Prospect Info: 2013 Development Camp (July 3rd - July 7th)

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
So Collberg stood out at the development camp, eh? Will the "jesus christ he's not scoring and thus not developing, quick kidnap him and put him in the CHL!!!1" finally stop?

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
So Collberg stood out at the development camp, eh? Will the "jesus christ he's not scoring and thus not developing, quick kidnap him and put him in the CHL!!!1" finally stop?

Agree but at the sametime it's better for any hockey player to get playing time than to play on a 4th line with limited time on ice no mater what league we are talking about.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Probably not, but I'd still like to invite you to stick around. :)

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
Thanks guys for all the report. I'm a little concerned about Beaulieu's attitude with fans from what I heard here and some place else....

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Thanks guys for all the report. I'm a little concerned about Beaulieu's attitude with fans from what I heard here and some place else....

I wouldn't worry too much. If they get too out of hand, he and his old man will beat the bad fan attitude out of them.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Maybe I'm a Ben Duffy hater, but I find it so hard to believe that he's ever going to make it. He's got the offensive tools to be effective offensively, but the kid has zero edge to his game. Maybe it's a personal preference thing. I've seen him play countless times, and he's softer then a wet paper bag. I've seen him shy away from the most slight possibilities of contact and at the detriment to the play going on.

He has 11 CAREER penalties in the Q. In 334 career regular season games *( 5 years)

Drives me crazy. Glad to hear that he's at least looked good in this camp, but I'm not buying it at all. I think he'll end up going the CIS route.

Don't get me wrong. I think I had Duffy as a ND for every draft we had where he was available. Yet, he deserved an invitation. And I was just reporting what I saw today. Yes, his game isn't about physicality. Yet, I wouldn't say he was running away from being hit. But will clearly not initiate a whole lot to say the least. But then, all that being said, he was the most visible offensive player of the day. And again, wasn't only about the goals.

Thanks WS, that's great that you take the time to do all those reports.

Now, can you elaborate a bit on Erik Nyström? What type of game did he play? Did he look like a guy with good hockey IQ out there?

Nystrom showed some great IQ as far as positional play, reading the play in all 3 zones, really dynamic skater...I was really surprised.

Thanks to everyone for their reports!

I wasn't Collberg's biggest fan but after reading these updates, I'm getting pretty excited to see him play.

And you have to be. Future top 6 NHL player.

Figured I'd mention this...Went to camp friday and saturday. Had an hour long talk with Mac Bennett's dad and his dad's buddy. It's actually the second time I talk to his dad, 2 years ago he was here with his wife and was telling me and a buddy how Mac chose the NCAA route over the choice to play in Gatineau, then Hamilton. But it was just a quick convo.

They were impressed by Andrighetto Saturday as he was dominating with dangles, and his dad's friend is a huge long time habs fan. Real cool guys, they told me the height and weights for this camp were from last year because I mentioned Mac looked alot bigger and they said ya, now he's at 195 and it's listed at like 180 something...They said his upper body/arms got huge.

Also noticed a lot of people here talking about his skating, well when Mac's dad left for a minute to go grab a drink, his buddy was expressing his dislike of Tortorella and mentioned how he called out Hagelin in the playoffs and all that, then he goes "hey, his dad won't talk about it much, but Mac used to beat Hagelin in races all the time in college"...and he can fly.

Real good hockey family, they love the city, and come down every year just to enjoy the sights and festivities, restos/bars around the arena.

He just got named captain of the Wolverines the other week and should join Hamilton late in the season, could be big surprise to most fans.

Won't be to me. Thanks for that piece of info. I wished I would have had that privilege. Somebody call me an honourary member of the Wolverines please!!!! Would love to see 1 game at the Yost. My dream.

Can Bennett be compared to Nick Leddy? Jack of all trades, master of none with fantastic skating.

Actually, not a bad comparison. Though, I would suspect that when all is said and done, I prefer Bennett's defensive IQ than Leddy.

I hope they will. Yet, personnally, I do wonder if not racking the points couldn't play on somebody's head and put his confidence down a litte. If not, if it improves his overall play so that when he comes here, he not only racks up the points but plays a great overall game....I wouldn't mind. Personnally, I would have hope that he played in the CHL mostly because of 2 things...would have been great to see a kid doing so well statswise....and it would have shut up so many negatives reviews based on stats from people who don't really follow the kid's progression....but that's totally selfish on my part.

So, I guess Dea hasn't made a good impression?

I would say that today he made an okay impression. But it shouldn't be enough.

Totally agree with you, he was very good offensively today in the game, lots of poise with the puck. But like I said in my report, he was afraid to go in the corners, avoiding every possible physical contact. I was also afraid people would hype him so much after scoring 3 goals today. He is a threat offensively, but too many weaknesses to his game to justify an AHL deal.

I wouldn't go that far as far as physical contact. Actually today, he made me think of Ben Maxwell. To which we gave approximately the same exact bashing he deserved as far as physical contact and yet...he was pretty effective statswise in the AHL. Now...will that be enough for the Habs one day...surely not. But again, being effective in the AHL and giving them one more threat offensively might be great for them. Now, the question is....was that a fluke? Yet, he had the season he had this year. So the offensive talent is there. And he proved it playing with Nystrom and Collberg. What if you put him with 2 guys who does play physical? Honestly, it might not be enough, we are extremely tight on contracts. Could he be worth a Bulldogs contract instead? If they think he could play like that or something close to it I say...why not?

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

I wouldn't bet on it. :laugh: But Collberg will silence the critics with time.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
If that's your biggest concern about Beaulieu, then trust me - you have nothing to worry about. Beaulieu will be fine.

I'm sure you can be a d#ck and be a great hockey player but I've always been a bit iffy on him. His intangibles seem lousy.

I'm not saying he's going to bust but I'm not holding my breath for him becoming as good as his physical skill set should dictate.

Obviously hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't quite live up to expectations.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm sure you can be a d#ck and be a great hockey player but I've always been a bit iffy on him. His intangibles seem lousy.

I'm not saying he's going to bust but I'm not holding my breath for him becoming as good as his physical skill set should dictate.

Obviously hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't quite live up to expectations.

Hamilton brings out your inner redneck.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Hamilton brings out your inner redneck.

hahaha, for a second there you scared the crap out of me because I thought you knew I was from Hamilton and I was like 'what the...' until I re read that sentence and realized you were talking about NB!

I don't know though, living in BC now and I think BC is way more rednecky than Hamilton is. Kelowna has like 2 black people, if that.

PricePkPatch*

Don't waste.your breath. I have been almost convicted of heresy for daring to suggest trading N8 the Great in exchange for a big, young and talented winger.

N8 is apparently ESSENTIAL to our future lineup and therefore WILL NOT BUST in any ways.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Don't waste.your breath. I have been almost convicted of heresy for daring to suggest trading N8 the Great in exchange for a big, young and talented winger.

N8 is apparently ESSENTIAL to our future lineup and therefore WILL NOT BUST in any ways.

Hyperbole is a great way to make your point.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
With our very high first pick last season, it was mostly between Chucky, Grigs, FForsberg when it came to a forward. So I tried watching what I could from each of them... In the streamed U-18 games, to me, Forsberg was consistently being outplayed by Collberg who I didn't know before except by name. Forberg was bigger, he was a leader, and had thus more upside was the argument for him going higher. Still, Collberg was then looking much better.

This season when reviewing the Sweden WJC games to check out Lindholm, DLR, Hagg and Wennberg, I kept being mesmerized by Collberg who seemed like Team Sweden's offensive go-to-guy on their first line and PP.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

I'd trade Galchenyuk for a generational talented young big center. Please don't convict me people.

Analyzer*

About as likely as "OMG TRADE PRICE NOW"

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
With our very high first pick last season, it was mostly between Chucky, Grigs, FForsberg when it came to a forward. So I tried watching what I could from each of them... In the streamed U-18 games, to me, Forsberg was consistently being outplayed by Collberg who I didn't know before except by name. Forberg was bigger, he was a leader, and had thus more upside was the argument for him going higher. Still, Collberg was then looking much better.

This season when reviewing the Sweden WJC games to check out Lindholm, DLR, Hagg and Wennberg, I kept being mesmerized by Collberg who seemed like Team Sweden's offensive go-to-guy on their first line and PP.

Collberg was rather unimpressive at the WJC last year. He was producing on PP but that was about it. He had a nagging leg injury that made him skate pretty slow.

But he was clearly not the leader offensively for Sweden, that would be Lindholm and Forsberg.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Collberg was rather unimpressive at the WJC last year. He was producing on PP but that was about it. He had a nagging leg injury that made him skate pretty slow.

But he was clearly not the leader offensively for Sweden, that would be Lindholm and Forsberg.

He was extremely effective on the PP though despite clearly not skating at 100%.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
Cool to hear that Collberg is doing great. IMO, there are high probabilities that he becomes a top-6 forward. Also, I'm hoping that Tinordi can become a force in the NHL next season. We will need him ready for sure. But if he isn't, it's sad but not the end of the world.

He's like a goon compared to Zach O'brien.

Exactly, Ben Duffy isn't physical by any means, but he isn't soft. Physicality isn't his game. In the Q, he didn't shy away from traffic and he wasn't affraid to be hit if it meant to finish a play. His game is: be smarter than the other team. I don't know what happened during the camp but nobody can question his work ethic. He isn't good defensively, but it isn't because he doesn't care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad