Prospect Info: 2014 1st Round Pick (#11 Overall) - Center - Kevin Fiala - (Signed ELC)

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I just don't think you can win Cups with only Euros, though. You have to convince players to buy in to your city, and if they're longing for elsewhere, they won't play 100% for you every night (see: Suter, Ryan).

By no means am I saying we will or should go with a 100% Euro team, all I'm saying is the general rule is that guys from Europe will be more likely to stay long-term than guys from Toronto/Minnesota/NY. That doesn't mean some guys from those states won't love it here, just that the odds are lower.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
By no means am I saying we will or should go with a 100% Euro team, all I'm saying is the general rule is that guys from Europe will be more likely to stay long-term than guys from Toronto/Minnesota/NY. That doesn't mean some guys from those states won't love it here, just that the odds are lower.

I'd love us to eventually draft a Brit when a good one appears!

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Interestingly enough, from an interview with Poile after day 2 the preds had Fiala very high on their board(as high as 5) and supposedly their euro scouts caught wind of him much sooner than some others might have.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Ehlers and Swiss wonderkid Fiala are childhood friends. (So are him and Caps 2013 1st rounder Burakowsky)

A YT clip surfaced with them playing together at peewee level :) They had some chemistry even back then :nod:

Ehlers with #27 and Fiala with #68

Just thought id share :)

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
cool to hear some Swiss German ... by these two kids.

One is happy of the achievements, and will see how it will be after (4th round) Ehlers,
and Fiala thinks they have to fight more.

++

And very probably, European players enjoy playing in NHL and are less regarding onto what team they play for. To play in NHL is already a big success. And often what team they will play for is determined (when not the draft) by personal links and connections.

Last edited:

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
He was my second choice with who was available. I still think Perlini is going to be a beast but at least we didn't pick another D.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Habs fan here with some kind of interesting news....

Québec Remparts in the QMJHL just informed Fiala that they are going to take him in the CHL Import Draft that will take place July 2nd. If he goes there....I will see him a lot of times as I watch tons of CHL games and especially the ones in the QMJHL. I'll give you guys some reports from time to time when I see him.

KreamofAskarov

Here for fun
Dec 26, 2010
Canada

Québec Remparts in the QMJHL just informed Fiala that they are going to take him in the CHL Import Draft that will take place July 2nd. If he goes there....I will see him a lot of times as I watch tons of CHL games and especially the ones in the QMJHL. I'll give you guys some reports from time to time when I see him.

I'm super excited for this, I will get to see my favorite prospect play.

I also think that it would be good for his development since he will be playing on a smaller ice surface sooner. Also the Remparts are hosting the Memorial Cup so they have a free ticket and Fiala will get a lot of experience hopefully.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm super excited for this, I will get to see my favorite prospect play.

I also think that it would be good for his development since he will be playing on a smaller ice surface sooner. Also the Remparts are hosting the Memorial Cup so they have a free ticket and Fiala will get a lot of experience hopefully.

Remains to be seen if he'll accept this though...

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Awesome. Hope he heads there. Quicker he gets on NA ice the better. Thanks for the insight.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
If he goes to Juniors there, that means he's at least 3-4 years out right? That seams like a long time for a early mid first round draft pick.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
If he goes to Juniors there, that means he's at least 3-4 years out right? That seams like a long time for a early mid first round draft pick.

Nope I think it could mean he is in Nashville sooner. If he acclimates to NA ice quickly and has a beastly season he could be in Milwaukee after a year.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Nope I think it could mean he is in Nashville sooner. If he acclimates to NA ice quickly and has a beastly season he could be in Milwaukee after a year.

If he goes to Juniors in NA, doesn't that mean he can't go to Milwaukee until he's 20? That was the case with Jones.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

If he goes to Juniors in NA, doesn't that mean he can't go to Milwaukee until he's 20? That was the case with Jones.

correct. Players on Canadian juniors cant play in the AHL until they are 20. They can play in the NHL, but if they play more than 9 games their ELC kicks in.

But expecting Fiala to be NHL ready before then is unrealistic anyway.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
correct. Players on Canadian juniors cant play in the AHL until they are 20. They can play in the NHL, but if they play more than 9 games their ELC kicks in.

But expecting Fiala to be NHL ready before then is unrealistic anyway.

Expecting him to be NHL ready may be unrealistic, but he could be AHL ready and that would kill his chances at that for a year.

MKMM

Jun 15, 2012

Usually thats right, but in Fialas case it's false because he was drafted out of the SHL and not out of the CHL.
So he don't has to play the next two seasons in the Q, he could play next season with Quebec and than a year in AHL.
But i think he is too good for the Q, he should rather stay in the SHL or go Milwauke next season

Last edited:

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Usually thats right, but in Fialas case it's false because he wasn't drafted from the SHL and not from the CHL.
So he don't has to play the next two seasons in the Q, he could play next season with Quebec and than a year in AHL.
But i think he is too good for the Q, he should rather stay in the SHL or go Milwauke next season

Yeah this is what I thought too. I suppose it wouldn't hurt for him to be in NA to get used to the smaller ice and many players have taken the jump from CHL to NHL pretty easily so I don't think it would be too bad.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Expecting him to be NHL ready may be unrealistic, but he could be AHL ready and that would kill his chances at that for a year.

we dont want him in the AHL until hes good and ready because AHL season burn the ELC.

Im fine with him playing junior in Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad