TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Toth's alternative definition of "average". You could almost see Westwood getting ready to blow his own brains out to escape Toth's reality. :laugh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Toth was saying Nichols was around the 7th best QB in the league and called him average. Westwood was saying that's below average. Toth argued because there are only nine teams all the QBs are at least average.

It seems like a fundamental misunderstanding of what an average is... :laugh:

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
There's a difference between average QB and average starting QB.

Each team employs at least 3 qbs, so an average QB would be a 2nd stringer, which is pretty damning criticism of a teams starter. An average starter on the other hand would have to be the 4-6 best in the league IMO.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
There's a difference between average QB and average starting QB.

Each team employs at least 3 qbs, so an average QB would be a 2nd stringer, which is pretty damning criticism of a teams starter. An average starter on the other hand would have to be the 4-6 best in the league IMO.

I think that's what he meant.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
When Toth goes on a rant - and tries to be funny at the same time, the results are always cringe-inducing. He picked Patrick Roy as one of his top five most-hated athletes yesterday and the rant he went on to explain the choice was just the height of idiocy...

I'm still not digging Kevin O either. Not a fan of the cadence of his monologue.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I never thought myself a fan of Munz but I thought he was pretty good. Don't know if it's true but it seemed like he used a few of his own contacts to get a bit more hockey related stuff on the show and did a good job interviewing.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I never thought myself a fan of Munz but I thought he was pretty good. Don't know if it's true but it seemed like he used a few of his own contacts to get a bit more hockey related stuff on the show and did a good job interviewing.

I've noticed that about Munz. He seems to get current Jet players on the radio easier than other hosts. Helps that he travels with the team.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Is it OT or out of place to discuss the UMFM "Hockey Show" here?
Not sure it deserves its own thread?

We could retitle this thread as a "Media" thread to allow discussion of all media outlets (TSN, TSN1290, Sportsnet, UMFM, etc, etc).

Might diversify the conversation a bit. Thoughts from all?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
We could retitle this thread as a "Media" thread to allow discussion of all media outlets (TSN, TSN1290, Sportsnet, UMFM, etc, etc).

Sounds good, the big local rags coverage of both the Jets and Blue Bombers has gotten worse by the year with the shuffling of writers many who now cover sports we're never sports guys to begin with and have no clue!

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

include the blogs (arctic ice hockey/jetsnation) and newspapers as well?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
include the blogs (arctic ice hockey/jetsnation) and newspapers as well?

More "broadcast" related - for Arctic Ice, Jetsnation, etc - probably best to post threads regarding specific articles that people want to discuss.

A huge mega-thread probably won't be all that interesting as stuff is going to get buried, but a catch-all for broadcast media might be more useful than just a TSN1290 thread?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
more "broadcast" related - for arctic ice, jetsnation, etc - probably best to post threads regarding specific articles that people want to discuss.

A huge mega-thread probably won't be all that interesting as stuff is going to get buried, but a catch-all for broadcast media might be more useful than just a tsn1290 thread?

do eeeeeeeeeet!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'm just listening to Kevin O here and I don't know...he sounds like an over-enthusiastic telemarketer to me much of the time. You know what I mean? The phone rings and you pick up and right off the bat the guy on the other end is trying to sound like he's an old friend of yours. "HEYYYYYY! How you doing? Are you having a good day???? Awesome!" lol...not a hint of sincerity there.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
More "broadcast" related - for Arctic Ice, Jetsnation, etc - probably best to post threads regarding specific articles that people want to discuss.

A huge mega-thread probably won't be all that interesting as stuff is going to get buried, but a catch-all for broadcast media might be more useful than just a TSN1290 thread?

Ok so I caught the last few minutes of the "Hockey Show" earlier this week on UMFM. I'll try to be kind as I was pleasantly surprised that in the middle of the summer there were people talking Jets on a non-traditional radio station for such things. While I COMPLETELY disagreed with almost everything they said it was refreshing to hear different voices and people that "seemed" to be passionate about the NHL and the Jets.

The reason for the quotation marks was really their lack of knowledge (it seems) on the subject matter. In a short period of time (3 to 5 minutes) they referred to Kyle Connor as "Chris Connor", Brendan Lemieux was Brandon Lemieux.

According to them Mason is a terrible goalie - of course their only reason for saying that was last years stats (completely ignoring the previous 3 years and or the second half of last year where he played quite a bit better... some people forget the 10 game win streak).

In their opinion Connor and Roslovic would be the only reason to watch the Moose this year??? When the second host challenged the first that Comrie was still down there he shrugged that off. No one bothered to point out that Connor was unlikely to be on the Moose.

They both picked the Jets to crash and burn miserably and gave zero chance of the playoffs or improvement.

I like the extra Jets talk but would have preferred to hear people a little bit more familiar with the subject.

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
Why does Toth choose to pronounce athletes names incorrectly? It's so infuriating. He's done it a bunch but the other morning when he refused to pronounce Nadal's name correctly I had to switch stations and didn't switch back to 1290 for the rest of the day. This isn't some obscure athlete, this is Rafael Nadal, one of the all time tennis greats. Nails on a chalkboard.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm just listening to Kevin O here and I don't know...he sounds like an over-enthusiastic telemarketer to me much of the time. You know what I mean? The phone rings and you pick up and right off the bat the guy on the other end is trying to sound like he's an old friend of yours. "HEYYYYYY! How you doing? Are you having a good day???? Awesome!" lol...not a hint of sincerity there.
Kevin O is horrible , his voice is horrible , just a bad pick by 1290 . :shakehead

1430MaroonsRoad

Sep 14, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Why does Toth choose to pronounce athletes names incorrectly? It's so infuriating. He's done it a bunch but the other morning when he refused to pronounce Nadal's name correctly I had to switch stations and didn't switch back to 1290 for the rest of the day. This isn't some obscure athlete, this is Rafael Nadal, one of the all time tennis greats. Nails on a chalkboard.

Zach "Ru-winski" of the Columbus Blue Jackets is the one that stood out most to me during the hockey season.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Ok so I caught the last few minutes of the "Hockey Show" earlier this week on UMFM. I'll try to be kind as I was pleasantly surprised that in the middle of the summer there were people talking Jets on a non-traditional radio station for such things. While I COMPLETELY disagreed with almost everything they said it was refreshing to hear different voices and people that "seemed" to be passionate about the NHL and the Jets.

The reason for the quotation marks was really their lack of knowledge (it seems) on the subject matter. In a short period of time (3 to 5 minutes) they referred to Kyle Connor as "Chris Connor", Brendan Lemieux was Brandon Lemieux.

According to them Mason is a terrible goalie - of course their only reason for saying that was last years stats (completely ignoring the previous 3 years and or the second half of last year where he played quite a bit better... some people forget the 10 game win streak).

In their opinion Connor and Roslovic would be the only reason to watch the Moose this year??? When the second host challenged the first that Comrie was still down there he shrugged that off. No one bothered to point out that Connor was unlikely to be on the Moose.

They both picked the Jets to crash and burn miserably and gave zero chance of the playoffs or improvement.

I like the extra Jets talk but would have preferred to hear people a little bit more familiar with the subject.

Sounds like my kind of show. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad