent back to the SHL (Swedish Hockey league ... the big Swedish league)

He of course missed some games ... while his team and the league has now 15 games, he has only 6.

Well, since he came back to HV71, he is now 4th in the junior scoring list with 8 points (6 games), behind 3 ex-aequo players at 9 points with 15 games. (9 more than Fiala)
He has a 1,33 points per game, equivalent to the leaders of the SHL, which are 3 players of the same line and same team.
Fiala has an average TOI of 15 minutes while these 3 guys have an average TOI of 18 minutes
In all 6 games he played, he scored in 5 games, and all 6 games were won by his team.
His team scored 26 goals in these 6 games, 30 % of these goals had Fiala's touch. (8 points 3 goals, 5 assists).
in fact, before Fiala's return, HV71 scored 22 goals in 9 games (2.44 goal/game), after the return (with Fiala) they scored 26 goals in 6 games (4.33 goal/game)

Now, his team HV71 is leading the SHL championship while they were in the middle before his return.

That is what i call an impact player. 18 yrs old.

Preds have a diamond there !!
Have the been any more attitude issues? He was ejected once already

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Have the been any more attitude issues? He was ejected once already

i wouldn't focus on that.

He is a young kid ... 18 yrs old. He knows he is a star. (you know when you are better than the others in what you do). Healthy kids are not robots.

He was benched ... he learned ... their we go ... no big deal. (maybe he came back to Sweden with an "inflated head" and the coach corrected that ??)

Anyway, he seems to be a smart kid. (he learned Swedish in 1 yr and speaks like 4 languages ...not rare in Switzerland) If their are some attitude issues, he'll correct them.
IMO : Generally speaking, stars that have attitude problems when they are mature, are a bit stupid. Fiala is not stupid.

focus on the added value on his team.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
i believe Fialas ejection(and subsequent benching) was for getting angry at the refs or something like that.

It wasn't for bad attitude or bad habits in practice... more like youthful passion. I have no worries unless it becomes a repeated occurrence

Lif

Nov 3, 2013
i believe Fialas ejection(and subsequent benching) was for getting angry at the refs or something like that.

It wasn't for bad attitude or bad habits in practice... more like youthful passion. I have no worries unless it becomes a repeated occurrence
judging on interviews with the coach i am pretty sure it had something to do with an inflated head/unwillingness to do the work in his own end and just simply making too complicated plays.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
judging on interviews with the coach i am pretty sure it had something to do with an inflated head/unwillingness to do the work in his own end and just simply making too complicated plays.

maybe the benching, but not the ejection.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

not to start a big argument, but according to this article

he was punished for taking unnecessary penalties including abuse of officials

(hattip to MoserHockeyfor the link)

Last edited:

Lif

Nov 3, 2013
maybe the benching, but not the ejection.
Totally missread, sorry. :)
That was indeed for a stupid penalty in the last period, trying go get back in a game, and then whining to the ref about it.
Coach said after the game that he needs to learn how to be a pro - Fiala was benched the game after as well.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
He is young, i definitely wouldn't care too much about that type of behavior.

He is a kid. Has some warm blood and has frustrations when loosing. That is a good sign for a sportsman. I would be far more concerned if he was complacent with losses.
He'll learn to deal with his frustration.

And as said on an earlier post, older players with eccentricities and caprices tend to be generally stupid. Fiala ain't stupid.

van22

May 25, 2014
not to start a big argument, but according to this article

he was punished for taking unnecessary penalties including abuse of officials

(hattip to van22 for the link)

Didn't post that link...

That article omits to mention the rest of the original article where the coach downplays the issue and says that they have discussed the benching after the game and that there are no worries. In fact, he was upset with the effort of the whole team. Fiala does seem to draw a lot of media attention so his benching probably got more attention than it deserved.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Didn't post that link...

That article omits to mention the rest of the original article where the coach downplays the issue and says that they have discussed the benching after the game and that there are no worries. In fact, he was upset with the effort of the whole team. Fiala does seem to draw a lot of media attention so his benching probably got more attention than it deserved.

the link was in your blog, thats how I found it, and thank you for the additional comments.

van22

May 25, 2014
the link was in your blog, thats how I found it, and thank you for the additional comments.

But I don't have a blog... I like that you want to give credit to the source but it definitely is another poster that you want to reference.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
But I don't have a blog... I like that you want to give credit to the source but it definitely is another poster that you want to reference.

sorry, i finally had a chance to go back and look... it was MoserHockey

will correct my original post..

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
He'll be in our top 6 next season I think. We've got Ribs, Roy, Cullen, Fisher y'know some old boys one or more of them will need replacing and Fiala is the man to do that job.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
He'll be in our top 6 next season I think. We've got Ribs, Roy, Cullen, Fisher y'know some old boys one or more of them will need replacing and Fiala is the man to do that job.

All of those guys are free agents after the season is over. Granted, we're looking good right now and if it continues, it would make sense to bring back one or more of those guys. But for Fisher, with him and the lady expecting The Chosen Child somewhere near the end of the season, it wouldn't shock me if he calls it a career to focus on his family. I guess a one-year deal would be possible but I think that would open up a place for Fiala.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: