Prospect Info: 2013 Development Camp (July 3rd - July 7th)

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'd like to see Zach Hall get a contract he's a pretty good player and centers are always a good thing to have depth in. The Bulldogs are already looking better and the Habs still have four contracts left by my count.:handclap:They need another Dman or two IMO, big punishing Dmen like Teubert and A.Plante. Desjardins could be a good forward to add by the sound of his play.

I checked his stats and noticed Schiefle had 41 points in 21 playoff games for the Colts. :laugh:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Just came in. Here we go. First, sucks that De La Rose was finally out today. Surely a minor injury but not in game shape to play. I mean, honestly, probably the most frustrating camp ever as far as who weren't playing. I wanted to see Lehkonen and De la Rose so be in game situations. I also wanted to see Colin Sullvan. And see were Naatinen were at...nobody was playing.

- First thing is.....Greatest line BY FAR of this game....the Nystrom-Duffy-Collberg line. Wow....can you actually win a contract with 1 game? If so, get Ben Duffy a contract RIGHT AWAY. What an incredible game and not just because of his goals, but because of his overall vision, offensively and defensively, was able to cut some passes from the opponent, I mean he did everything right today. Impressive showing. Nystrom complemented him incredibly well, impressive showing by Nystrom today and Collberg was again, showing, that in the CHL, he would be D-O-M-I-N-A-T-I-N-G. Clear enough?

- Also Shaw, the hitting maching, who was probably hitting his teamtes when he was changing....that was his job, kid is looking for a 4th line....was it enough. Tried to show some skills at some point, not sure it worked.

- Fucale: Still some years to develop. Watch that glove Zach....you won't want people to think you've been to the Carey Price school of goalies....;)Oh and we were just behind something that was CLEARLY Fucale's family, without them, places would have been empty...(joking but there were surely 20 of them)

- McCarron: I have to say....looked a little out of breath. It is going fast right now and he was looking to breath. Kid might actually have indeed a broken nose. So I'm not sure it's solely a speed thing, seemed to me it's about his injury and there might be some cardio involved as well. But I tell you, once he fixes all that, we've got ourselves an intimidating very good prospect.

- In the category of "That was fun, okay bye". You have Brouillard, Cadorette, Dekort (though he was great in shootouts), Glass, Grassi (wasn't impressed today), Gravel (expected more somehow, looked intimidated), Guindon (didn't play today...), Hall (skates well but just invisible to me, Henley (big....but....just big), MacAulay (I'm afraid he didn't do enough...), Todd (totally irrelevant, skates well but still...), Trainor (hurts me to say this...but if he doesn't score....not sure there's any use to him, didn't see him that much today)

- In the category "Well there might be something there, still 50-50", I'd have Belzile (shows some good things, works hard, intelligent, wanted to see more today), Dea (kid wasn't afraid today, good speed, didn't do much offensively, but was often implicated in plays), Desjardins (got better as the game progressed...another one who despite his size, puts his nose where the danger is...), Murphy (I guess I'm biased...wasn't stellar today, still liked how simple he played the game today), Shaw (again....was that enough? Was his physical commitment enough to convince that he could be a 4th liner with the Dogs), Simonelli (My bias towards the NCAA tells me that this kid could be the Dogs Gorges. Everything simple, poised, calm. Will not put you in trouble.); Suellentrop (In the category of "vet" that could help with his simple game...here's another one)

Now.....for the rest....

- Beaulieu: Wow....just bad today. So much skills and do what you do, loses the puck often, skates well and then nothing happens. Shades of last year's Beaulieu. But in this camp where you HAVE to be better than everybody else....he looks the part...but the end-result was AWFUL.

- Leblanc: Looked determined and very good as the game progressed. I thought it was reassuring to see him the way he played. Really good game

- Andrighetto: Starting to question if the Dogs will have some room for him. I know...just one game. But I have the feeling that small for small, Reway looked MUCH better. There are a lot of bodies in Hamilton...can we let him go in Switzerland, take his pro game there, and then have him back here? I think it's really a good question....and not because I'm the one asking...

- Bennett: I count the days till we see him with the Dogs. My god....what a dream of a puck carrier and a skater. If Bennett would be Beaulieu's size....first he would not have been picked in the 3rd....but he would be our best d-man after Tinordi. Can't wait for this kid to arrive here.

- Boudens: Somehow.....I want him in Hamilton. His energetic pest style would be great to follow with the Dogs. Not the purest of skilled guy...on the contrary, but drives the net like crazy and makes things happen....I really like him.....but he might not be signed by us...but wouldn't be surprised to see the Dogs signing him. Typical AHL contract signing.

- Bournival: Good old Bournival. Skates well, great line today. Nice hands. Good overall game even if I expected a little more.

- Bozon: Pretty quiet all week long for me. There are something missing in his overall game. And when he misses the chances like he missed today....well it doesn't look incredible. Too quiet today for my liking

- Cichy: Was fun Mike. We'll watch you this year to see how you are doing....but you will not be back with us. Thanks though for the memories

- Condon: I love him. Starting to think that if he is loved the way I do, we might see a Condon and Mayer combo.

- Delmas: Tough day today, not sure he was weak though. Pretty shots that beat him.

- Didier: Just big and solid. Improved his puck skills though will never be an offensive d-man. But we do have a pretty solid defensive d-man in our hands.

- Dietz: Love the kid....but tough day today. Fumbled the puck often, and really wasn't that fast until....he put one heck of a slapper over Fucale's glove. A Fucale though that didn't have a stick 'cause he was banged in his net just previously.

- Ellis: Solid and reliable. Nothing spectacular

- Fournier: Had a pretty bad 1st part, took 2 bad penalties, but then, was better as the game progressed. Was driving the net, injured himself a little doing it. Still looked much more assertive as the game progressed.

- Grégoire: Totally invisible and when I was looking for him. Was indeed looking slow. That line with Andrighetto and McCarron was not clicking.

- Holland: Wow...just wow. Not that I was ready to write him off, but this kid has such a high IQ that he looked NHL ready. Looked one step ahead of everybody. Everything was going great for him today, great shot, great passes, great everything. Impressive.

- Hudon: Tough 1st minute, 2 turnovers on the 1st shift...pretty uneventful rest of the game though showed his skills throughout the game. Not an incredible showing though. With what we've seen from him, we could maybe eve put it as a bad game. But don't worry, he'll bounce right back

- MacMillan: Small Mac seems to want to add a physical aspect of his game and that's fine with me. Looks much more bigger than the last camp we saw him, he used the North Dakota facilities really really well. Rest of his game though was pretty meh....

- Pateryn: I just wouldn't want to play this guy. He pretty much had to restrained himself from not sending anybody in the hospital. I saw him breaking a whole lot of times to avoid big time collisions. Solid, tough and mean player. Not sure if he has the upside to ever make it as a regular NHL'er....but as of now, you'd love to think so.

- Quailer: Really tall. To me, this is kid we'll say goodbye too once his contract ends. My feeling.

- Reway: Really thin and small...but wants the puck so bad and really talented. If this kid could ever find a way to put some beef on that frame....we might forget who the 3rd Subban was....

- Thomas: Up and down game. Expected more for a guy who is borderline NHL'er. Shows his quick wrister but wasn't implicated that much in the game. Great speed...I have no idea what people were saying about him. Watch his technique...not that bad. I mean, I guess that his biggest problem would be to find 2 better teamates...But I do expect more from him....we did get rid of MY Danny Kristo....you've got to be MUCH better Mr.Thomas...;)

- Thrower: Uneventful. Tried to carry the puck a little more on the 2nd half of the game. Had a great hit on I don't remember who. Aside from that....nothing much

- Tinordi: Ahead of everybody. Nothing to see. Next.

- Vail: See him as a future big 3rd liner. Yet today....not his greatest skating day. Tough, really solid, great balance...but nothing in the offensve...and nothing in the legs.

I might have missed somebody, I'll come back to add him. Feel free to ask though I will be leaving for something real soon, coming back around supper time.

Last edited:

shakenbake7

Apr 7, 2009
I have to say that the player that impressed me most from that scrimmage was Collberg. He's a beautiful skater, extremely shifty, and that wrister is just as deadly as advertised. I walked out of there believing he has a good chance of becoming a first liner. Others who stood out (my own opinion... And I only saw the 2nd and 3rd periods):

- Bournival (tireless worker, incredible conditioning, more physical than I remember him)
- Stefan Fournier (great size, always seemed to be around the puck, I see why he got a contract)
- Samuel Henley (appeared to move well for a big guy, kept everything simple and played physical)
- Patrick Holland (has one heck of a wrister)
- Christian Thomas (fast, smart, laser of a shot, tireless worker, scored a beauty in the shoot out by deking out Fucale and going top shelf with the backhand)
- Nathan Beaulieu (looked like he wasn't trying, sometimes tried to do too much, but his skill level put all the other defensemen to shame)
- Mac Bennett (always seemed to make the right play in all zones. Can't remember how many times my buddy and I said "Bennett again")
- Josiah Didier (Incredible size, extremely mobile, smart player in his own end)
- Jarred Tinordi (as others have said, he shouldn't even be here. Could easily argue that he might have been the most impressive player but Collberg just had more of a "wow" factor)

Pretty sure the following players didn't suit up: Crisp, De La Rose, Lehkonen, Nattinen, MacAuley, Walsh, Nygren, Sullivan

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Thanks for the report Whitesnake.

I don't get your point, Hall is at our camp looking for a contract unlike Schiefele he's a 7th OV pick that Winnipeg already signed in his draft year.;)

My point is he was so dominant it's ridiculous. Makes me laugh:laugh:

Last edited:

TA1 Sports

@TA_Stephenson
Dec 3, 2011
Halifax NS
www.ta1sports.com
Maybe I'm a Ben Duffy hater, but I find it so hard to believe that he's ever going to make it. He's got the offensive tools to be effective offensively, but the kid has zero edge to his game. Maybe it's a personal preference thing. I've seen him play countless times, and he's softer then a wet paper bag. I've seen him shy away from the most slight possibilities of contact and at the detriment to the play going on.

He has 11 CAREER penalties in the Q. In 334 career regular season games *( 5 years)

Drives me crazy. Glad to hear that he's at least looked good in this camp, but I'm not buying it at all. I think he'll end up going the CIS route.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Thanks for the report Whitesnake.

My point is he was so dominant it's ridiculous. Makes me laugh:laugh:

Winnipeg should have kept him up but I guess they wanted to save the extra year and keep him longer before he really makes them pay as a UFA. Still they have him for 6yrs. for sure.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Thanks for the reports WS and shakenbake!!! Much appreciated! :handclap:

CoconutHockey*

Thanks a lot WhiteSnake for the report.
I was actually in Brossard as well this morning and for the most part (I'd say 90%) I agree with everything you said in your report, pretty accurate !

Here are a couple thoughts on the prospects :

- Condon : Played really good, made some key saves, good rebound control, didn't give up a goal in the 30 minutes he played.
- Delmas : Did not look good at all today, some questionable goals and almost scored in his own net at one point.
- Collberg : Best player by far on the ice today !! He was a constant threat with the puck, making smart passes, very quick decision making, NHL release. Very excited about this prospect.
- Nystrom : Apparently he had a really quiet week, but it was a very good performance for him this morning. His line with Collberg/Duffy was the best one and he fed Duffy with perfect passes on two of his goals.
- Duffy : Everything was clicking for him today, he is a threat around the net. He is indeed very offensively minded, sometimes cheating in the d-zone, but everything worked his way today, he probably had 2-3 2on1 that he failed to convert (always forcing a pass) in addition to his 3 goals. However, he wasn't much involved defensively, losing a lot of 1on1 battles and shying away from physical contacts all the time. It was a great showing indeed, but I would not offer him a contract (not even 1way AHL) due to the fact that we already have too many similar players ahead of him (Holland, Andrighetto, St.Pierre, Thomas).
- Hudon : He was absolutely terrible today. He looked like he didn't care, was way too casual, constantly turning the puck over (twice on his first shift of the game). However, I am not worried about him, with his showings at the WJC and in Hamilton, so I am not putting in too much weight on this game.
- Bournival : Just relentless, constantly buzzing and pressuring the puck. You always know what to expect with him, constant effort.
- Fournier : Wasn't impressed, big body, but he was pretty much invisible today. Might be a little let down after signing the big contract, I don't blame him.
- McCaron : BIG project.... He looked terrible today, always behind the play, did not create offense at all, not very physical. Even more concerning is that he lost a lot of 1on1 battles, getting outmuscled. I still believe he will be an NHLer down the line, but he is still very raw, I hope he goes the OHL way, but I wouldn't expect big numbers from him in his first season (< 1 PPG).
- Holland : Some good flashes, he is great at carrying the puck in the neutral zone (almost Gomez-like), also a sick snipe on Fucale's glove.
- Belzile : Some smart plays, always knows what to do with the puck before it comes to him, worked hard, but he did not stand out much.
- Leblanc : He was pretty good today, much much better than when I watched him in Hamilton last year. He looked more confident with the puck and also a little faster. Hopefully the summer training pays off. However, I am really worried about his potential, I don't think he will become more than a decent 3rd liner in the NHL. His on-ice vision is very limited, often keeping the puck in the neutral-zone when he should move it forward, also not so good hands, he is very predictable in his play, always makes the same moves. I don't really mind it as long as they work, but I have a feeling he won't be really effective against top NHL defencemen. Still have hope here !
- Henley/Trainor/Desjardins/Cichy/Dea/Gregoire : Totally invisible today, it was going too fast for them.
- Tinordi : A man among boys, just a steady presence on the back end, he makes it look easy.
- Beaulieu : Terrible game for him, looked like he did not care, was very nonchalant. Sometimes he had great rushes in the O-zone, keeping the puck for 15-20 seconds but then he would make a pass to nobody, causing a turnover, bad decision making overall. On a more positive note, he is such a fluid skater, so fast and he makes it look easy. I just wish he had a little more passion in his game.
- Ellis : Did not stand out, which is a good thing, steady, keeps it simple.
- Grassi/Gravel/Brouillard : Did not look very good, Grassi kept turning the puck over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Thanks WS, that's great that you take the time to do all those reports.

Now, can you elaborate a bit on Erik Nyström? What type of game did he play? Did he look like a guy with good hockey IQ out there?

Papa_Bear_21

Aug 2, 2005
To add to what WS and SB7 have shared (thanks guys btw), here are some thoughts that stood out to me...

Star line of the day: agree with WS
Although, I did not think Duffy was nearly as good when he did not play with the other two.

Star defenseman of the day: Tinordi - I was a little surprised by his offensive plays, although it was against minor leaguers, he seemed comfortable.

Best defensive duo of the day: Tinordi and Elis - Ellis might take another year or 2 to make it, but he's just one of those quiet defenders.

Overall thought: I don't know if it's the fact that it's summer camp or that the guys are not in full season shape or that there is a lot of overall speed, but I thought that most of the skaters were really motoring out there. I could not notice a marked difference in speed from one player to the next. But maybe that's just me.

Goat d-man of the day: Beaulieu - not sure what was wrong with him today, but wow was he bad. Breezer was behind the bench of the white team and I'm sure he was trying his best not to have an aneurism (either that or recalling some his worst moments as a Canadien :sarcasm:)

Fucale : very quick pads and very good movement skills, good glove (IMO) but he's not very big (not small either) so he's going to work on his technique to protect the top of the net. Got beat there twice (actually 3 times but the 3rd was after he had gotten run by Andrighetto, who was pushed on the play) and another time Holland wrang on off the cross bar. Good thing we have Waite as our goalie coach now.

Leblanc: This is where my opinion differs a little from WS's. I just continue to think that one of his big issues is his first 3-5 step acceleration / quickness and his edgework. I always get the impression that his skates are not sharpened properly.
His legs look bigger than in the past, so I dunno what the issue is, but maybe those "stories" we heard about the coaches in Hamilton working on his skating stride last year might not be so far in left field. Hope he can improve, cause I'm pulling for him.

Colberg: When he skates, with his hair cut, he reminds me a little of Erik Karlsson. He's got a lot of skills and he's got what looks like a projectable frame, I'm excited to see how he develops over the next couple of years.

Thomas: Was surprised to see his frame. He's short, but he's bigger than Andrighetto, Nyquist, Colberg, Reway, and Hudon. And there was one play where he tried to take Tinordi wide off the rush. Tinordi cut him off and directed him to the corner. Bad situation for Thomas right? Not at all, he fought off Tinordi trying to pin him against the boards (keeping control of the puck with his strong hand) and was able to get free behind the net. Tinordi is not as strong as he eventually will be, but count me impressed!
Dunno if he's going to make it, but I'm a little more intrigued now.

Andrighetto: He's small but a lot thicker than Reway. He didn't stand out too much today but his frame looks projectable to someone who could add a lot more strength in the future.

Reway: My one comment is that I watched a highlight video of his last night and there were a lot of plays where he would steal the puck at one of the bluelines and be off on a breakaway. Well what do you know, there he was doing the exact same thing in the game. Could not finish though.

Mac Bennett : He's a lot thicker than in previous years. Still skates really well. Dunno if he has any other plus skill (vision, passing, shot) that will allow him to put up major points in the NHL, but you can never have enough good puck moving d-men. Still looking forward to seeing the type of production he can put up at Michigan this year.

MacMillan: He's a lot bigger than what he was listed at when he was drafted. Looked a little top heavy though. Was active, but was not too productive. Still got some ways to go.

Bozon: Did not think he was that tall. I'm a little excited only because I was more under the impression that he had a Pleckanec type body, but he was taller than Bournival and was not a tooth pick.

McCarron: He's not just a big body. I was surprised how well he moved for such a large body. Not totally smooth yet, but he does not lumber. I even thought he could change direction pretty well too.
But the reports about him being un-creative offensively showed up for me. But he's got good hands, tho. Even looked good in the shootout. He's just got slowly but surely be willing to try new things.

Didier: Big, strong, mobile. Trending towards being a solid 4-6 defensive d-man.

Hudon: Was not too impressed by him today, but he has a phenomenal ability to win puck battles for such a small guy. It's amazing really.

Thrower: He's shorter than I thought he'd be. A little smaller too. It may take him a little longer to make it cause I think he may have to learn how to translate his game to the pros. Maybe a little like Brad Ference.

Dea: Just a word on him. He plays quick and with tempo but he's just so small. Forget short, I mean weight and strength. Live in the gym my boy, live in the gym.

I think "ca fait le tour". If anything else pops up, I'll add.
Hope it was worth it for you guys...

Last edited:

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Those Tinordi reports really surprise me, not because I don't like the kid ( FAR FROM IT!!), it's just that big defensive defensmens rarely "stand-out" in camps like these. I'm simply crossing my fingers that he comes into the real camp a lot heavier and ready to hurt people.

CoconutHockey*

Maybe I'm a Ben Duffy hater, but I find it so hard to believe that he's ever going to make it. He's got the offensive tools to be effective offensively, but the kid has zero edge to his game. Maybe it's a personal preference thing. I've seen him play countless times, and he's softer then a wet paper bag. I've seen him shy away from the most slight possibilities of contact and at the detriment to the play going on.

He has 11 CAREER penalties in the Q. In 334 career regular season games *( 5 years)

Drives me crazy. Glad to hear that he's at least looked good in this camp, but I'm not buying it at all. I think he'll end up going the CIS route.

Totally agree with you, he was very good offensively today in the game, lots of poise with the puck. But like I said in my report, he was afraid to go in the corners, avoiding every possible physical contact. I was also afraid people would hype him so much after scoring 3 goals today. He is a threat offensively, but too many weaknesses to his game to justify an AHL deal.

shakenbake7

Apr 7, 2009
Those Tinordi reports really surprise me, not because I don't like the kid ( FAR FROM IT!!), it's just that big defensive defensmens rarely "stand-out" in camps like these. I'm simply crossing my fingers that he comes into the real camp a lot heavier and ready to hurt people.

I know he was playing mostly against junior level players, but If he keeps playing the way he did today, Therrien won't be able to cut him with a gun to his head. He thinks the game so well and his size/mobility combination is scary. He's gotten much better at moving the puck, but you'll probably still never see him get any PP time. He's going to quickly become the first guy you'll want on the ice when holding a lead.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

NHL skating and vision, changes everything.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I really like the reports concerning our defensive prospects and some of our less heralded forwards. It's awesome to see that Collberg's looking like a first line prospect, but it's also great to hear about Nystrom and Holland.

One thing that I didn't hear about: Didier seems to be really big, mobile, strong, and solid. Does he hit? Hard, preferably?

samsquanch9*

could he make the nhl this year?

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
Thanks to everyone for their reports!

I wasn't Collberg's biggest fan but after reading these updates, I'm getting pretty excited to see him play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad